• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgar Ijmuiden

Stan Wickham (3)
NSW Rowing rules which the GPS rowing use: A school competitor is one who is a bona fide school student of a registered school and who is under 19 years of age throughout the current season. This definition also applies to the coxswain of a school crew. This means that if you turn 19 the week after the HOR you are still eligible, you just cant actually be 19 during the season.

Hi Barry, that is interesting. I tried to find the definition of 'season' in the LoBR. When GPS adopts the RNSW rules the season for RNSW isd different to GPS. Also for RNSW the age is based on the age on the 31st of Dec that year. Which means if a schoolboy turns 19 in the calender year when the HOTR takes place he can't compete. Would love to get some clarity. It will also sort pathway kids out (I am referring to the schools pathway, not the RA pathway for U19 rowers)

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I have never witness anybody taking money to leave as a deposit. What happens if it blows off and ends up in the drink? You loose your money and what the school goes out and buys a new number at the bow number shop.

I have had a small collection of bow numbers in my bag that I have collected from the bank at Nepean / Hen & Chicken - in the car park of a boat shed. I have tried my best to return them but I have two at the moment. PLC does not say which one and a Normo again does not say which one.

This GPS thing is a beast of it's own.

Socks in boats basic hygiene really - stop blisters - I always see people getting in and pushing off only to stop a little way out for everybody to get their socks from being tucked in the bottom of their zootie and settle in. I would not have it any other way.

Yuck is a word that springs to mind - I have seen girls wearing rubgy socks I have seen boys wearing rugby socks. Socks to me 101. Not wearing socks is just wrong.

I am a girl but - as we now all know.

There is no cash register at the finish tower. If a bow number is lost, blown off or not present on the bow of a boat at the start, then it is noted by the starter. A fine can be sent to the school or club by RNSW for not having a bow number. They'll just pay it as part of outgoings, be a bit pissed off but get over it. I guess the fine for either non-return or loss covers the replacement. A club can pass on the fine to an individual sculler but dunno what they do for crews… haven't experienced that yet.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I have never witness anybody taking money to leave as a deposit. What happens if it blows off and ends up in the drink? You loose your money and what the school goes out and buys a new number at the bow number shop.

I have had a small collection of bow numbers in my bag that I have collected from the bank at Nepean / Hen & Chicken - in the car park of a boat shed. I have tried my best to return them but I have two at the moment. PLC does not say which one and a Normo again does not say which one.

This GPS thing is a beast of it's own.

Socks in boats basic hygiene really - stop blisters - I always see people getting in and pushing off only to stop a little way out for everybody to get their socks from being tucked in the bottom of their zootie and settle in. I would not have it any other way.

Yuck is a word that springs to mind - I have seen girls wearing rubgy socks I have seen boys wearing rugby socks. Socks to me 101. Not wearing socks is just wrong.

I am a girl but - as we now all know.

Gotta tough up there LBA. Adolescent boys stink at the best of times. Different approach for girls… as I said they're far more diligent. Bit of Tineaderm on the feet afterwards works wonders.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
The draw is out for the Grammar regatta this weekend. Slightly different race format for the 1st VIII's, with there basically being two races with the full GPS field, compared to last Saturday when there was a heat and a final with only six crews in the final. This will see all the crews race off against each other for the first time this season which is a better scenario in my opinion. The first race is a 'heat' but they all go through to the final, and I would assume the lane draw in the final would be different based on the results in the heats.

No one wants to go to all the effort and turn up to SIRC for one race especially in the GPS. That's why they still had a B Final last week in the senior eights, so crews get two hit outs.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Another concern! Did anybody else hear the announcement that cox's did not have to weigh in - what the? And I saw boys not wearing socks in the boats. To the best of knowledge rowing rules are rowing rules - 50kg for cox's and they need to weigh in 1hr before the race.

Wearing socks in shoes is rowing 101.

Also the boys went to get bow numbers and they needed money - I had one mother sitting next to me scratching in her purse for $10 - I looked on the website and there was nothing to say that.

The boys who do end up at Nationals are going to get a rude shock.

Oh and I was not panicking I was impressed and relieved I am not a coach.

Don't want to get into specifics (though I'm dreading the response…) But the GPS rowing at times do have their own interpretations of the rules. I've heard of very scary GPS coaches bailing up RNSW officials when it's a GPS regatta (not a RNSW regatta). The Joeys 2nd IV (I think it was them) had a decision reversed at the HOTR a couple of years ago and were reinstated onto the podium after the GPS convenors convinced the RNSW officials a technical decision shouldn't stand.

L

LBA

Don't want to get into specifics (though I'm dreading the response…) But the GPS rowing at times do have their own interpretations of the rules. I've heard of very scary GPS coaches bailing up RNSW officials when it's a GPS regatta (not a RNSW regatta). The Joeys 2nd IV (I think it was them) had a decision reversed at the HOTR a couple of years ago and were reinstated onto the podium after the GPS convenors convinced the RNSW officials a technical decision shouldn't stand.

I agree with you fpiglet - I have never heard of a cash tin at the tower but there was last Saturday - seriously her son came up and said Mum have you got money - I need to pick up my bow number. She found $10 actually $20 because her son yelled to another boy who was running back to the boat park to get money and said my Mum has money.

At the end of the Regatta - she made her son go and get the bow numbers and return them to the tower and she got her $20 back. Lovely lady by the way.

So what I am hearing is that there two sets of rules - which is a worry. You don't want young men with bad feet who stink thinking that they are better than everybody else - I am starting to see why these GPS Rowing parents are very confident - they are in their little bubble.

If you learn to drive you have a set of rules that you have to learn - everybody all the same. Why not the same in rowing - I suppose it really does not matter - the majority of GPS Rowers stop at the end of Yr12. Hear I was thinking that opportunities could exist for them to progress but it rarely happens. I say again - AAGPS Rowing a beast.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I agree with you fpiglet - I have never heard of a cash tin at the tower but there was last Saturday - seriously her son came up and said Mum have you got money - I need to pick up my bow number. She found $10 actually $20 because her son yelled to another boy who was running back to the boat park to get money and said my Mum has money.

At the end of the Regatta - she made her son go and get the bow numbers and return them to the tower and she got her $20 back. Lovely lady by the way.

So what I am hearing is that there two sets of rules - which is a worry. You don't want young men with bad feet who stink thinking that they are better than everybody else - I am starting to see why these GPS Rowing parents are very confident - they are in their little bubble.

If you learn to drive you have a set of rules that you have to learn - everybody all the same. Why not the same in rowing - I suppose it really does not matter - the majority of GPS Rowers stop at the end of Yr12. Hear I was thinking that opportunities could exist for them to progress but it rarely happens. I say again - AAGPS Rowing a beast.

Maybe that rower had priors!

GPS rowers learn that club land is a different country. As mentioned before, no one blows smoke up their proverbial in club land. The reasons why the majority of school leavers flick rowing is rich and diverse but those who do stick with it can go far.

L

LBA

Oh one last question but - we have talked about coaches but are they coaches with coaching certificates or just old boys who think they are special?

We have talked about the 1st and 2nd VIII coaches - am I wrong to assume they have the coaching level certificates - I think the highest is Level 4??

These boys would be taught by people who have not played or rowed outside a GPS environment. Again a small protected community. If this is so why get Rowing NSW BRO's to turn up at all? They volunteer their time put fuel in their cars because ??? Then sometimes get bailed up NICE - no wonder why they are ancient and keep to themselves protection. They will become and endangered species.

L

LBA

Thank you fpiglet - I needed a good laugh - having a bloody awful day.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Oh one last question but - we have talked about coaches but are they coaches with coaching certificates or just old boys who think they are special?

We have talked about the 1st and 2nd VIII coaches - am I wrong to assume they have the coaching level certificates - I think the highest is Level 4??

These boys would be taught by people who have not played or rowed outside a GPS environment. Again a small protected community. If this is so why get Rowing NSW BRO's to turn up at all? They volunteer their time put fuel in their cars because ??? Then sometimes get bailed up NICE - no wonder why they are ancient and keep to themselves protection. They will become and endangered species.

Probably most would have the requisite coaching certificates mainly because to get a job these days you need to tick all the boxes for OHS, first aid, boat licence, job specs etc. Many coaches are ex GPS but there would be plenty who aren't - you may find that Sarah Cook or Beryl Crockford could be considered good examples of non-GPS background rowers (can't remember why though…. hmm) but have lots of experience as competitors. In the lower/younger grades you'll find quite a few who don't have certificates, just enthusiasm and keenness to learn on the job. Most coaches, I think, just have racked up the experience over the years and probably just pick up a L2 or L3 or L4 because the school pays for it. Wouldn't have thought someone like Bob Shirlaw (who isn't a GPS old boy) set out to get his straight away when he first started coaching or Michael Morgan (who is) etc.

The BROs seem like a tough crowd. They can give as good as they can get especially at the start.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Redlands entering crews in all fours and 5 Yr9 quads(*), while Canberra Grammar sending up 2 fours and a Yr10 VIII. And Shore has a 3rd VIII - always a good sign for depth in the shed. Great to see all round.
(*) Must be getting busy down at Mosman RC with Redlands, Auggies, Loreto, and Queenwood fighting for space with the 1000's of masters floating around.
PS just noted the ISRA regatta is on Sunday, which explains CGS' presence.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
All could be bar High and Grammar given within Protestantism the word "catholic" is generally taken in the sense of "universal" and in this sense many leading Protestant denominations identify themselves as part of the catholic church. The Anglican high church likes to think of itself as Anglo-Catholicism but I know that Shore is definitely low church - not sure about Kings.

Your experience within Protestantism must have been a very long time ago or you hang out with some unusually liberal chaps. "Catholic" to the average Protestant means "Roman", well and truly; indeed, more often translated as MLOS* in today's Jensenised Sydney. As for high church Anglicans identifying as Catholics, you need to go to Newcastle or Lismore for that. The bells and smells of Christ Church St.Laurence are just a voice in the wilderness in ultra-evangelical Sydney.

While once upon a time Shore and Kings were nominally Anglican, Scots nominally Presbyterian and Newington nominally Methodist, these days they are all so far down the candlestick it really doesn't matter; from what little I know they all sing from the same Generic Teen Christianity hymn book, which mostly involves Hillsong-style "Jesus-is-my-boyfriend" material. Meanwhile the brand of religion dished up at the two Catholic GPS schools are specifically, deliberately as different as chalk and cheese.

I know, I know, that's not for here. Pardon me while I set up the GPS 2015 Religion Forum.

*Monstrous Lies Of Satan

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
All could be bar High and Grammar given within Protestantism the word "catholic" is generally taken in the sense of "universal" and in this sense many leading Protestant denominations identify themselves as part of the catholic church. The Anglican high church likes to think of itself as Anglo-Catholicism but I know that Shore is definitely low church - not sure about Kings.

You're a marvel: I was only thinking TKS could be high anglican when this debate started. I was up there on the weekend - didn't see any suspicious behaviour.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Developing into the most interesting rowing forum in years. Thanks everyone and hopefully the energy continues through to the end of the season (whatever calendar year that may be)!

L

LBA

The two sets of rules will be highlighted this weekend - the crews travelling will have to realise that coxes do not have to weigh in and they have to leave a deposit for bow numbers - BUT on Sunday when Rowing NSW runs the Regatta cox's need to weigh in and no deposit taken.

Joeys has 3rd VIII as well and they were all very happy on the podium last weekend - the way those boys interacted with one another was priceless. What a fine example of teamwork!

L

LBA

Someone needs to go and make Boo Radley come out.

Boo Radley come out - yes indeed. He can explain why he wants to isolate GPS Rowing. I firmly believe that the God of rowing would prefer one bible and one hymn book to be place on all the pews in the Chapels of Rowing.

L

LBA

LBA, a deposit for bow numbers happens at every regatta, the coxes and coaches know this already, they get the money back when they return the bow number

When you assume you normally make an "ass" out of yourself.

There was no information about the specific requirements at the bottom of the draw last week and non again this week.

Other Regatta draws have had requirements at the bottom.

I was doing some shopping and I ran into a hoodie with coach on the back and crossed oars - so I struck up a conversation - and no before you say anything "little pig" I was not stalking or on the hunt.

He knew absolutely nothing - he thought it was weird the boys came back asking for money. He did not know the weight requirement of cox's - he did not know you cannot do racing starts in the transit lane. And I thought to myself some more parent has him instructing their rower.

And with all the changes in all the boat sheds - everybody should be referring to their bibles.

Status
Not open for further replies.