• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Bar
I have suggested last week that it would be good to have a few scull races at the GPS regattas or even HOR. The fact that there were trials last Friday and no one can easily access the results is part of the point that I was trying to make - it needs to be better advertised or given a bit more prestige. Racing a scull is hard work, and the boys deserve some recognition. You only get to know the results at this stage if you are one of the coaches.
Barry, have you recently competed your Level 1 coaching cert?? Many have suggested things waaaaay before your self. I was looking for info and not an opinion. Keep it short.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Shore generally let their eights and fours do the talking around HOTR time.
Any GPS rower would value the Major Rennie/LC Robson et al and a HOTR GPS winner's patch any day.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I agree with most of this. The ability to police such a measure would have been the problem in the past. However, perhaps the use of new technology could be an option, such as the mandatory installation of a GPS tracking device on each 1st VIII boat and a stat dec signed by each 1st VIII coach and director of rowing that they will not tamper with the device. The days on which the crews train could be monitored, and number of km's rowed etc. It is a bit Big Brother, but it is just one way that it could be enforced. It would be easy to create on water limits, but impossible to track the number of hours in the gym, running etc. And what is to say that some of the rowers will go to the local gym or rowing club and do their own training.
How about we give them all ankle tracking devices and chart how much time they spend in the gym, doing core on the footy field and sitting in the library?

L

LBA

Why bother with the AAGPS sculling at all? No results they do not go on to scull race at any Regatta what the??

Word on the street or at the boat shed is that St Joseph's College boys took out the top places on Friday. Yes I agree the stroke of Newington is a big boy but sometimes it is not the beef cakes - that win. I could be very wrong but that is what I heard.

Did the pathway selectors attend the sculling races on Friday? And what is with the bloody rolling start - seriously if you race - you race 2km with a held start. If you want to play like the big boys race like them as well. In a race there is a start and a middle and an end train like it and race like it.

And before anybody has a go at me - yes there are time trials on the Nepean River but my understanding is that is to sort everybody out. Cull from a pack so to speak.

L

LBA

It is all about the core the core and of course technique. I think there is a lot more cross training incorporated in any rowing program than in previous years. As mentioned before not all the rowers play Rugby some do Cross Country.

But really a good training schedule, rest and recovery and nutrition is critical for any athlete. With all the coaches and the parents who think they are coaches surely GPS Rowers in fact all rowers would be aware of this. We are not talking about young teenagers - we are talking about young men and woman who are slapping on the "L" in the car park driving themselves back to school.

Not to rave on - fpiglet has mentioned length - but what is the age cut off to compete in the AAGPS HOR. Some of the boys would have turn 18 this year? Do the same age rules apply as for Rowing NSW Regatta's??

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Not to rave on - fpiglet has mentioned length - but what is the age cut off to compete in the AAGPS HOR. Some of the boys would have turn 18 this year? Do the same age rules apply as for Rowing NSW Regatta's??

I think AAGPS rules prohibit boys turning 19 during the calendar year. RowingNSW seems to differentiate between U19 and Schoolboy events at its championships (obviously the crew could not compete in an U19 event).

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
dunno - it was concept's response to the row perfect I think.
I presently have a concept but I did have a row perfect and it is much more similar to rowing than the concept is
I've been using the Concept with the sliders.... I like it... transports me back to the days when the boat sat up and wasn't always down on strokeside. Bit of music and away you go...

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Why bother with the AAGPS sculling at all? No results they do not go on to scull race at any Regatta what the??

Word on the street or at the boat shed is that St Joseph's College boys took out the top places on Friday. Yes I agree the stroke of Newington is a big boy but sometimes it is not the beef cakes - that win. I could be very wrong but that is what I heard.

Did the pathway selectors attend the sculling races on Friday? And what is with the bloody rolling start - seriously if you race - you race 2km with a held start. If you want to play like the big boys race like them as well. In a race there is a start and a middle and an end train like it and race like it.

And before anybody has a go at me - yes there are time trials on the Nepean River but my understanding is that is to sort everybody out. Cull from a pack so to speak.

1) the sculling trials are used as a selection technique to select an honorary GPS VIII. From the first time trials they grade them, race them and select the top 12. They then should seat race the top 12 and select an VIII. That's why they do it.

2) The stroke of the Newington VIII isn't as big as the Joeys stroke. I just know he finished in the top 6 at the Nationals and/or Junior Nationals sculling and trained during winter. Beyond pushing school bias (I'm not a Newington parent etc.) he's just a pretty good rower.

3) Will someone tell me who these mythical pathways selectors are!!!??? Do we really think there is an organised selection committee examining results, measuring biometics and taking individuals/crews aside for psychological testing???

4) The rolling start is a quick way to grade scullers into A, B, C etc races. They then will do held starts after they're graded and as you put it... "play like the big boys."

5) The time trials on the Nepean are run by NSWIS and open to anybody except you won't see GPS rowers there because their dance cards are already full. It is used to get intel on who's who coming in to the various squads that will happen in 2015, i.e. Youth 8, Under 21 etc.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
What is meant by HSC Pathways? From Board of Studues website,Usually HSC pathways students combine this study option with their sport of choice over a couple years, I think to stay in a sport for pathways, you may have to compete at National and or International level. not 100% sure of this
The Pathways program can give you more flexibility in your study arrangements. Under Pathways, you can:
  • take extra time to complete your HSC (up to five years)
  • repeat one or more HSC courses
  • accelerate, taking less time to complete your HSC
  • gain recognition of prior learning, where you may be granted credit transfer towards your HSC, or advanced standing in a course
  • combine HSC study with a part-time traineeship (could add to this or sport)
I like your great sense of irony.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I know I am stating the obvious again, but if Shore missed the trials this year, then they are not really picking the top eight this year in the GPS, just the top eight out of those who turned up. It sort of takes the gloss off the achievement. If you are the 7th or 8th person selected this year, you would wonder whether they would had made it if all schools attended.
Yes, Barry... you are probably right. Obviously. But it happens. It's not the first time, won't be the last and you've got to be in it to win it. Rather than beat oneself up over not having a proper shot at the title and have it considered as 9 carat, those in it can just go for it and do the best they can with the cards they're dealt. Good on them if they do.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
As you your self have mentioned, you don't get the best rowers in the U19/Juniors squad. That's just the way it is at many levels of sport.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
It is all about the core the core and of course technique. I think there is a lot more cross training incorporated in any rowing program than in previous years. As mentioned before not all the rowers play Rugby some do Cross Country.

But really a good training schedule, rest and recovery and nutrition is critical for any athlete. With all the coaches and the parents who think they are coaches surely GPS Rowers in fact all rowers would be aware of this. We are not talking about young teenagers - we are talking about young men and woman who are slapping on the "L" in the car park driving themselves back to school.

If you turn 19 in the calendar year you are ineligible for the U19 events held that year. Geez, I'm also hoping those 'L' platers aren't just slapping on those 'L' plates and driving themselves back to school without Mum or Dad there....particularly that lone female 'L' plater.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
so that while they are out doing all this rowing training, non rowing students are getting a head start on them elsewhere in life.
Sydney University will promote their ATAR by up to 5 percentage points if the school provides a letter (helped my guy get in).

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
PS Girls schools are less likely to provide such letter as I discovered with my daughter (luckily she didn't need it). :p
Though if she wants to go to Uni in the US and she rowed there's heaps of opportunity. But hey, girls just don't need it. Far more diligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.