• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Homophobic remark in Tahs Brumbies game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Without getting into the pros and cons of how this matter was brought to attention, it seems that the ARU's handling was swift and appropriate without the need for some kind of Board of Inquiry. Perhaps the agreement with RUPA on disciplinary matters has been overturned and if so, probably for the better of the game.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Funny enough that some are also complaining that they 'probably can't even say (man up/you blouse/another insult based on the presumption that femininity equals weakness and inferiority). I'd be totally ok with people not using my gender to insult another person, especially when I'm standing right there - it's not a nice feeling to be a literal symbol of inadequacy. BUT I know which battles to pick and I can't see it changing at any stage in my lifetime. Using gender-based insults to highlight how this is simply political correctness gone mad has a certain irony.

Homophobia is akin to racism. It's inexcusable and it must be called out. It's not nothing.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Right so this went fucking balls out since I checked earlier today.

Apology issued, judgement delivered, case closed.

Time to move on eh what?

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Now I'm in the kitchen ...WTF happened ? ... At least now I've got Shute Shield on 7 while I'm ironing ...and while I'm at it the pollies have muddied the water recently with "Economic Girly Man" , I wonder what the fine is for that gem .... Note to Pulver ....don't appoint Fred Nile to the ARU board under any circumstances . And well done to both the Brumbies for calling it out and the heartfelt response from Pots - A line has been well and truly drawn in the sand for all teams .

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Which bit of my post are you disagreeing with? I can't see anything you've said which contradicts anything that I said in the post you quoted.:confused:

I guess, the part where you think he shouldn't have spoken to the media. I may have quoted the wrong post. But in general, I believe Poey had every right to raise it with the umpire, and also to answer the questions he did to the media. This isn't a behind closed doors case. I actually think everyone involved has handled it perfectly. To Poey, the ref and Moore on the field. The coaches at the presses, and Poey to the media, to today JacPot coming out and saying sorry.

If the Beale saga was handle this way Ewen might still have a job..

EDIT: And I may have quoted the wrong person .. sorry champ :)

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Homophobia is akin to racism. It's inexcusable and it must be called out. It's not nothing.

The irony of using gender based insults to denigrate homosexuals is not lost nor should it be tolerated. Neither the conflation of sexuality and racism. Two vastly different issues. But equally inexcusable.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm not interested in any sportsmen's views about anything other than the sport that they play. Why some people that that because someone is good at throwing a ball around or hitting it long distances they have greater moral authority than anyone else is a mystery. The same goes for celebrities.

Dead right. I can't like this enough. People in the public eye are of course welcome to express their opinions, it's a (mostly) free country after all. Doesn't mean I have to pay any attention to what their saying on anything outside their area of expertise. The difference is that they get plenty of free air time to espouse these views that 99% of the other punters in Australia don't. There are a great many public figures whose moral and ethical foundations I greatly admire, but I'm also of the view that if they want to beat us over the head with their "save the world" ideas that they consider running for parliament.

None of this means that I disagree with Pocock raising the issue, however. As the acting captain it was entirely appropriate.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Dead right. I can't like this enough. People in the public eye are of course welcome to express their opinions, it's a (mostly) free country after all. Doesn't mean I have to pay any attention to what their saying on anything outside their area of expertise. The difference is that they get plenty of free air time to espouse these views that 99% of the other punters in Australia doesn't.
But neither does it mean their views aren't correct or important.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
But neither does it mean their views aren't correct or important.

I put an addendum on the end of my post, but in response to the above I don't believe their views are any more important than yours or mine. They're free to have them but just because they're famous doesn't mean I give them any more credence than if you and I were discussing it over a beer.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
its worrying that there's almost as many people on this thread criticising pocock as there is criticising pots.

This issue wouldn't have got the attention it deserves if pocock had have made a complaint behind closed doors.

Exactly my point, if I have problems with an employee my first option is never to bring up the issue in front of the whole staff at a meeting in the first instance, it is to have a quiet word and hope to improve behaviour without creating a scene.

? If we really want to stamp this crap out of our game, then this is the best way to do it.

A ritual flogging does get attention, but it isn't the best way to manage adults

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Thank you for unlocking, my flippant post without wanting to offend anyone did;
Bit of a concern, we now cant say;
man up.
you blouse.
who wears the pants.
have to stick with "harden up", so nobody has hurt feelings, well i hope no tear is shed.

No I don't agree with racism, sexism, etc - what next the TH, will get upset because the hooker is cuddling the LH as well.

Sort it out, deal with it appropriately, move on - it was a great game of rugby.

My post wasn't meant to cause some of the commentary it has;
I've said, and have also heard allot of others say phrases such as
- Man up,
- You blouse,
- etc.
because nobody has addressed it, when i use it, it is in no way suppose to offend - a point I didnt do to well at making.

The point that should have been made is bullying is not on, whether it relate to race, sex, or anything else;
I don't intentionally ever belittle or bully anyone because of their choice what ever choice that maybe, in fact I admire people who are honest and open.

But if nobody raises concern nobody knows - out of respect I'm not going to use those phases that have in some instances become part of our every day jargon.

It just goes to show, things can be said without malice, or intent, but can offend.

Something learnt - thank you.
Cheers

On a positive note, last 2 indiscretions were dealt with promptly, and cleanly
Carmichael Hunt.
Jackpot.
and we can move on

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Poey did the right thing. And its not like he walked off field in protest. He put the problem forward, then continued to play rugby. Well done.

Potgeiter clearly in the wrong. But let's assume it's more ignorance rather than malice. Lesson learned.

Time to move on.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Poey did the right thing. And its not like he walked off field in protest. He put the problem forward, then continued to play rugby. Well done.

Potgeiter clearly in the wrong. But let's assume it's more ignorance rather than malice. Lesson learned.

Time to move on.

This is where we disagree, I would have preferred Pocock to catch up to him after the game, sit down over a beer and explain how what was said not acceptable

D

daz

This is where we disagree, I would have preferred Pocock to catch up to him after the game, sit down over a beer and explain how what was said not acceptable

Honest question, fp; what if Pots had bitten or gouged a player? Would a catchup over beers after the game be acceptable?

Or would we expect it to be flagged on the spot?

If it is unacceptable behaviour, don't we call it as we see it? And if not, who judges what is called on the spot and what is post-game friendly advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.