• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies, round 6, Sunday 22 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
But he is a tradesman, not an artisan at 10, he will never do the dominant tackles of To'omua or do the miracle balls of Cooper

I think this sums it up perfectly. And I guess this is why I give Foley so much criticism. I prefer an artisan at 10.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
What exactly makes Matt To'omua an artisan?

Does he bake expensive bread in his spare time?
he has artisan hair
34a41f551c0fb407f3e03f600035c961.jpg

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
What exactly makes Matt To'omua an artisan?

Does he bake expensive bread in his spare time?

Never said he was. I prefer Cooper over the both of them. but I'd prefer To'omua over Foley because he's a beast on defence. Both have similar attacks IMO, and If your going to sacrifice your attack by choosing a tradesman then at least pick one who can smash players on their ass.

Although given the fact To'omua will most likely play 12, 10 will be Cooper or Foley. I'd prefer Cooper 9 times out of 10.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
When Foley played fullback for the Waratahs back jn 2012 he was one of leading line breakers for the comp even though he missed 5-6 games and Waratahs were very bad. In 2013 as fly half he was up near the top with line breaks, line break assists and try assist and the Waratahs came what 11th or something. Calling him a tradesman when every coach he's had seems to rave about him is a little harsh. He's very hard to tackle, made obvious to me by his linebreak stats. That's why he's so effective at straightening the attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
When Foley played fullback for the Waratahs back jn 2012 he was one of leading line breakers for the comp even though he missed 5-6 games and Waratahs were very bad. In 2013 as fly half he was up near the top with line breaks, line break assists and try assist and the Waratahs came what 11th or something. Calling him a tradesman when every coach he's had seems to rave about him is a little harsh. He's very hard to tackle, made obvious to me by his linebreak stats. That's why he's so effective at straightening the attack.

Yep, I think some have a different understand of what I meant by a "tradesman", maybe I should have used extremely effective team man

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I like Foley, I really rate him as a player, but I think To'omua is our best 12, and I think Cooper is our best 10.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Yep, I think some have a different understand of what I meant by a "tradesman", maybe I should have used extremely effective team man
I took it to mean he's not exceptional at anything. Jack of all trades master of none.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Never said he was. I prefer Cooper over the both of them. but I'd prefer To'omua over Foley because he's a beast on defence. Both have similar attacks IMO, and If your going to sacrifice your attack by choosing a tradesman then at least pick one who can smash players on their ass.

Although given the fact To'omua will most likely play 12, 10 will be Cooper or Foley. I'd prefer Cooper 9 times out of 10.
you'd be one a very few who rate To'omua's attack as an individual and in organising and assisting the team attack as better than Foley. And the fact is over the last two seasons the statistics wouldn't support that view either.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
you'd be one a very few who rate To'omua's attack as an individual and in organising and assisting the team attack as better than Foley. And the fact is over the last two seasons the statistics wouldn't support that view either.

I never said better, I said just as good. He's not far behind Foley on attack and I predict if he was at the Tahs in a similar set-up for the last 2 years he might be just as successful.

You forget the last 3-4 years the Brumbies were directed to play a territory game most of the time. Larkham is only now implementing a more attacking mentality but the fundamental strategy at the Brumbies remains the same.

But To'omua has shown he can also break the line and straighten the attack - which are Foley's greatest assets. I think strategy is a big reason we see Foley do it more. However Foley's support play is outstanding and To'omua probably can't match him at that, same with goalkicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.