• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes Vs. Waratahs @ Wellington Round 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Just like last year's away win against the Chiefs instilled belief in the Tahs' & lifted their inconsistent funk, today's win could be a similar portent.

It's easy to say now but the Canes are probably a good match up for the Tahs. In saying that like many others I was pessimistic about the Tahs' chances (especially after last week's lacklustre effort), & not overlooking that if Ardie Savea found the turf early rather than his boot the Canes could've won by 15+.

These higher octane matches where broken play & counter attack are on display by both teams seem to be more to the Tahs' liking. To give their title defence a serious shake they'll have to overcome the arm wrestling & bustling defence match ups & no more under-estimating opponents like the Force & Stormers. There has been a desperate & more accurate edge to their 2 best wins of the season against the Brumbies & Canes.

Palu & Skelton were immense & Hooper, ever busy, made some telling clean outs.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
To be fair, TJP was killing it until Cliffy knee'd his face off his head.

Despite him playing on, that would knock the wind out of anyone's sails. And he had to play on, the guy who replaced him for 10 minutes was out of his depth.

Nah - I don't agree. His passing game was atrocious right from the get go.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep, I hear what you saying Cyclo and Sully, but I have never watched a game where I have seen a ref catch everything. I do feel that he got let down a bit by his ARs policing the Tahs on the offside line too, but generally I didn't think he was too bad ( mind you could just be I don't like ref bashing). Anyway I suppose it gives us something to chat about.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
It was the canes at the breakdown that they let go. Being out of the game when you're on the ground/wrong side seemed to vanish. Tahs did well to keep quickish ball but it still disrupted some scoring opportunities.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
He's a bit inconsistent and ad hoc. Missed the Canes LHP standing up twice, then penalised it. Just an example, I'm sure there were things he missed the other way too. Fast and loose games get by with him. But it doesn't mean he's accurate.

Could well come unstuck with tighter RWC matches

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Like the draw and pass in the 20th minute where he put C Smith away for his try?

Just one example of him doing what he's supposed to do. There were many instances where his passing was very, very ordinary. Usually plays at a much higher level and is justifiably rated next best to Smith as No 9 in NZ.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Good win that one by the Tahs. Best I have seen Palu play in a while. He was outstanding for mine.
I get so frustrated with him. Every so often he plays like the best 8 in the world and then goes off the boil (when not injured)

Be nice to see it a little more often.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yep, I hear what you saying Cyclo and Sully, but I have never watched a game where I have seen a ref catch everything. I do feel that he got let down a bit by his ARs policing the Tahs on the offside line too, but generally I didn't think he was too bad ( mind you could just be I don't like ref bashing). Anyway I suppose it gives us something to chat about.
His ARs were mute, or appeared to be. Jackson doesn't really bother me that much, but he is inconsistent. As are many. I'm not trying to "ref-bash" him by any means.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Cyclo, I wasn't really meaning you and Sully were ref bashing as in case of many times I have seen here or other rugby or any sports forums. I do think we (myself included) tend to see refs as inconsistent when we see them dealing with teams we interested in, and don't really look at position of bodies/players in relation to refs when they do or do not make decisions. And as for what goes on in scrums, no one will convince me we see better or more than ref when he does or does not make decisions. It great for us on tv to watch at blown up and slowed down replays to see how wrong the ref is, but anyway I realised I setting myself up as a ref defender, and not what I really trying to do. Would also add as I had said in another post, was interested to hear a couple of refs (Jackson and Pollock) actually explaining why they do make some of the decisions that they do on NZ tv programme. More or less said if you want us to blow up everything in a game, you won't watch much rugby!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
A week after they led me to despair I have my hope renewed. They played very well indeed. An d apart from a few bad reads defended extremely well and aggressively. Considering that it is a testament to the discipline the low number of penalties they gave away and the accuracy of the tackling. The one strange note for me was Horne missing so many at 12. IIRC he missed 3 clean. Very unusual for him.

Skelton detractors surely have to be eating some pie after his clear progression this year. He is winning lineouts, as many said he could if used properly, and when he is given ball he can make the metres, so long as he isn't being set up with hospital balls to receive three defenders when getting the ball.

Palu has now strung together three great games. He is without a doubt the best 8 in the country. Nobody else comes close IMO.

A great game of Rugby with two positive teams. Enjoyed it immensely. Thanks boys.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
For a moment late in the second half the tahs started executing shitty kicks down field and I thought what the hell are they doing?

Did I not say that you must not kuck it to their beck three?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Watched the replay tonight. What a cracking game that was, the best of the season so far. Isn't it great to watch the Tahs when they have those big ball runners hit the line at pace with the ball out in front of them. I saw some great counter rucking too. It's fantastic to see the progression in big Will this year. He's stepped up and owned that jersey and will be a weapon for the Wallabies at the rate he's improving.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Great game to watch, but gee, it was farkin loose. It will be interesting to see if the Tahs can impose that level of mayhem on sides less invested in returning serve

If I was coaching against them it would be the most stop/start, slow, abrasive match possible

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've watched about 30 minutes of the Stormers game, and none of this one.

There is something that both shits me, and gives me hope, for this Waratahs team: the inconsistency.

The absolute fucking bashing we handed out against the Ponies seemed to be completely absent against the Stormers, while all reports indicate we found it again on the weekend.

So what the fuck?

Hopefully we can keep it going from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.