• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick_

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would see him taking a 32nd man as a winger at least to the USA for the eventuality of Horne not being fit in time. Are there rules about having a bigger training squad at a RWC?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'd wager one of Tomane or Speight will make the list. Tomane's shown the better recent form but Speight's got superior defence and more upside. We mustn't underestimate the roles kicking and defence will play in a knockout competition on heavy NH grounds. On the defence matter Horne's a monte.

In all this discussion over the selection or not of White, Leali'ifano, Speight and Tomane no mention's been made of Larkham's input. He is, after all, both the Brumbies coach and a Wallabies selector. Any thoughts here from Brumbies' supporters?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Horne was the best Aus winger in Super Rugby this year. He has played tests and Super Rugby in both centre positions making him more versatile. And Chieka might just want to keep the Horne/Beale 11/12 combo up his sleeve. I'd say he's going.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Think White and Honey Badger will travel to the USA and probably be in the 23 as they've been doing all the promotional work over there for the game.

Cheika definitely said Genia and Horne are back to fitness this week in the post-match interview or airport doorstop on the way home.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But did Horne cement his spot with his first start? I'd say Tomane was the better performer - but he is also the most limited player. Speight and Horne are much better defenders.

It's another tricky one in my opinion. Horne could cover 12,13,14 from the bench which might get him the nod - plus his super xv form he was clearly the favourite. But then I doubt he has the pace to score the try Tomane scored.

Speight is by far the most rounded, just as good defender as Horne (if not better) and a better attacker - but also the poorest performer out of the 3 at Test level.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Cheika only took one, since Mitchells kicking ability would probably make him first choice anyway.

Horne, like Mitchell has the ability to play multiple positions, in that smaller RWC squad, outside the starters, flexibility will be key.

We get those calculations if someone important goes down early, are they sent home or rested, having those squad options is a necessity especially with Foley, Cooper & Beale likely to be thereabouts, a winger who can and does defend at 12 hard while still knowing how to finish off a try will be in the squad

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would see him taking a 32nd man as a winger at least to the USA for the eventuality of Horne not being fit in time. Are there rules about having a bigger training squad at a RWC?

Previous reports suggested we're taking 40 players to Chicago.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I would like to see:

Kane Douglas
Scott Fardy
James Hanson
Greg Holmes
Michael Hooper
James Horwill
Sekope Kepu
Ben McCalman
Sean McMahon
Stephen Moore (c)
Dean Mumm
David Pocock
Tatafu Polota-Nau
Rob Simmons
Scott Sio
Will Skelton
James Slipper
Toby Smith

Adam Ashley-Cooper
Kurtley Beale
Quade Cooper
Israel Folau
Bernard Foley
Will Genia
Matt Giteau
Rob Horne
Tevita Kuridrani
Nick Phipps
Henry Speight
Joe Tomane

Matt To'omua

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
There would be no logic in taking 40 players to Chicago.
Why have 9 players who can't go on to the RWC, even for training.

Maybe he still wants to test a few players before finalising.

Is he allowed to change the squad again after USA? Or is today the official deadline?

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Higgers won't be going. He did nothing last night in the NPC. Gill on the other hand was great. Alas, he won't be going to the RWC till 2019.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe he still wants to test a few players before finalising.

Is he allowed to change the squad again after USA? Or is today the official deadline?

Official deadline is August 31 I think and you can only change for injuries. So no, the USA game isn't to have a look at players for the squad but taking 40 is important so key players don't have to play in that one.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
McMahon, Palu, Genia, Giteau and Smith are in.

No Nic White. Looks like Gits is backup to Genia and Phipps. Horwill dropped, O'Connor (unsurprisingly) not included.

T

Tip

What does Douglas/Skelton offer that Horwill doesn't?

Were his 3 RC games worse than Skeltons?

Status
Not open for further replies.