• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: SCO v RSA (St James Park): POOL B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
The first one where Bismarck had three gos before Jannie and Schalk helped him get the ball down with two more gos. Really surprised it was awarded.

What? It was over the line, there was no double movement, it was all one process of placing the ball with Scots lying under it on the ground and playing it on the ground as well. And shows you how well you were watching - it was initially Burger, with Bismarck giving a helping hand later.

Would have been a travesty if it wasn't awarded.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
What? It was over the line, there was no double movement, it was all one process of placing the ball with Scots lying under it on the ground and playing it on the ground as well. And shows you how well you were watching - it was initially Burger, with Bismarck giving a helping hand later.

Would have been a travesty if it wasn't awarded.
Well whatever you say mate, but the law is that you can immediately place the ball into any direction and if that doesn't find grass the second go is not releasing and in-goal should be held up.

No need to have a go at me for forgetting who had the ball initially as it was not the subject of the debate.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Regardless of the letter of the law, 9 time out of ten the TMO would not give that a try.

For what reason? There is no defined time limit for a ball being held up, so that's held up being ruled out. Unless Owens actually blew the whistle before that, which he didn't.

Still don't see why it would have been ruled out by anyone except Bryce Lawrence.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Forget about the try and score, Bokke totally dominate the skirt wearers and should have put 40 past them. By far not the perfect product but the way we improve game by game since the Japan loss is very encouraging. I expect improvement the further we go in the tournament as the old agers get match sharp and the youngsters like Pollard, Ellende, Kriel, Lood, Etsebeth & Serfontein gain confidense. One game at a time tho and USA wont be easy.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
For what reason? There is no defined time limit for a ball being held up, so that's held up being ruled out. Unless Owens actually blew the whistle before that, which he didn't.

Still don't see why it would have been ruled out by anyone except Bryce Lawrence.
I am with you Boet, the ball was over the line and they just press it to the ground. That Denton laaitie sure dunno how to play rugby against the Bokke. When he got the ball, the Bokke lined him up to tackle him moer toe.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Good to finally see some positive comments from some Bok fans! I agree, we certainly weren't perfect but I feel like we are making improvements each week and heading in the right direction. I can't think of a team in the WC that's played fantastic rugby, consistently up to now. All of the 'big' teams have been sloppy at times - very difficult to play great rugby for 7 weeks in a row! I think we are looking ok if we keep making slight improvements each week (Fourie du Preez staying fit is absolutely key though! Without him, we're in trouble)

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Good to finally see some positive comments from some Bok fans! I agree, we certainly weren't perfect but I feel like we are making improvements each week and heading in the right direction. I can't think of a team in the WC that's played fantastic rugby, consistently up to now. All of the 'big' teams have been sloppy at times - very difficult to play great rugby for 7 weeks in a row! I think we are looking ok if we keep making slight improvements each week (Fourie du Preez staying fit is absolutely key though! Without him, we're in trouble)

Agreed. If going on average performance per game over all the games played per team, you'd have to say Australia, New Zealand, Argentina and Wales have to be the frontrunners.

If Fourie du Preez gets injured, we're fucked, simple as. He is a level or 2 above any other scrumhalf in that squad. His speed of service and passing accuracy makes the team look different, like we're on the front foot all the time.

If we keep focusing on each game at a time, we have a chance. If we start getting ahead of ourselves - well, the Japan match showed what will happen in that case.

Luckily it seems that the better the opposition we face, the better we play. And Pollard has surprised me too in the last 2 matches. When the world cup started, I think all of us agreed that Lambie was the first choice, but in the last 2 games Pollard has shown what he can do. Him attacking the line creates uncertainty in defence and chances for others outside - and even inside. Lambie is a great second choice to have, though.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Exactly that.

It is left open to interpretation and TMO's are generally on the cautious side.

I'm not arguing the rule. I am pointing to the interpretation.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Exactly that.

It is left open to interpretation and TMO's are generally on the cautious side.

I'm not arguing the rule. I am pointing to the interpretation.

Fair enough. And most refs would have blown a lot earlier, for no logical reason but they do. That's why I like Owens, he does things differently - with and without the whistle.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
USA team against the Springboks(mod can move if needed, couldn't find RSA-USA thread):

1 Oli Kilifi
2 Phil Thiel
3 Chris Baumann
4 Louis Stanfill
5 Matthew Trouville
6 Danny Barrett
7 John Quill
8 Samu Manoa
9 Niku Kruger
10 Shalom Suniula
11 Zach Test
12 Andrew Suniula
13 Folau Niua
14 Brett Thompson
15 Blaine Scully

Replacements
16 Joe Taufetee
17 Zach Fenoglio
18 Mate Moeakiola
19 Titi Lamositele
20 Cam Dolan
21 Al McFarland
22 Mike Petri

23 Chris Wyles

Looks pretty much like a B team, and understandably so - they've got smaller fish to fry later on.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ Be careful with assumptions about a blokes name @Blue.

The NZ Schoolboys that recently played the Australian and Samoan Schoolboys in Brisbane had a flyhalf called Wiseguy Faiane.

We'll probably hear a bit more about this bugger in years to come because he executed a very clever gameplan with such accuracy that the young Men in Gold were shut out of the game from the get go.

Watch this space for yet another Wiseguy from NZ.
http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/sport/285950/nz-schools-dominate-australia

eight_col_Wiseguy_Faiane_16x10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.