• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Fallout from RWC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agreed. don't underestimate what the Olympics will do for rugby (yes its 7's) in places like Russia and USA in terms of awareness and attracting athletes.

All those places needs is money (which they have) directed at the potential athletes (Which they have more than anyone). Coaching and publicity is what is needed ...oh and regular competitive matches...

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Excuse my ignorance if this was already dealt with, but what extra funds do the ARU receive depending on whether we are eliminated in the QF, SF or the Final, or actually win the thing?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Excuse my ignorance if this was already dealt with, but what extra funds do the ARU receive depending on whether we are eliminated in the QF, SF or the Final, or actually win the thing?
Don't think the ARU get anything extra, unless they have separate deals with sponsors. There's no prize money

The players only get a bonus if they bring home the cup, $100k for each squad member iirc.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I think there is a £150'000 bonus for the RWC winner or there abouts, it's not a massive figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
I think there is a £150'000 bonus for the RWC winner or there abouts, it's not a massive figure.

That's crazy.

I just checked - all teams got a $1.5 million participation bonus at the 2014 soccer world cup. Runners-up got $25 million and the winners got $35 million.

Total prize money was $576 million.

EDIT: And the teams eliminated from the group stages got $8 million. So basically just for turning up, they get $9.5 million.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeh seems like the IRB are screwing the teams a bit. If your team goes all the way to the finals, you should get a portion of the profits.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The tier 1 teams get £8.5m each just for showing up to the RWC.

In addition to that every team gets a participation fee of £150,000, and a further £75,000 if they reach the quarter-finals and then a further £100,000 if they reach the semis.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Yeh seems like the IRB are screwing the teams a bit. If your team goes all the way to the finals, you should get a portion of the profits.

Every team gets a portion of the profits. World Rugby takes a management fee, the home nation gets the gate receipts, and the rest is distrubuted amongst the participating nations.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)

In addition to that every team gets a participation fee of £150,000, and a further £75,000 if they reach the quarter-finals and then a further £100,000 if they reach the semis.

That's better. What do the tier 2/3 nations get?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Sure. Still I would have thought those that go further in the tournament should get a larger share of the profits. After all they are all contributing more to the tournament, and thus more responsible for the profits made

T

TOCC

Sure. Still I would have thought those that go further in the tournament should get a larger share of the profits. After all they are all contributing more to the tournament, and thus more responsible for the profits made

I prefer the set fee for all participating nations, with tier 1 nations receiving proportionately more due to loss in earnings.

In terms of going further in the tournament, I don't think it should be about the money.. Teams will benefit financially regardless due to boosts in sponsorships and marketability. If you give more money to the winning team then that money has to come from somewhere, and that will be from the other teams.. World Rugby risks creating a perpetual cycle if they were to give the winner proportionately more and the losers less.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
You can't compare the profits of the Football (soccer) World Cup to Rugby. Your comparing the most popular sport in the world, played by billions of people compared to Rugby which is played by millions.

The Football World Cup is the biggest event in the world, bigger then the Olympics.

Rugby is doing very well considering the participation levels are vastly lower.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/WorldCup/Brighton-Did-Heyneke-nearly-go-20151008

London – The World Cup-opening events against Japan in Brighton seem light years away now for safely-installed quarterfinalists South Africa.
In fact, the shock 34-32 defeat has only sat in the annals of rugby history for some 19 days.
Yet in the period since then, the Springbok bounce-back over the course of three consecutive wins has accumulated impressive statistical force, whatever you may wish to say about the calibre of their opponents in the pool phase.

In storming to the top of the group (a situation that cannot alter now), the Boks, post-Brighton, have compiled 19 tries with only one “against” – a long-range Scottish intercept event, to Tommy Seymour – and scored 144 points whilst leaking only 22.

Little wonder, then, that coach Heyneke Meyer cut a bullish and happy figure at the press conference following Wednesday’s 64-0 disposal of the United States at the Olympic Stadium here.

But he also dropped some revealing hints, it might be argued, about the extent of the turmoil that seemingly engulfed the Bok camp after their seismic shock on England’s south coast at the outset of RWC; remember that it followed a very poor lead-up to the tournament by the Boks as well.
When reasonably asked by a South African scribe on Wednesday night whether he had a preference of opponents for the quarter-final – it will be one of Wales or Australia – he said that would be “negative thinking”.

But he then added, to guffaws from many of the journalists present: “The only team I wouldn’t like to play is Japan.”
What followed, though, seemed full of delicious intrigue, even as he spoke with a broad grin and gave a knowing look to his captain alongside him, Fourie du Preez: “That almost cost me my ... er, well, we won’t go into that.”

It did seem to suggest that being a fly on the wall of the Bok camp after that Brighton embarrassment would have been a tantalising place, especially when you consider his pained suggestion after that match that some senior players didn’t stick fully to the intended template that day.

Did Meyer offer to quit? Did he threaten to do so? Were there even moves from above to instantly review his status?

All that we know at present is that the Bok camp seems an infinitely more harmonious -- not to mention freshly ambitious – place as the knockout “mountain” awaits.
It is a situation probably only aided by the popular arrival back in the set-up in an advisory and moral-support capacity of intended RWC captain Jean de Villiers.

Further up the line, a book is fair bet as likeliest source of in-depth information on what happened behind closed doors after the Japan loss ...

I'm still under the impression that only a world cup win will be able to give him a shot at 4 more years after that Japan game. Before that, a semi-final would probably have been enough, but after losing to Argentina and Japan in 1 year probably means he's got to prove he can do miracles now.

I feel sorry for him, because it's crazy pressure that he's under and he's been doing his best - camps during Super Rugby, going overseas to find out how different sports teams do things to apply some of it himself, spending months in England before the world cup to leave no stone unturned.

Obviously he's made many mistakes, but it won't be for a lack of trying.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
You can't compare the profits of the Football (soccer) World Cup to Rugby. Your comparing the most popular sport in the world, played by billions of people compared to Rugby which is played by millions.

The Football World Cup is the biggest event in the world, bigger then the Olympics.

Rugby is doing very well considering the participation levels are vastly lower.

Nobody said it should be the same, but it seemed like the winner got only 150 000 GBP, compared to $45 million for the soccer equivalent.

Through some research and info from others, this was quickly proved false.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Should have made the participation fee less and the prize pool larger, at least for the Teir 1 nations.

T

TOCC

Should have made the participation fee less and the prize pool larger, at least for the Teir 1 nations.

The participation fees are to compensate for lost revenue over the period, only one team will win the RWC which means all the remaining unions will be out of pocket $millions. Even then the participation fees don't fully compensate for all of the lost revenue.

Australia hasn't won since 1999, if the participation fees had been even lower then the ARU would be bankrupt by now.

The winning team will receive a financial boost through increased sponsorships, marketability and endorsements.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Pretty good article on a possible citing bias against tier 2 teams during the tournament:

http://rugbywrapup.com/2015/10/rugby-world-cup-is-there-a-citing-bias-against-rwc-minnows
That was interesting.

Especially the Jonny May part, I have seen him do that on other occasions too, regardless that it is legal to jump for the try line, he is doing it from five out when there are still defenders on the way which surely makes it very hard to tackle him within the laws of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.