• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Hunt 16B's

Who is playing who this weekend/predictions

TSS vs BBC = Could be interesting because of TSS tight games and BBC momentum from BGS game. I think TSS will get over because of Home advantage and they work better as a team.
State high vs TGS - Toowoomba win due to anger from the recent losses
ACGS lose to grammar - Have to give grammar the victory with churchie form looking poor, i reckon BGS will win in the forwards at least.
GT def. IGS - i think the TSS game was more TSS's fault. GT looked strong against churchie.

I

Ippy 15As

TSS vs BBC = Could be interesting because of TSS tight games and BBC momentum from BGS game. I think TSS will get over because of Home advantage and they work better as a team.
State high vs TGS - Toowoomba win due to anger from the recent losses
ACGS lose to grammar - Have to give grammar the victory with churchie form looking poor, i reckon BGS will win in the forwards at least.
GT def. IGS - i think the TSS game was more TSS's fault. GT looked strong against churchie.
After a two hour drive, I think the boys from the bush won't have enough anger left to beat a very strong BSHS side

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
TSS vs BBC = Could be int

I have to agree -take 2 & 5 out of the BBC forward pack & BGS pack had the better of them. Loose trio of BCc did not have much impact. I think 2 scored two tries & 5 made numerous big runs.
BGS captain at 8 was brilliant.As for the backs -that is a different story.

Danny Jnr

Bob McCowan (2)
This weekend predictions:
TGS def BSHS(Its their time to finally have a win. The fire in the belly will be to strong)
TSS def BBC(TSS will hit their straps however they could still win at 60%)
IGS def GT(GT won't get as much ball as Churchie gave them)
Churchie def BGS (Churchie have too good a coach to let last week happen again. The score not a true indictor of the game last week)

Darvo

Peter Burge (5)
A round of possibilities

BGS def ACGS - ACGS looked dreadful against GT and BGS did not look too bad against BBC

TSS def BBC - TSS (from the stream online) haven't looked great but from what i saw on the weekend at northgate, seem the better team (could go either way depending on who shows up)

TGS def BSHS - TGS will be hungry for a win and definitely have the fire power to do so.

GT vs IGS - Flip of a coin, both sides have what it takes to win and whoever turns up with the right mentality will do so.

bahog

Bob McCowan (2)
Churchie to win over BGS but not by much

BBC to win over TSS. TSS have had two lucky wins so far.

TGS to win over BSHS. TGS unlucky last two starts.

Ippy to win over Terrace. Both teams have won one lost one. Important game for both teams and the hardest to pick IMO.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
We've finally got all four matches reviewed from the weekend. Thank god for DoubleTake Live, hey!

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/qld-gps-r2-home-teams-fall/

Oh my god there are some really, really interesting games this week. Every team that is playing is evenly matched.

This might be the closest round of First XV Rugby ever!

BBC v TSS is a fascinating game of the round. Can we really see TSS play badly again? I reckon they'll have woken up. I hope BBC win, but I'll back TSS at home.

BSHS v TGS is another cracker - is there a better winless team than TGS? This should be very interesting because I'm not sure how the flatcaps will travel. Both big packs, no major injuries besides TGS #8. Oh boy :)

IGS v GT is another cracker - GT are channeling the Chiefs in the way they attack, IGS defended like demons. I like GT, just. Should be another thrilling game.

ACGS v BGS might be the only game either school win this year. I can't really split them, so I'll take BGS because of McReight, while Sharp is injured. Stanghorn hasn't seemed to have troubled many with his attack in the first two weeks, so a QLD State of Origin second rower should be able to handle him well enough.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
Are you delusional. Tell me one parent in any age group who doesn't turn up every week not knowing exactly where their team is on the ladder. Otherwise what the hell are the kids playing for. BSHS versus GT under 14A's last round last year. Every kid and every parent at the ground new exactly what was at stake in that game. And the game was played hard and intense because GT knew if they won the game they won the competition. And I think from memory BSHS may have had a chance of winning the competition aswell. To say otherwise is simply delusional.

This is the problem with kids rugby, perhaps kids sport in general. What the hell are the kids playing for? For enjoyment, to learn about teamwork and leadership, to gain life long skills and friendships, to stay fit and attain good habits for the future, and for some to go on a rugby development pathway. They're not playing for a premiership, and as soon as they leave school no one will ever talk or even care about where they finished in grade 9. If parents are bragging or talking about premierships outside of a cursory acknowledgement then in my opinion they have a problem.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
We've finally got all four matches reviewed from the weekend. Thank god for DoubleTake Live, hey!

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/qld-gps-r2-home-teams-fall/

ACGS v BGS might be the only game either school win this year. I can't really split them, so I'll take BGS because of McReight, while Sharp is injured. Stanghorn hasn't seemed to have troubled many with his attack in the first two weeks, so a QLD State of Origin second rower should be able to handle him well enough.

I think Stanghorn was injured playing Ippy and did not play last weekend.

F

from the side

Every team from the 13F's to the 1st XV is well aware of where they are situated on the ladder and which team are the big dogs and which team are the easy beats, and so they should because rugby union is a competition and all of the life skills that you have detailed from enjoyment through to mateship etc. are all forged in the fires of winning and losing. How schoolboy players handle the full time whistle and the subsequent self and team evaluations dependant on the result after the game is all part of developing life skills, without the elation of winning or the pain of loss, those life lessons are weakened.
I read somewhere, “winning isn’t everything but wanting to is”, and to say that the First XV games at each school are the only ones that are used to measure the rugby performance of the school each year is nonsensical. That the First XV are the only ones that can play for a premiership is absurd, I am quite sure that the 13 F’s think that their game is important. GPS Rowing and Cross Country events throughout the Queensland GPS school system account for and reward the lower years and grades and the schools performance overall is determined by their effort. GPS Rugby should be the same, we should be allowing those lower and younger teams to account for the days performance every Saturday and an overall school premiership at the end of the year decided on those results. Measure only the teams that can be matched by each school. We might finally then establish who is the best rugby school, who has the best coaches, the greatest depth, rather than who managed to secure the best imports that year.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)

I read somewhere, “winning isn’t everything but wanting to is”, and to say that the First XV games at each school are the only ones that are used to measure the rugby performance of the school each year is nonsensical. That the First XV are the only ones that can play for a premiership is absurd, I am quite sure that the 13 F’s think that their game is important. GPS Rowing and Cross Country events throughout the Queensland GPS school system account for and reward the lower years and grades and the schools performance overall is determined by their effort. GPS Rugby should be the same, we should be allowing those lower and younger teams to account for the days performance every Saturday and an overall school premiership at the end of the year decided on those results. Measure only the teams that can be matched by each school. We might finally then establish who is the best rugby school, who has the best coaches, the greatest depth, rather than who managed to secure the best imports that year.

I agree with your sentiment, however Rugby, particularly with all schools participating in the sport, is a much older sport than Cross Country or Rowing. The first XV will always be the most important as a measure of Rugby greatness in Qld GPS. I know the 13f's is important particularly for them. A lot of people say "don't worry it's only a sport", but to the kids themselves they are playing for cattle stations.

If GPS does decide to have a "hole of sport" trophy, then how do you measure it? To the f's or white team? If that's the case Then you better be prepared for NC or Terrace or Churchie to regularly win it (I'd put my money on NC) because they have the greatest participation. Very boring comp for the rest. And then watch you all whinge that it's a conspiracy.

Gotta be careful of what you wish for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.