• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

T

TOCC

For me the standard of rugby on display in 2016 is at the level we had hoped to see in 2014, it's taken a few years but the quality of rugby is beginning to get quite impressive.. coaches and selectors surely must be starting to pay attention to performances both good and bad in the NRC

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
EVERY junior club in an NRC's catchment area should have free entry for players wearing their club jumper/gear + $5/10 entry for accompanying adults. Field sprints for juniors at half-time, or some other appropriate activity. All it'd take is a coupla emails to the relevant junior club secretaries.

Lindommer's invoice winging its way to NRC HQ. ;)

I'd go one further an contact every subbies club in each catchment and offer them some sort of deal as well. Organise with those clubs to mobilise as many members as possible. Would be good if you could organise something to do with drinks but I suspect the grounds won't like that idea.

After match socials perhaps. So,ething that for $10 they get entry some great footy and again ideally some fairly generously priced drinks.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Possibly not. It's just a deal that sells the rights to show the games, thereby helping to fund the comp.

I don't think cutting the teams from 9 to 8 reset anything much, deal-wise. Going back to 9 might not either.

Presumably WR (World Rugby) are going to bring the readies to cover the Fiji team and additional logistics (travel and whatnot).

From what I understand, yes, any Fijian involvement will be funded by WR (World Rugby). That includes inbound trips and accommodations for visting teams.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Reckon we need a Carnival of rugby Weekend in Sydney.

3 Games in a row in the same venue, with 7s games between matches.

Have the Queensland Derby on the Friday night, or Sunday Afternoon.

I really like the 'Carnival of Rugby' idea. In my mind it would revolve around some sort of juniors structure. I don't know how this would be received but I think it would be good to see the general structure of the JGC (being teams represent regions) used to form the rep season. Run it during the NRC window and run game days around NRC games. Say U12s to 18s. All state based. No interstate travel. Or something of the like.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Rays V Rising final methinks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure tbh.

At the moment, I'd suggest the winnders from the 6 remaining games will be the Rising& Spirit in this round, then the Eagles, Rays, Spirit and City, which would result in:

Eagles v Rising & Rays v Spirit

And then the 1st final would probably be decided by who gets more players back from injury, resting and Wallabies, and with no foreknowledge, I'd think the Eagles would have it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Table is currently:

1 Eagles 24 (play Rams next week)
2 Rays 23 (Rising)
3 Rising 15 (Rams tomorrow, Rays next week)
4 Vikings 14 (Spirit)
5 Spirit 13 (Brisbane tomorrow, Vikings next week)

So I reckon Eagles will win their last and remain on top.

Rays SHOULD win in a close one to Rising and stay 2nd.

Rising will get up tomorrow, and lose to Rays and stay 3rd.

Vikings v Spirit in the last round will be close (Spirit have the travel to contend with) but Spirit should beat Brisbane tomorrow so will be sitting in 4th at the time.

Finals will be:

Eagles v Spirit/Vikings
Rays v Rising

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not sure tbh.

At the moment, I'd suggest the winnders from the 6 remaining games will be the Rising& Spirit in this round, then the Eagles, Rays, Spirit and City, which would result in:

Eagles v Rising & Rays v Spirit

And then the 1st final would probably be decided by who gets more players back from injury, resting and Wallabies, and with no foreknowledge, I'd think the Eagles would have it.

A full strength Eagles would be very hard to stop. The key will be getting their best on the park.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
An interesting snippet from the game today regarding a talk Sean Maloney had with Rays coach Simon Cron re:distance covered in the NRC compared to that of Super Rugby. Evidently each player will cover on average 1.2km more distance in the NRC than in Super Rugby.
Here is a novel idea reflecting today on in other threads...how about super rugby coaches attending nrc games and being interviewed to promote the nrc as pathway for super rugby.

As some have been visible some have not - and the latter is not acceptable (larkham with wallaby commitments excepted) as they should be promoting rugby in each state and development parthways.

Thinking about this - this has been pretty shit - and lack of visibility of Super Rugby coaches like Gibson for tahs not acceptable so step up next season or just piss off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Rams beat Eagles, Rays beat Rising and Spirit beat Vikings?

Rays v Rams & Eagles v Spirit finals.

Would suck for Melbourne and Vikings, but how good would it be for the NRC in NSW?

Is it correct that the 2 top teams earn home finals?
Should the Eagles lose next weekend, can they drop lower than second?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Is it correct that the 2 top teams earn home finals?
Should the Eagles lose next weekend, can they drop lower than second?
Eagles are 6 points ahead of the Spirit in 3rd.

Rays are 5 competition points ahead of the Spirit and a +34PD.

For the two finals not to be held in NSW, the Spirit need to win with a bonus point on Saturday, preferably by more than 26. Then hope the Rays lose and miss out on bonus points against the Rising on Sunday.

Would love to see both semi finals held consecutively at the "home" ground of whomever plays the Rams or tops the ladder.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)

For the two finals not to be held in NSW, the Spirit need to win with a bonus point on Saturday, preferably by more than 26. Then hope the Rays lose and miss out on bonus points against the Rising on Sunday.

Would love to see both semi finals held consecutively at the "home" ground of whomever plays the Rams or tops the ladder.

Thanks H. So the Rays could finish third, Spirit 2nd & Eagles first under the scenario you described?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Thanks H. So the Rays could finish third, Spirit 2nd & Eagles first under the scenario you described?
Got it in one.

Can't see it happening though. Spirit should win to secure themselves a final spot, and in hopes of a home final, and the Rams will probably fall short.

But then 99% sure the Rays will either win or pick up a bonus point against us, and one of us and the Vikings will scrape home in 4th.

Which will give us; Eagles v Rising/Vikings and Rays v Spirit which I'd love to see as a double header, particularly given it's the only Rugby on the weekend, and it could be heavily promoted by all bodies, Clubs, Super Sides, the ARU.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
EVERY junior club in an NRC's catchment area should have free entry for players wearing their club jumper/gear + $5/10 entry for accompanying adults. Field sprints for juniors at half-time, or some other appropriate activity. All it'd take is a coupla emails to the relevant junior club secretaries.

Lindommer's invoice winging its way to NRC HQ. ;)

Rays have done some of this already. :)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What stands out is that the NRC should be the vehicle for junior player development. Not rep teams but development - they are two very different things.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)

Surely head to head (Rays) is worth more than PD?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH - genuine question, how is the NRC used for junior player development?

You do what other sports do. You invite junior players - all junior players, not just the ones in rep teams to skills based academy sessions. Everyone gets the opportunity to have some sort of advanced skill development delivered by someone other than a dad doing his best. Because it's not a rep team environment and there's no pressure to win and no shennanigans re selections, the sessions are skills based and not based on winning games. Identified talent can be invited to additional sessions if neededafter the whole thing has finished.

It's the sort of thing the Swans do, hockey does, water polo does and a range of other sports do as well.

Why the NRC - because it's largely free of the parochialism of the clubs, but it's close enough to the grass roots to still be local. It also gives these NRC clubs a stake in developing a region and gives the kids a real experience of their NRC club.

From my observations of my own kids playing different sports and also talking to other parents, rugby has more levels of junior rep stuff than just about any sport going around. In Sydney for example (with a declining junior base I might add), we have district rep teams from 10s to 17s, zone reps from 14-17s, Sydney reps and then a NSW team. These kids also play junior village competitions at the same time. So they get a village club coach for the season (sometimes a dad doing his best) and the better ones get various rep coaches for sometimes 2 or 3 weeks - all concurrenlty. (I'd put a broom through the lot of this stuff and have the kids playing village rugby uninterupted all season and play one level of rep stuff after the finals)

The vast majority of kids get nothing - many just give it away as they get pigeon-holed at 10 or 11 as not being up to it and never really looked at again, the ones who stay on aren't really developed as well as they might. And we all know that many kids are late bloomers - the naturally gifted 10 or 11 year old who wins the school swimming and athletics carnivals and is the best at every sport he/she tries aren't always the best at 18.