• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think one problem is that there's just too many brands. At least in the states where there's 1 NRC team and 1 Super Rugby team I think it'd make more sense to just use the same name. Even in QLD and NSW, where you need to have new team names, it'd be more of a drawcard for say the Sydney Rays or Brisbane City to be playing the Brumbies or Rebels than the Vikings or Rising.

T

TOCC

Yes, but you then offset brand familiarly gains for the teams names with confusion over which competition they are playing in, their is also the risk of devaluing the Super Rugby teams worth by having it play on a weaker comp with a lesser roster.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes, but you then offset brand familiarly gains for the teams names with confusion over which competition they are playing in, their is also the risk of devaluing the Super Rugby teams worth by having it play on a weaker comp with a lesser roster.

Happens all over the world in different sports though. In rugby you have the Anglo-Welsh Cup for example. The English and Welsh teams play in this competition under the same names they play in the Premiership and Pro12. Doesn't seem to harm or devalue their brands. Same with NBA teams and the Summer League, or English Premier League teams and the Carling Cup etc.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
M
For the NRC to be successful in the longer term, one of the best things to happen would be to have a grand final between 2 NSW teams..

Not so sure that alone would help if GF only watched by handful of people. And there lies the problem.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I was previously on board with this and agreed with that view.

But I'm coming round to see Omar's position. Would be an advantage, particularly for Perth and Melbourne, and there are signs of it moving that way in Melbourne.

Having one consolidated brand makes sense; it happens everywhere. Devaluing? No. They're underexposed anyway, and Super Rugby - such as it is - is struggling.

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
The attitude of 'it's not how I think it should be so I'm going to bash it at every turn' is quite frankly petty and pathetic. I seriously question how much of a Rugby fan someone who actively participates in this behaviour truly is. Take what you will from my comment.
You do realise that the Beetota Advocate takes the piss?
My personal opinion is this Comp in its current state will never capture the attention of the wider rugby community! I went to the Vikings v Eagles game a couple of weeks ago, before it was a curtain raiser being the under 18 grand final. Half the ground emptied after the curtain raiser, when less people want to watch the main event some would have to question what is wrong with the product!

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just to make it clear, I really want this comp to work, our game needs all the success it can get at the moment. It just worries me that we are putting more and more resources we can't afford towards it and it will just fold given that fans aren't buying into it!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
You do realise that the Beetota Advocate takes the piss?
My personal opinion is this Comp in its current state will never capture the attention of the wider rugby community! I went to the Vikings v Eagles game a couple of weeks ago, before it was a curtain raiser being the under 18 grand final. Half the ground emptied after the curtain raiser, when less people want to watch the main event some would have to question what is wrong with the product!

I do. But that doesn't mean it isn't necessarily representative of how those critical of the competition think. And that's a problem. In terms of capturing the woder community's interest this has a greater chance than using existing club structures.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Exciting finish coming up to the season IMO.

Vikings v Rising and Eagles v Spirit next week, Rays v Vikings the week after and both Vikings v Spirit and Rising v Rays in the final round.

Will be the making of the Vikings, tough for the Rising, Rays and Spirit, but it does show just how good the Eagles have been this season, played all but one member of the top 5 so far.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Exciting finish coming up to the season IMO.

Vikings v Rising and Eagles v Spirit next week, Rays v Vikings the week after and both Vikings v Spirit and Rising v Rays in the final round.

Will be the making of the Vikings, tough for the Rising, Rays and Spirit, but it does show just how good the Eagles have been this season, played all but one member of the top 5 so far.

Observing lots of NRC in recent days, cant help but think the teams that use a lot of non Super Rugby or Shute Shield players dont have the depth.
Guess thats why the NRC exists, ie to bring the overall standard up.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Observing lots of NRC in recent days, cant help but think the teams that use a lot of non Super Rugby or Shute Shield players dont have the depth.
Guess thats why the NRC exists, ie to bring the overall standard up.

Depth is an issue but the exposure the NRC provides will help that. Even then apart from Qld Country who are more inconsistent than outgunned the Rams who only have couple of Super Rugby contracted players are very competitive.

Monty

Frank Nicholson (4)
Can I just say I've been thoroughly enjoying the NRC this year. I've just recently gotten back from a few years living overseas so can't comment if the games have improved on previous seasons, but they are at a pretty high standard for mine.

Now all we need to do is to get more people to go and watch it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Can I just say I've been thoroughly enjoying the NRC this year. I've just recently gotten back from a few years living overseas so can't comment if the games have improved on previous seasons, but they are at a pretty high standard for mine.

Now all we need to do is to get more people to go and watch it.

Watch both in person and on TV. I actually think although still small in general crowds are up this season with the exception of the Queensland teams who have been somewhat lacklustre in general this season when it comes to crowds.

The competition needs more promotion in general but it has to manage it on limited funds. I actually think a good way of doing this would be to set up a fan video competition to create an ad. There was one featuring Brisbane City after the first season that was quite good,

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I agree standard much better in terms of games - couple of things contributing to this, which is:
1. Removal of stars and limiting to 3 NSW teams
2. More consistent selection of players for teams to get more consistency (and indeed better for fans to be able to follow a team)

Also much better now Foxsports televises 2 games a week as I just can't be arsed sorting out my foxsports on demand login's and 2 games a week probably enough (without getting myself into trouble with the family watching too much rugby).

Gone to 1 Rams game at concord and will be heading out probably this weekend to see Rams play again at concord. Hopefully crowd about the same which as last time which is about 1,000 as just helps for better atmosphere with at least 1,000+