• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
I have heard similar things at shaw road. Apparently money is being spent that is not necessarily there, a lot of promises to players of money. This could be detrimental to the culture of the club. Apparently the st pats and Padua boys have boycotted the colts program for next year due to negative press regarding coaching. massive recruitment blow given those schools dominated AIC competition this year. Maybe the money should be spent on the coaching set up?

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
i believe norths are the only club now without a full time rugby manager/director of rugby. You can see the positive impact these positions have had.
University - cam chater rugby manager
Sunnybank - Gavin head rugby manager
Easts - pat Richards director of rugby
Souths - Nicole Lauder rugby manager
Bond - dale salmon rugby manager, Sean hedger coaching director
GPS - dan nether director of rugby
Brothers - Ben McCormack director of rugby, Matt Kaye rugby manager
Wests - Michael broad director of coaching
It shows how investing in your off field set up can help a club move forward, maybe the norths committee could really turn the place around by following suit

Steve Doublesteve

Peter Burge (5)
what exactly does a rugby manager do? I could be wrong but half of the teams you listed havent won a premiership in the last 5 years (Bond GPS Wests Sunnybank - I could be wrong with that one). its a bit steep to pur Broad in there too, hasnt he only been around for a couple of weeks?
Regarding AIC schools and clubs - havent Norths have been linked with St Pats and in particular Padua for a while now, what kind of results of progress has been made with that link? Nothing. Norths need to do themselves a favour and try and look Nudgee?

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
what exactly does a rugby manager do? I could be wrong but half of the teams you listed havent won a premiership in the last 5 years (Bond GPS Wests Sunnybank - I could be wrong with that one). its a bit steep to pur Broad in there too, hasnt he only been around for a couple of weeks?
Regarding AIC schools and clubs - havent Norths have been linked with St Pats and in particular Padua for a while now, what kind of results of progress has been made with that link? Nothing. Norths need to do themselves a favour and try and look Nudgee?

Full list of Wests 2017 Premier coaching staff:
Premier Head Coach: Pat Byron
Assistant Premier Coach – Forwards: Evan Willis
Assistant Premier Coach – Backs: Tony Cross
Director of Rugby: Tim Geary
Skill Acquisition and Development Coach: Michael Broad
Premier Squad Scrum Coach: Fletcher Dyson
Skills Coach: Brenden Jones
Premier Squad Strength & Conditioning: Dan Ryan
Premier Squad Strength & Conditioning: Owen Flynn
Premier Grade Manager: Clark Montague
I cut and pasted this from the Reds website and it shows Tim Geary as the Director of Rugby, not Michael Broad. I agree with your comments on the merits of a club having a Director of Rugby.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just looking a the Bulldogs coaching staff again for 2017. Poor old Pat Byron has gone from a famine to a feast ! Where were these guys last year when Pat covered all of those positions? I guess the new kennel is already starting to entice people down.... Hopefully it will have the same effect on players.

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)

There's never been an official link with those schools and the club, it's only been for old boys of both schools who have done the recruiting that has brought players down there. there has not been much of an effort to actively pursue mass numbers from these schools as they are seen as beneath boys from GPS schools - massive mistake there; that would be why there's been no real success from this. I know for a fact GPS and brothers are very interested in firmly establishing links with these schools, something they have been working at the last few years.

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm told Broad is also the director of coaching; a separate role to a DOR (Geary). One of his main focuses will be organising the link between juniors and seniors as well as working with various coaches in different capacities. At club level developing quality coaches for volunteer roles can be challenging, for a lower grade or colts coach to be mentored by a guy of Broads calibre would be invaluable and can only enhance the coaching, a much better long term investment than match fees. I'm sure the reggies coaches at bond who won a premiership last year benefitted from hedgers mentoring

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm told Broad is also the director of coaching; a separate role to a DOR (Geary). One of his main focuses will be organising the link between juniors and seniors as well as working with various coaches in different capacities. At club level developing quality coaches for volunteer roles can be challenging, for a lower grade or colts coach to be mentored by a guy of Broads calibre would be invaluable and can only enhance the coaching, a much better long term investment than match fees. I'm sure the reggies coaches at bond who won a premiership last year benefitted from hedgers mentoring

More positive news from the Kennel and whoever was involved in the article from Wests should have made sure Michael Broads title was correct and then elaborate on his role. This can only help to attract new players as well as help retain current players

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
I do hope that the new coaching team have committed to defined days and times. In the past guys in these types of roles have turned up sporadically and have accepted the roles on a "I'll do my best to get down" basis. I get the feeling this is not the case this year.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
i believe norths are the only club now without a full time rugby manager/director of rugby. You can see the positive impact these positions have had.
University - cam chater rugby manager
Sunnybank - Gavin head rugby manager
Easts - pat Richards director of rugby
Souths - Nicole Lauder rugby manager
Bond - dale salmon rugby manager, Sean hedger coaching director
GPS - dan nether director of rugby
Brothers - Ben McCormack director of rugby, Matt Kaye rugby manager
Wests - Michael broad director of coaching
It shows how investing in your off field set up can help a club move forward, maybe the norths committee could really turn the place around by following suit

UQ have a full time DOR as well as the general manager Cam Chater

I hear Souths have a new head coach next year with Tuqiri stepping up from assistant.

From all reports the boys love him at the nest so it should be a smooth transition.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Gareth Ryan from Norths to Brothers. Maafu leaving Uni to head to Norths probably explains why. I think Ryan played juniors at Brothers, so that may be another reason. A good pick up for the Brethren.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Gareth Ryan from Norths to Brothers. Maafu leaving Uni to head to Norths probably explains why. I think Ryan played juniors at Brothers, so that may be another reason. A good pick up for the Brethren.

Has Tim Smith turned up now that he is injury free?

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)

Kieran Fitzgibbon (norths tighthead) to West Harbour in Syd as well

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well that will make for an interesting tussle between Tim Smith and Liam Dillon for the 9 spot. My money will be on Liam.

Is Liam Dillon Wests' Premier Colts halfback? The 9 for Wests in PC this year was probably their best player along with the hooker. Big year for the Dogs colts in 2017. I can see them making the 4.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is Liam Dillon Wests' Premier Colts halfback? The 9 for Wests in PC this year was probably their best player along with the hooker. Big year for the Dogs colts in 2017. I can see them making the 4.

Liam Dillon took over from Tim Smith when he was injured early in the season, really grew into the position and finished the season strongly. The Colts 9 is Jacob Van Eeden who came on off the bench a number of times for the Premiers and played well so he will also be pushing for the spot and rightly so.

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
Gareth Ryan from Norths to Brothers. Maafu leaving Uni to head to Norths probably explains why. I think Ryan played juniors at Brothers, so that may be another reason. A good pick up for the Brethren.​

Both massive losses for the club - I believe there's three others from this years pack going as well - hopefully the pockets are deep enough to find some replacements.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Gareth Ryan from Norths to Brothers. Maafu leaving Uni to head to Norths probably explains why. I think Ryan played juniors at Brothers, so that may be another reason. A good pick up for the Brethren.​

Both massive losses for the club - I believe there's three others from this years pack going as well - hopefully the pockets are deep enough to find some replacements.

With most Premier players having to pay playing fees of over $400 plus travelling costs etc, I would suggest that waiving playing fees and a petrol card, Norths would not have to dig too deep to attract quality players. Forget about the petrol card and just waiving the players fees would be enough in some cases. Premier grade players are paying around $25 for each game they play assuming they are injury free and play all 17 games......

Shungmao

Stan Wickham (3)
With most Premier players having to pay playing fees of over $400 plus travelling costs etc, I would suggest that waiving playing fees and a petrol card, Norths would not have to dig too deep to attract quality players. Forget about the petrol card and just waiving the players fees would be enough in some cases. Premier grade players are paying around $25 for each game they play assuming they are injury free and play all 17 games..

Nightnday, Your points are valid . I think there is 3 real scenarios at a Prems level . 1. Full paying player ( you will find a lot of Prems players still in this bucket 60% ) 2. Aru componet only ( 20%) 3. Fully funded by the club (20%).

As for you point made on players, Norths will be just fine, plenty of kids wanting to play Prem level to have a crack at NRC and other rep opportunities. So I'm confident you will see movement between clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.