• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Would have been great if all the Aus Super Rugby franchises played them BaaBaas leading into the season.

Definitely. Even if it was with players 16-30, rather than 1-15.

The reality is, many of these players could feasibly find themselves in a Super Rugby team's '2nd XV' pretty shortly.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Definitely. Even if it was with players 16-30, rather than 1-15.

The reality is, many of these players could feasibly find themselves in a Super Rugby team's '2nd XV' pretty shortly.

Sort of my thinking. Would be good for their development. Give them a taste of what is needed to step up and provide us a gauge on our overall depth.

T

TOCC

Hmm i'l be interested to see how it goes, Brumbies have a full pre-season behind them and have their first match in a couple of weeks, the NRC guys are still 2months out from their season kick-off and their club rugby pre-season wouldn't be hitting its stride yet.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It'd be a big ask to put the Baa Baas up against every Super Rugby side in pre-season. Would it mean a series over 5 weeks? Think we'd then run into lots of problems overlapping the SS final and start to the NRC.;)

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
It'd be a big ask to put the Baa Baas up against every Super Rugby side in pre-season. Would it mean a series over 5 weeks? Think we'd then run into lots of problems overlapping the SS final and start to the NRC.;)
Shouldn't be an issue. It is too hot for for club rugby at that time of year apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Most sides play 2-3 trial games. This season the Brisbane 10s is being counted as a trial game because it consumes one of the relevant weekends. Assuming it continues, that will remain the case next year.

Why would all 5 Aussie sides want to try and play a trial against the same side? It doesn't work for scheduling. At best, this Baa Baas side could play two games each preseason. That would seem worthwhile, particularly when some trials in the past have involved club sides etc.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Most sides play 2-3 trial games. This season the Brisbane 10s is being counted as a trial game because it consumes one of the relevant weekends. Assuming it continues, that will remain the case next year.

Why would all 5 Aussie sides want to try and play a trial against the same side? It doesn't work for scheduling. At best, this Baa Baas side could play two games each preseason. That would seem worthwhile, particularly when some trials in the past have involved club sides etc.

Devil's advocate (and yes, I see the issues) but you could squeeze some games into the June tests window.

The Shute Shield is happy to cause clashes, so they'd obviously understand the need of a storied Australian program like the Aus Babas to take precedence. ;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's almost no professional teams looking to squeeze in extra games they don't need to, particularly when there is no financial return on offer.

I think the Rebels played the Highlanders during the June break in 2016 with their fringe sides but that was a pretty unusual situation.

There's certainly merit getting these NRC players who haven't got Super Rugby contracts some extra quality games but I think it will be very limited. I'd guess that the benefit for these players when playing with a cobbled together team with limited preparation time is also likely to be quite limited.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^ I mainly concur in your thoughts BH, but for this year I have an idea that the Brumbies might be looking for a match in China during the June test window. Wouldn't be the worst idea to play the Baa Baas if they do, though I think there was some thought being given to a NH side (Toulon?).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Devil's advocate (and yes, I see the issues) but you could squeeze some games into the June tests window.

The Shute Shield is happy to cause clashes, so they'd obviously understand the need of a storied Australian program like the Aus Babas to take precedence. ;)
Knock yourself out.
Who do you suggest they play?
In the good old days players would be lining up to play visiting International teams, but that's in the past.
They are not going to miss club games to play some nothing game, designed to fuck over over the SS.
Time to move on, the clash of one week is petty, but affects little,in the scheme of things.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Knock yourself out.
Who do you suggest they play?
In the good old days players would be lining up to play visiting International teams, but that's in the past.
They are not going to miss club games to play some nothing game, designed to fuck over over the SS.
Time to move on, the clash of one week is petty, but affects little,in the scheme of things.

Petty, and yet you're the one telling me to knock myself out for an obvious joke.

So keen to label concepts like this as a thing of yesteryear, yet the SS is a focal point worth moving the NRC for.

Consistency and awareness of one's blindspots is pretty key.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I was actually suggesting it was petty for SS clubs to orchestrate the clash,
But again, in your desperation for revenge you can't think of who possible opponents might be. Any suggestions?
I'm not labelling anything as yesteryear,I'm acknowledging that touring Test teams are hit & run missions,unlike tours in the amateur era.
So they are no longer feasible.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was actually suggesting it was petty for SS clubs to orchestrate the clash,
But again, in your desperation for revenge you can't think of who possible opponents might be. Any suggestions?
I'm not labelling anything as yesteryear,I'm acknowledging that touring Test teams are hit & run missions,unlike tours in the amateur era.
So they are no longer feasible.

Rebels ran a match in the June break against the Highlanders for their also-rans.

There's obviously touring test teams, Wales played mid-weekers only last year.

Did I misinterpret "Knock yourself out"?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Rebels ran a match in the June break against the Highlanders for their also-rans.

There's obviously touring test teams, Wales played mid-weekers only last year.

Did I misinterpret "Knock yourself out"?

You think players will miss SS games to play against Super squad fillers in a match designed to give Non match day players a bit of fitness?
Wales played one mid weeker against a Super Team in NZ.
Clearly tour length/squad sizes have reduced in the modern era.
I don't believe there is an appetite for touring teams to add matches against amateurs.

And yeah, you did misinterpret the bit about knocking yourself out.
That's due to my poor multiskilling/editing skills.

i meant to write," knock yourself out thinking of ways to disrupt the SS comp,but it just won't happen"....
My bad on that bit :)

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Soon someone will start banging on because the SS is playing the same weekend of subbies.
For one weekend you can be spoilt for choice you can watch NRC or SS - having a sook want change it.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Soon someone will start banging on because the SS is playing the same weekend of subbies.
For one weekend you can be spoilt for choice you can watch NRC or SS - having a sook want change it.

This thing of "echo chambers" is over done, but honestly. If supporters of SS/SRU do not understand the damage they have done to their reputation outside of NSW premier rugby, I just dont know how to get it across. And you (plural) are determindly not listening. (Fingers in ears going "lalalalala".)

Cettainly WA fans now consider NSW rugby as just the pits. I dont think ACT and Vic are far behind.

And when the SRU talks about the "golden days" where you had a better chance of WB selection in reserve grade at Randwick than Premier rugby in Qld - well you do understand that Qld rugby fans dont look back on those days with warm reminiscence, right? And thats the stuff we are meant to recognise the inherent "greatness" of, well the SRU and its clubs.

Hey, I'm not talking super rugby franchise fans here , I'm talking your compatriots in other states. Club rugby and the grass roots outside of Sydney.

The self trashing of good will by NSW to the broader rugby world is extrordinary. Home goal of epic proportions.

But hell, just put it down to "having a sook". Why not.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hmmmm

Okay wrong word.
There are key board warriors on here that spend more time being critical and complaining than doing things.

In an ideal world we wouldnt have this problem - we do because each comp is wanting to be as healthy and strong as they can.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Hmmmm

Okay wrong word.
There are key board warriors on here that spend more time being critical and complaining than doing things.

In an ideal world we wouldnt have this problem - we do because each comp is wanting to be as healthy and strong as they can.

Last season was that ideal world.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hmmmm

Okay wrong word.

David, if I have it right, your back stop position basically goes, if you're not "doing" anything (i.e. involved in the clubs), then your (my) opinion is tripe.

So No. Doesn't work like that. The funds you are hunting for start in the first instance from the fans. And big time mostly from the fans of the professional game. We are dedicated to this sport, and we are entitled to our opinions. Especially on a site like this. Those of us who subscribe to foxtel for the rugby, who purchase tickets to the game, we fund this sport. If you think we are not entitled to speak then there are some pretty basic issues.

So mate, I am a "key board warrior". I put in my effort where I think it can help the general community. You malign this.

Personally I'd like to think that this does you no good. But what the hell would I know.