• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Guys, I reckon this is spin until someone has the 2 draws to share.

Sit back enjoy Christmas, and lets not alienate something, or some one, because of backbone or sphincter - it maybe a jellyfish and have neither.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
And its not all the clubs' fault - there is a bit of a shitfight for players against the private schools system that needs to be rectified - this comes back to NSWRU getting their shit together on alignment.

Compared to NRL and AFL clubs, we don't have huge money coming in from sources like poker machines. They have taken their big clubs and used the money to prop up their clubs. We need to be smarter.

Yeah but realistically how many kids go to those schools? If you work at growing the base enough you should be able to compensate for those who find their way into that system. I wasn't talking about running one team in each grade, These clubs run multiples and that would be the goal as well. Besides, if done right most of the kids who leave the clubs for school sport should return after they have finished to continue playing.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Guys, I reckon this is spin until someone has the 2 draws to share.

Sit back enjoy Christmas, and lets not alienate something, or some one, because of backbone or sphincter - it maybe a jellyfish and have neither.

It was fairly heavily implied in the Robinson article that the draw would be extended to 22 rounds and that the GF was set to conflict with the opening round of the NRC.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yeah but realistically how many kids go to those schools? If you work at growing the base enough you should be able to compensate for those who find their way into that system. I wasn't talking about running one team in each grade, These clubs run multiples and that would be the goal as well. Besides, if done right most of the kids who leave the clubs for school sport should return after they have finished to continue playing.
65% of kids go to public high school.
What % of Wallabies, Super players are public high school based.

Compare that to league, cricket, afl - what % of their players are drawn from the public high school system

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
65% of kids go to public high school.
What % of Wallabies, Super players are public high school based.

Compare that to league, cricket, afl - what % of their players are drawn from the public high school system

If you spread the net wide enough you should be able to capture a broad spectrum of kids that will allow clubs to cover any gaps.

T

TOCC

Was not implied but clearly stated in article by Robinson.

Stated in the same article where she has interviewed the new SRU president in which he was quoted as saying:
"We don't see the need to play any particularly prominent role with the ARU; they've developed their strategic plan for their game, and that is a plan which focuses almost universally on elite and professional rugby, and that's where the vast majority of the money is going,"

"From our perspective, we see a significant degree of autonomy coming from that and we're going to make the most of that autonomy."

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QLD PRemier Rugby draw released too:

2016 - 1st rnd on 12 March & GF on 7 August
2017 - 1st rnd on 18 March & GF on 20 August

I reckon the NRC will be starting later this year

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Are we having this discussion across three threads?

Don't get me wrong, I'll take the opportunity to give Papworth shit wherever I can, but I'm now confused.

I'm happy to leave the Shute Shield thread alone for the Shute fans. Speaking up there would be a bit like Quade haters in other clubs harassing the Reds thread. Poor manners.

And the ARU declining participation is a subtly different thing too.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I reckon the NRC will be starting later this next year.....

.....and the rounds will take two weeks more after Fiji joins in 2017. That means a finish about the first weekend in November. I reckon that's pushing local rugby back a touch too far.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
...and the rounds will take two weeks more after Fiji joins in 2017. That means a finish about the first weekend in November. I reckon that's pushing local rugby back a touch too far.

I don't know. I'd like to get the players and franchises take on the idea of pushing the NRC back. I actually think it could be a reasonably alternative to the trudgery of pre-season. Players train and develop match fitness earlier etc. It also may help in providing the NRC with a little more air in terms of competition. Kick off right after the NRL/AFL grand finals. I don't know but there are some interesting options.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Hear the Aus Barbarians are playing the brumbies in a trial on January 28. BAa Baas team made up of NRC players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk