• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Sadly enough, the very rich do not do things like that. That's why they are very rich. Although there are a couple of exceptions. Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett for example.

I have known a few rich people. I think it is fair to say that you have to be an unhappy person to want to become rich, because of the sacrifices that are required.

And if by some fluke a normal kind of person becomes rich, they usually become unhappy. They lose friends, if they ever had any, relationships break down, etc etc.

Some others do. David Walsh invested a huge amount of his money into MONA.

There are the various soccer sponsors (although the Russians are possibly doing it to ensure that they are popular and are thus less likely to be able to be sent back to Russia).

A couple of billion and it would definitely solve all our problems ... anyone a closet billionaire?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
David Walsh is a pretty unusual character. MOMA seems to be his plaything. The key thing is that he is in total control of it. All of it.

Nobody can be in total control of a rugby franchise in the fullest sense. World Rugby controls the Laws of the Game. The local unions control the competitions etc. Yes, an owner can appoint the admin and playing staff, but that is about all.

Billionaires usually want total control. That is not an option.

B

BLR

David Walsh is a pretty unusual character. MOMA seems to be his plaything. The key thing is that he is in total control of it. All of it.

Nobody can be in total control of a rugby franchise in the fullest sense. World Rugby controls the Laws of the Game. The local unions control the competitions etc. Yes, an owner can appoint the admin and playing staff, but that is about all.

Billionaires usually want total control. That is not an option.

Seems to work in Football/Soccer all the time....

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Seems to work in Football/Soccer all the time..

I was talking about rugby. I did say "usually".

Soccer/football is a totally different ball of wax, because of the worldwide popularity of the game, transfer fees, and the prestige associated with the ownership of the big name franchises.

Rugby is small beer in comparison. A bit like MOMA, come to think of it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I was talking about rugby. I did say "usually".

Soccer/football is a totally different ball of wax, because of the worldwide popularity of the game, transfer fees, and the prestige associated with the ownership of the big name franchises.

Rugby is small beer in comparison. A bit like MOMA, come to think of it.

and FIFA have issued their ultimatum to the relevant billionaire

half

Alan Cameron (40)
sigh remember it was like this and defence was not as good and sides did not have tackling coaches...

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Looks like the deal to include the Cheetahs and Kings in Pro12 from next season is done and dusted, according to BBC Scotland.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-unio...les_sport&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=wales

Key notes:
  • 6 year deal
  • 6 Mil extra each year in TV revenue, up from 12mil each year in TV revenue
  • Formally ratified next week
  • 2 conferences, 7 teams
  • Home and away Derby, 21 games for each team.
  • Format not totally locked in.

I don't get how they are going to improve the capability of the SA teams on so little extra money. 6 million a year extra is only 3 million per team and it isn't like they draw big crowds. I know it is extra mone at the moment but surely will have a negative impact on super rugby in the next deal.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
You know what Rugby in Australia needs. A big fuckoff draft. Every player contracted to a super team goes in the pot, then we have a live "Hunger Games" style draft night. Maybe we don't make the kids fight, but we at least all sit around drinking beer watching the head coaches make their selections live on TV. They can throw shade on each other and hopefully a few players cry when they realise they've been selected by Daryl.

Ok maybe it's a bad idea, but fuck it would be more fun than the general malaise I feel for Super Rugby at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.