• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We have been around this particular circle a few times. Yes indeed, a domestic competition based around the SS would mean some wins and losses.

The shitstorm that has erupted over the Soup machinations would pale into insignficance in comparison, believe me.

Too many selfish interests and not enough public interest. This is a toxic combination. Unless we can either get the selfishness out, or the public interest up, we are doomed.

Maybe as we breathe our last we will finally decide to make some sacrifices. But, frankly, I doubt it. We are just too farking stupid.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Cheetahs and Kings might start in 2018/19, not the upcoming season.

http://lastwordonrugby.com/2017/07/17/south-african-pro12-entry-may-have-to-be-delayed/

Honestly can't see how this could be sorted out in time with 8 weeks to go before the season starts.

Hmmm. Can't see kings or cheetahs going 12 months with no competition. Perhaps we will see the 18 teams remain.

Except they are out. That's what SARU has officially announced. Can you imagine what it will be like if the Pro12 deal falls through entirely ...

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Pro12 probably wants another 12 months to sort out other stuff.

Includes but is not limited to Italians sorting their shit out, Sharks to make a call on whether they want in or not, and whether or not this rumored Washington based franchise will come to fruition.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Forteacue have been a major sponsor of the Force for the past 4 years
Correct and Jersey sponsor. We need to keep it real twiggy owes rugby nothing and any support he provides gratefully received. And yes hence we need to temper expectations as no one man can solve all of Australian rugby's problems as complex set of problems which will take many to solve.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Correct and Jersey sponsor. We need to keep it real twiggy owes rugby nothing and any support he provides gratefully received. And yes hence we need to temper expectations as no one man can solve all of Australian rugby's problems as complex set of problems which will take many to solve.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Is he a major sponsor or does he just sponsor a couple of jerseys? Fortescue is only on https://www.westernforce.com.au/partners/front-of-jersey-partners not on the major partners list in https://www.westernforce.com.au/partners.

Of course any sponsor is valued and worthwhile but I'm not clear that he has been a big sponsor for the past 4 years and for all of the talk it is clear that nothing has been agreed and there has been no discussions of financial support.

I also disagree. One person could solve all of Australian rugby's problems if they had a spare billion or two ...

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Is he a major sponsor or does he just sponsor a couple of jerseys? Fortescue is only on https://www.westernforce.com.au/partners/front-of-jersey-partners not on the major partners list in https://www.westernforce.com.au/partners.

Of course any sponsor is valued and worthwhile but I'm not clear that he has been a big sponsor for the past 4 years and for all of the talk it is clear that nothing has been agreed and there has been no discussions of financial support.

I also disagree. One person could solve all of Australian rugby's problems if they had a spare billion or two .

Ref Twiggy, he is certainly not going to jump in and "save" rugby, his only direct interest at the moment is The WF. According to that ABC article he goes to every home match.

But how many other rugby interested billionaires do you know that may possibly be approached down the track to help the game. As far as I know he is it, other than maybe Stokes, also over here whom used to play for Nedlands.

From what Half has said Lowy was approached by soccer people and the Govt before he decided to help out, and this enabled him to do it on his terms. None of this may happen but you would be silly not to try to keep him on side.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Lowy was very heavily involved in soccer from a very early stage. Initially with Sydney's Hakoah Club. There is an informative interview with Michael Cockerill, just google, it is easy to find.

On another occasion I read that Lowy, as a post-war immigrant, found an emotional home in soccer. Hakoah of course was the "Jewish" Club, it is easy to understand why people who were fleeing persecution and worse in Europe were looking for places where they felt at home. Soccer of course was very important to most of them. And still is.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Heheh. Bit of a catch-22.

You'd need some brand of insanity to get them chips to play with.

But a different sort of nutter to spend them in that way.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
The major problem is that there'd be no broadcasting revenue associated with this transition which means we'd only be able to pay the players peanuts which means almost every Super rugby player in the country would go off shore.

In 15 years time following that path may represent 10 steps forward from where we are now, but we'd need to take about 20 steps backwards in the short-term to pull it off.

This is the progression I see Australian Rugby heading in. No one is brave enough to make the call (it'd be career suicide) but we'll slowly peter out until the ARU files for bankruptcy in 2021/2022.

There'll then be a total rebuild of the game in which it'll essentially be semi-professional, much like the A-Leagues revitalization, whereby a 15-20 team national competition will emerge from the various club scenes around the country.

The players will be on $20k each per year, but slowly interest in the competition will build (because at the end of the day, no one really cares about the standard of play, its about the product) and Australian Rugby will climb out of its self made ditch.

I wouldn't mind the NSWRU / QRU / SRU etc. going bankrupt in the process because lord knows they're also a cancer on the game.
Re first para, is it not possible that the genius' at the ARU could arrange a domestic broadcasting deal similar to League and AFL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Re first para, is it not possible that the genius' at the ARU could arrange a domestic broadcasting deal similar to League and AFL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No chance.

1. With the current blokes?

2. Kicking off the league is far more analogous to the A-League, such that with 2 or 3 exceptions, teams will have no pre-existing pull beyond small dedicated fanbases.

3. The days of broadcast Television (FTA or pay) deals at previous levels are numbered. Slowly but surely Streaming services, and with them Sports streaming services are growing. I would be surprised if streaming services weren't the number 1 method of sports consumption by 2025, which leaves room for exactly one scrambling Broadcast deal, of which the majority of funds will probably be allocated to your AFL, your NRL, your Champions League, your Big Bash and your International Cricket.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
No chance.

1. With the current blokes?

2. Kicking off the league is far more analogous to the A-League, such that with 2 or 3 exceptions, teams will have no pre-existing pull beyond small dedicated fanbases.

3. The days of broadcast Television (FTA or pay) deals at previous levels are numbered. Slowly but surely Streaming services, and with them Sports streaming services are growing. I would be surprised if streaming services weren't the number 1 method of sports consumption by 2025, which leaves room for exactly one scrambling Broadcast deal, of which the majority of funds will probably be allocated to your AFL, your NRL, your Champions League, your Big Bash and your International Cricket.
Point 3,

Australian internet will need to improve a lot more than just NBN to keep up with that demand. There is no way the country can support this being the main service for watching sport. Its 3rd world connections cant cope.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
From what Half has said Lowy was approached by soccer people and the Govt before he decided to help out, and this enabled him to do it on his terms. .

nay was begged and pleaded with. This allowed him directorial powers. Which his family is struggling to let go of today.

He fired everyone, it was a burnt earth policy.

He even insured the old Soccer Australia was sent bankrupt and his marketing campaign was Old Soccer / New Football.

Status
Not open for further replies.