• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

$1 million Rugby Revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think aiming for a tweaked ARC model, but starting smaller and more concentrated geographically is the way to go.

I would start with 8 teams, divided into 2 confernences. The geographical locations (though not necessarily their names) would be:

North Harbour
South Harbour
Western Sydney
Canberra

Brisbane North
Brisbane South
Gold Coast
Sunshine Coast

The existing clubs in each district/region (or close to it) would align with an ARC team.

A team would play home and away with the other teams in their conference (six games) and the top two from each conference would move thru to cross-over semis and a final (8 weeks total)

Wouldn't mind that format.

T

TOCC

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg

rather then reply with a intellectual and well thought rebuttal debating what i said you post a jpg.... Well done

T

TOCC

Alright and you have taken the view that the ARU obviously did. I just can't help but think that spending some money to get a competition off the ground is the purpose of a rugby union.

Just as an aside, I'll bet you aren't aware of the clause in the NZRU constitution that says that they exist solely for the promotion of the amateur enjoyment of rugby. They may promote professional competitions only as a means to promote the amateur and community side of the game. That's right, according to the NZRU constitution anyway, the only participate in professional rugby to improve the state of amateur rugby. It puts the losing of a million or so on the ITM Cup each year into its proper perspective. They view it as their duty to ensure that there is a viable tournament to promote rugby within the provinces and are prepared to spend some money to do it.

Obviously some concern needs to be had for finances, which is where I think this model has its pluses. A conference in Sydney and a conference in Brisbane will cut down dramatically on the need for travel and all the expenses associated with it (airfares and hotel bills).

I am 100% supportive of a semi-professionally third tier within Australian rugby..

However after witnessing the disconnect between these teams(ARC) which were supposed to represent the 'grassroots' and the actual grassroots clubs(premier rugby and shute shield), I can't help but feel they had chosen the wrong path for promoting grassroots rugby...

ITM Cup has history, pedigree and tradition with strong ties to the local union and clubs... All of which the ARC didn't have..

For cost effectiveness, a third tier should be initiated using existing resources... (ie club rugby)

nomis

Herbert Moran (7)
To be fair, some of the teams worked OK in the old ARC, and some teams needed a tweak. There also needs to be a mechanism for providing greater ownership from the traditional clubs. Greenfield teams can work if the geography allows for tribalism to develop well. But overall, the ARC type model is probably more inclusive and fair than using select traditional clubs. Using only a select few traditional clubs has the potential to exclude most of the grassroots rugby community and get it off to a pretty bad start. The clubs need to stick together on the same level.

Being cost effective is the big hurdle, I agree. But there may be ways around this, if the travel costs could be reduced.

The only other alternative is to use Super academies, but it could potentially be too much of the same.

I don't think anyone knows for sure how Super Rugby is going to end up, but if it is going to remain a similar structure in the near future as is current, then we need to get a finically viable, engaging, third tier up and away ASAP.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The only other alternative is to use Super academies, but it could potentially be too much of the same.
I'm a strong supporter of the Super academies forming the 3rd tier. We're not totally creating new entities. Im not enthralled at the prospect of some premier clubs being promoted and some withering away. In an ideal world I'd like the Tahs to have 3 academy teams (North, South, West) , Reds x2 (North, South), Brumbies, Rebels and Force to have 1 each. If Super rugby closed down we've got an eight team National comp.

Anyway whatever format and structure is chosen, if it improves development I'd support it.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
rather then reply with a intellectual and well thought rebuttal debating what i said you post a jpg.. Well done
Unintelligent nit picking deserves such a reply.

Since you believe you possess powers of extrasensory perception you should of seen it coming. While you are it, tell us who the 22 will be on Saturday night.

T

TOCC

Mate not sure what your problem is with what I initially said and why you had to reply in a patronizing manner...but I'm not going to continue with this, I just think posting jpg's rather then discussing something or expressing a point of view with ones own words is a little bit immature..

Nevawaz

Bob McCowan (2)
Apparently if Balmain can't get Leichhardt Oval they are going to use Drummoyne Oval and might even change their name to do so.

nomis

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm a strong supporter of the Super academies forming the 3rd tier. We're not totally creating new entities. Im not enthralled at the prospect of some premier clubs being promoted and some withering away. In an ideal world I'd like the Tahs to have 3 academy teams (North, South, West) , Reds x2 (North, South), Brumbies, Rebels and Force to have 1 each. If Super rugby closed down we've got an eight team National comp.

Not a bad option p.Tah! There are some advantages of the Super Rugby teams having ownership. And having more than one academy for NSW and Qld put in the right geographical locations helps to make it look different to Super Rugby for the bigger rugby communities in these two locations.

I'm also thinking that option fits well with the future of Super Rugby - whether it folds into a champions league, collapses, or grows.

How closely would you see the academy teams in NSW and Qld being identified with the Tahs and Reds? For instance, would you want them to have their own brand name, or still be called something like 'NSW west academy'?

And not that this question has much relevance at this stage, but just out of curiosity, if Super Rugby did die, would you see one of the academies in NSW and Qld taking ownership of the Tah's and Reds brand names, and the others forming a new identity?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
How closely would you see the academy teams in NSW and Qld being identified with the Tahs and Reds? For instance, would you want them to have their own brand name, or still be called something like 'NSW west academy'?

And not that this question has much relevance at this stage, but just out of curiosity, if Super Rugby did die, would you see one of the academies in NSW
and Qld taking ownership of the Tah's and Reds brand names, and the others forming a new identity?
I'd leave the Waratahs and QLD Reds names for a State rep team if Super Rugby disbanded.
With respect to academy names I'll leave that those more creative than myself, but if I have a go: in NSW North Harbour, South Harbour, Country
NSW.

I've taken this away from the original topic. I'm keen to hear more about Livingston's proposal. Qwerty's link provided some insight. The TV discussions didn't sound very advanced. More of a fact finding mission. 'if we build it, what format/structure would be attractive to you?'

Interesting nevertheless and I hope it or some other proposal brings us the third tier we need.

T

TOCC

Yep, all good ideas getting thrown about, but need to keep the eye on the ball.. which is a $1million pot offered for a Sydney based club rugby competition..

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Does Livingston drive a bright yellow 4WD with an abbreviation of FANATICS on the number plate by any chance? If so it was parked out the front of Tah HQ this morning.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Apparently if Balmain can't get Leichhardt Oval they are going to use Drummoyne Oval and might even change their name to do so.

Drummoyne Oval would be perfect (2 minute walk from my place and a good, if round oval)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Drummoyne Oval would be perfect (2 minute walk from my place and a good, if round oval)
Are they the only requirements Fat? What is the maximum distance from your place that a good ground can be?

Sent using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.