• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

15th team

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mystery surrounds one of the seven ventures which on Wednesday formally lodged their expressions of interest at becoming the 15th Super rugby team in SANZAR's new-look and expanded tournament in 2011. In addition to fielding EOI documents by the 5pm deadline from Western Sydney, NSW Country, three from Victoria and one from the Gold Coast, the Australian Rugby Union said it had also received a surprise lodgement from a second interested party in Queensland. Confidentiality agreements prevented the ARU from announcing the mystery party. The ARU will assess the respective EOIs over the next fortnight before seeking full applications from selected ventures on August 7. The formal bids must be submitted to the ARU by September 18, with SANZAR offering the 15th licence by October 31. Despite the Western Sydney Rams mounting a compelling case for inclusion on Wednesday, it is understood a team from Melbourne remains favoured to get the nod. Exactly which one, though, is the $64 million question. In a rather messy situation, the ARU must consider expressions of interest from the Victorian Rugby Union, a breakaway group of former VRU board members and one from the A League-aligned Melbourne Victory venture. VRU president Gary Gray said having three interested parties from Victoria muddied the waters and hoped just one Melbourne franchise made the next stage of bidding. "We hope this would create clarity about the endorsed bidder from this territory, Victoria," Gray said. "To do these bids properly is an expensive process and it costs a lot of money to people." Gray said having three bidders from Victoria also diluted the strength of each and made it more difficult to attract financial backing. The cost of running a Super rugby franchise is estimated at $5 million a year. "Melbourne has got to have the best opportunity but the government told us a month ago that it won't be helpful unless there's one bid out of Melbourne because it's obviously the best chance if we've got a united Victoria behind the bid," he said. Rugby Gold Coast chief executive Tim Rowlands didn't sound overly confident on Wednesday about making a successful bid. "At the end of the day, I don't know if anyone's got $5 million. We haven't got $5 million at the moment," Rowlands said. "Has anyone got $5 million to invest in a rugby team? Especially in the current financial climate. "The disappointing thing for us is there's absolutely no communication from the ARU as to whether we're in the mix or just in the bidding process. "We're still pursuing the idea of having one here but we obviously want more detail from a financial point of view. "It's all a bit frustrating from our point of view. We just don't know what's going on." Samoa backed down last week on making a stand-alone bid but have been talking to Australasian syndicates. "They're still taking to us and part of that is sponsorship," Rowlands said. "They have a backer in Ireland that we're talking to with Samoa who says that he'll put some money in if there is a Samoan presence in the team. "We have another potential investor in Japan who wants Japanese players involved in Coast team." Western Sydney were also hopeful their large Polynesian population would get behind their bid. Rams steering committee chairman, Wallabies great Brett Papworth, said it was plain common sense for the ARU to want to grow the game in western Sydney, which he described as the "rugby heartland of Australia".

A 2nd from QLD?

3 from Vic?

I like the Rams and NSW Cntry options.

Its Vic all they way though right? Just which one?

C

chriscullen

The secret team is Hawkes Bay from NZ. They want to cut ties with Wellington and go it alone. Obviously it will be a very unlikely option.
The 2008 Hawke's Bay squad provided 11 players to this season's Super 14: Bryn Evans, Zac Guildford, Karl Lowe, Hika Elliot, Arizona Taumalolo, Thomas Waldrom, Matt Berquist, Jason Shoemark, Israel Dagg, George Naoupu and Clint Newland.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
chriscullen said:
The secret team is Hawkes Bay from NZ. They want to cut ties with Wellington and go it alone. Obviously it will be a very unlikely option.
The 2008 Hawke's Bay squad provided 11 players to this season's Super 14: Bryn Evans, Zac Guildford, Karl Lowe, Hika Elliot, Arizona Taumalolo, Thomas Waldrom, Matt Berquist, Jason Shoemark, Israel Dagg, George Naoupu and Clint Newland.

They're not the ''mystery'' bid. Two separate bids from NZ and one expected from Saffaland.

On the West Sydders bid, how can anyone take Papworth serious. Every time I listen to him he just sounds bitter and twisted, like he's getting back at someone. That press conf was poor IMO. Stick to (mediocre) commentary Pap....

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Re: Papworth, Rams, W.Syd.

I totally agree that rugby is neglected in Western Sydney. A ridiculous number of PI boys live there who would know the game of rugby inside out, but get picked up by league. I agree that Australian rugby is stymied by an Eastern Suburbs / North Shore private school mentality.

However, as much as I loved supporting the Rams against the Fleet, I couldn't possibly support anyone against the Waratahs. This would have to be a bid for new supporters who are currently not strongly aligned with the Tahs. It would take a long time to build the "brand".

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Scarfman said:
Re: Papworth, Rams, W.Syd.

I totally agree that rugby is neglected in Western Sydney. A ridiculous number of PI boys live there who would know the game of rugby inside out, but get picked up by league. I agree that Australian rugby is stymied by an Eastern Suburbs / North Shore private school mentality.

However, as much as I loved supporting the Rams against the Fleet, I couldn't possibly support anyone against the Waratahs. This would have to be a bid for new supporters who are currently not strongly aligned with the Tahs. It would take a long time to build the "brand".

Would it really be possible to build a franchise there? Surely most people will continue to support the Tahs?

Seems to me the only real opportunity is a completely new market, ie Melbourne.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Rugby league is now about 50% polynesians and they fill out plenty of teams and stadia. If the ARU / NSWRU were serious about Western Sydney I'm sure a new team could be supported - mostly from new fans. But it would take time and effort and the financial world does not encourage such a venture right now.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Scarfman said:
However, as much as I loved supporting the Rams against the Fleet, I couldn't possibly support anyone against the Waratahs.

Fuck that - sign me up for the Rams. I'm sick of the political bullshit hamstringing the Tahs every time they get somewhere that looks promising. And the current coaching staff have less ideas than the turd I laid this afternoon.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Cockatoos have withdrawn from the race.

Expression of Interest Withdrawn

Monday, 3 August 2009

Following a series of discussions with the Australian Rugby Union NSW Country Rugby has today withdrawn the Expression of Interest in the next Super Rugby Franchise.

The Board of NSW CRU has thanked the ARU for the opportunity to be involved in the next phase of the development of Super Rugby. After completing all enquiries with the necessary diligence the Board accepts the reality that we will be unable to meet the criteria set by SANZAR within the established time frames.

NSW CRU President Bruce Worboys said “participating in the EOI was a very positive and productive exercise for Country Rugby, and we thank the ARU for their support and guidance through the process. Unfortunately we were unable to meet all of the key criteria set by SANZAR and felt it proper to withdraw our EOI to allow the ARU to work with the other applicants”.

Mr Worboys added “One criterion that we did meet was Rugby Readiness. With 18,000 registered players across regional NSW and proven player development programs through Juniors, Schools, Colts and Seniors, NSW Country is the largest Union in Australia. Country Rugby has produced countless Wallabies over the years and has a supporter base no other Union can match”.

Country Rugby would also like to thank everyone who pledged their support of our application. We hope to meet with the ARU in the near future to discuss our ongoing role in the development of Australian Rugby. It is some time since we have met with the ARU and the opportunity to discuss our requirements will certainly assist with our planning.

NSW CRU wishes the very best of luck to the successful applicant and their submission to SANZAR.

From http://www.entrance.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?id=153101

Saw Pappy on Rugby Club last night and was a little dismayed when he talked about poaching leaguies. Didn't watch the whole show though so may have taken him out of context.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Mr Worboys added “One criterion that we did meet was Rugby Readiness. With 18,000 registered players across regional NSW and proven player development programs through Juniors, Schools, Colts and Seniors, NSW Country is the largest Union in Australia. Country Rugby has produced countless Wallabies over the years and has a supporter base no other Union can match”.

A supporter base spread over 800,000 m2. I think that was a pretty pointless comment.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
Rugby league is now about 50% polynesians and they fill out plenty of teams and stadia. If the ARU / NSWRU were serious about Western Sydney I'm sure a new team could be supported - mostly from new fans. But it would take time and effort and the financial world does not encourage such a venture right now.

Do you really need to base a whole new franchise out there to pick up players? Surely getting in a car (that you're not too attached to) with your chequebook would do the trick?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Well, not too many would be good enough for the Tahs as it stands. I don't know much about Pappy's backers, but the Parramatta Eels used to be interested in union. Having some RL connections in charge would offer young Westies another option for a sport career.

This is all long-term stuff, but I believe there is a real opportunity to scout for young RL players who have some connection to union (e.g., PIs), who are too fat or too tall to play league well.

This isn't about chequebooks for established players, it's about giving 18 year olds another pathway.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Just heard on ABC radio, the ARU have chosen Melbourne (didn't hear which bid though). Commonsense prevails.

Now for the Southern Spears.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The Australian Rugby Union has endorsed Melbourne as the country’s sole contending venue for the 15th Super rugby licence and called on the three bidders from the southern capital to join forces.

Melbourne was chosen by the ARU ahead of bids from western Sydney, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast while NSW Country withdrew last week.

ARU chief executive, John O’Neill said Melbourne gave Australia the best chance of securing the 15th franchise in the face of offshore competition.

The Super 14 is to expand by one team in 2011 with governing body SANZAR to decide later this year where the new side will be established.

While the 15th team will play in the Australian conference as part of a revamped competition, interested parties in South Africa and New Zealand are also bidding to have the side based within their national boundaries.

‘‘The ARU has called on the three parties from Victoria who put forward separate expressions of interest to join forces to ensure Australia’s prospects of securing the 15th Super rugby licence are maximised,’’ an ARU statement said on Wednesday.

Managing director and CEO John O’Neill added: ‘‘We want to make sure the 15th team is in Australia; thus the ARU will facilitate the potential for a seamless and sensible amalgamation of those interested parties.

‘‘It will surely put us in the best position possible.

‘‘There are elements in each of the Melbourne expressions of interest that ensure the sum of the parts will be extremely powerful.

’’ ... At this stage in the evolution of Super rugby, we believe Melbourne has the best chance of success.

‘‘We are in a three-nation race for the licence and we want the 15th team in Australia.

‘‘So we need to focus our energy on what will be our most compelling bid.’’

‘‘We believe western Sydney, Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast all have great prospects for the future,’’ O’Neill said of possible further expansion.

A final decision from SANZAR on the successful bidder is expected in late October.
http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/aru-backs-melbourne/2009/08/12/1249756339937.html

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I must be missing something here.

So the Melbourne groups combine and put their bid to SANZAR, then the three partners meet to discuss the three bids, and which has more merit to play in the Australian conference.

If NZRU and SARU go to the trouble of entering a bid, they obviously feel they can run a team in the Aus conference.

So, three votes with each of the voters having made their own submission. How can this possibly reach a consensus?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah, we know for a fact that the South Aftricans will vote for their own side, and highly likely the Kiwis would do the same. I wonder if the ARU will try to get together with the Kiwis to have a combined team based in Melbourne? This might the only way to get a majority vote on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.