• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2010 is World Cup Year for the women

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amanda

I played for a season in Ireland (a long time ago) and there was a huge amount of excitement during to 6 Nations not just about the test matches but the "A" and Under age games as well. I think if the ARU could get a Women's comp and U20's comp going it would add to the excitement and the profile of the Women's game would grow.

I think your average punter in the street would be surprised at the level of play in the Women's game. Some exceptional athlete's play the game.

There seems to be far more support for women's rugby overseas. Maybe it's a funding thing. But you're spot on: there are some amazing athletes in women's rugby.

In our team, for instance, Kristy Giteau is as naturally gifted as her brother Matt, and I'm sure she works just as hard on the technical and tactical aspects of the game. She's got amazing footwork and speed and her fend is lethal. Alex Hargreaves is a machine, every play she makes is with confidence and power and she dents the opposition at every point. There aren't many guys that play with such consistent intensity. Cookie is an incredible lineout thrower and plenty of guys recognise that not many male hookers have her measure.

It's great that the folk of G&GR are showing an interest: the ACT lasses are quite encouraged :) I'd love for the ARU to do more and I guess it will happen when someone makes it happen. Everything is possible, IMHO.

S

Second row

I have to agree with Amanda - the quality of women's rugby is superb in the ACT. Just when I thought I was going to catch up a bit, the rep girls stream ahead even further.

And it does seem like we are being taken seriously by the powers that be - good coaching, being recognised by our clubs etc.

Some of us just need to practice our sprinting now so we don't just :sharpe: at the breakdown

A

amanda

@Second Row - Agree, Keti and Reedy are fantastic for Uni-Norths and Vikings respectively. I don't really know the other coaches, but there is growing support.

A

amanda

TRIAL MATCH RESULTS

Two trial matches were played at Charlie Bali Reserve, Blacktown on Sunday, 16 May. Results as follows:

** ACT 88 def NSW Development 0

Points Scorers for the ACT:
Tries – Kristy Giteau 3, Alex Hargreaves 3, Nikki Ayers 3, Sharleen Coomber 1, Brooke Rowlands 1, Carly Hill 1, Sharni Williams 1, Erin Taylor 1.
Conversions; Sharni Williams 2, Rachel Fletcher 7.

** Sydney 29 def NSW Country 20

This was a tough contest, with both sides showing a good deal of improvement over recent showings.

The Australian Services teams will play in a tournament at Viking Park this coming Saturday which will serve as a selection trial for the ASRU team to compete at Nationals. ACT will play a trial against ASRU on 27 May at RMC.

A

amanda

2010 Women's National Championships Draw

The draw for Nationals is split into the following two divisions:

Division 1: QLD, Sydney, ACT, NSW Country
Division 2: Australian Services, NSW Development, Victoria, South Australia, Northern Territory

103347486-9f58ab2867742cdfb4656e19202a57d5.4bf5de97-scaled.png

A

amanda

Nationals are underway and here are some results:

QLD 17 def ACT 12

Sydney 35 def NSW Country 5

ASRU defeated NSW Development

More scores to follow.

I played in the ACT game and can say we had Queensland's measure for most of the game. We lost a bit of composure in the dying minutes: QLD ran in two tries in injury time to sink us while we had a player in the sinbin.

ACT defended courageously in the first half against a relentless QLD attack, conceding only 5 points off a set move from a lineout approx 30m out. Sharni Williams replied by gapping QLD in the midfield and scoring under the posts to make the score 7 - 5.

Alex Hargreaves scored in the corner for ACT shortly after the break and ACT were up 12 - 5. The second half was a dour struggle, and in the end, the field position QLD maintained took it's toll. With 7 minutes to go, Hargreaves was sinbinned after a few infringements on the ACT goal line and Queensland took advantage of their numbers to push their way over off a scrum. The scores were tied up at 12 all with a few minutes on the clock.

ACT's restart unfortunately went out on the full and Queensland smelt blood in the water. They attacked frenetically, and with Sharni Williams badly winded in midfield, they attacked the right flank, with Rebecca Tavo putting in a mammoth run to score in the corner. A lot of credit must go to Sharni, who chased 35m and tried desperately to get her into touch while not able to breathe.

The set piece was good from both sides, a good tussle.

Moving on, ACT play Sydney today in what will be another extremely competitive match.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Saw the SA team smash the NT girls yesterday. Heard ACT went down to Sydney in a closely fought match. Bad luck Amanda, sounds like a tough competition for the Canberra girls.

A

amanda

I was chatting to some of the NSW Development girls and their opinion was that the NT girls may have a league background.

Sydney took out the Championship this afternoon, with QLD the runners-up.

And thanks, Gambler. Yes, it was pretty tough. I guess we didn't really recover mentally from the loss to Queensland. We lost to Sydney 11 - 10 on Saturday and to NSW Country 12 - 10 today.

We managed to get a few girls in the 35-player Wallaroo Training Squad:

Sharni Williams (centre)
Alex Hargreaves (7,8)
Kim (Willow) Wilson (second row)
Ash Hewson (utility back)
Tegan Meredith (10/9)
Lindsay Morgan (1/3)
Louise Burrows (2/3)
Shellie Millward (second row)
Kristy Giteau (13, back 3)

I'm especially pleased for Willow because she's worked extremely hard to make it back after having a baby 5 months ago. I know how hard that is, she's a big inspiration to me, as is Lindsay. And I should say I learnt a hell of a lot from Alex and am proud I played 7 for two matches to her 1 for ACT :)

ACT chase third place at National Championships
Monday, 7 June 2010
Brumbies Media Unit

The ACT Women’s Representative side will look to match last year’s third-placing in the National Women’s Rugby Championships when they take on NSW Country at ANU this morning.

The two finalists, Queensland and Sydney, defeated the ACT in tight matches on Friday and Saturday respectively, while NSW Country lost both fixtures to today’s finalists, losing 36-5 to Sydney and 42-7 to the Queenslanders.

On Friday afternoon ACT lost 17-12 in the dying seconds to Queensland, before falling 11-10 to Sydney on Saturday morning.

The ACT has already beaten NSW Country convincingly in a trial match for this competition, winning 42-12, and will be keen to impress in their final showing in front of a home crowd.

The match kicks off at ANU North Oval at 11:15am, followed by the final at 12:30pm.

Queensland will take on Sydney to decide who will be crowed National Women’s Rugby champions for 2010.

Sydney will look to shut down Queensland’s World Cup-winning winger Rebecca Tavo who has touched down for four tries over two matches, including a hat-trick against NSW Country on Saturday.

Plenty is at stake for players with representative aspirations, with Wallaroos coach John Manenti to announce an extended training squad for the Women’s Rugby World Cup in England following the all-important clash.

Results:
Day One
Queensland 17 def ACT 12. Queensland 17 (Brown, Noble, Tavo - Tries; Gould - Conv) def ACT 12 (Hargreaves, Williams - Tries; Hewson -Conv)
Sydney 36 def NSW Country 5. Sydney 36 (Beck 2, Ina Mata, Morgan, Soon, Stowers - Tries; Pirie 3-Conv) def NSW Country 5 (Bayliss - Tries)
Victoria 10 def South Australia 0. Victoria 10 (Hodgkinson 2, Hill - Tries; Homman-Ludine, Jacoby- Conv) def SA 0
Australian Services 22 def NSW Development 5. Australian Services 22 (Downes, Porter, Vakalahi - Tries; Neville, Sullivan- Conv; Sullivan - Pen) def NSW Development 5 (Aromire-Tries) .

Day Two:
Sydney 11 def ACT 10. Sydney 11 (Stowers - Tries; Pirie 2-Pen) def ACT 10 (Williams-Tries; Hewson-Conv; Hewson-Pen).
Queensland 42 def NSW Country 7. Queensland 42 (Tavo 3, Cope, Campbell, Noble- Tries; Gould 3- Conv; Gould - Pen) def NSW Country 7 (Riordan-Tries; McGann-Conv).
NSW Development 73 def Northern Territory 0. NSW Development 73 (Bievins 2, Finau 2, Shoulders, Thompson, Marsh, Cormican, Ducker, De Decker, Jean, Maclarn, Aromire - Tries; Ducker 4-Conv) NT 0.

Day Three:
Victoria 29 def Australian Services 5
South Australia 54 def Northern Territory 0

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I was chatting to some of the NSW Development girls and their opinion was that the NT girls may have a league background.

Sydney took out the Championship this afternoon, with QLD the runners-up.

And thanks, Gambler. Yes, it was pretty tough. I guess we didn't really recover mentally from the loss to Queensland. We lost to Sydney 11 - 10 on Saturday and to NSW Country 12 - 10 today.

We managed to get a few girls in the 35-player Wallaroo Training Squad:

Sharni Williams (centre)
Alex Hargreaves (7,8)
Kim (Willow) Wilson (second row)
Ash Hewson (utility back)
Tegan Meredith (10/9)
Lindsay Morgan (1/3)
Louise Burrows (2/3)
Shellie Millward (second row)
Kristy Giteau (13, back 3)

I'm especially pleased for Willow because she's worked extremely hard to make it back after having a baby 5 months ago. I know how hard that is, she's a big inspiration to me, as is Lindsay. And I should say I learnt a hell of a lot from Alex and am proud I played 7 for two matches to her 1 for ACT :)

Who else made the squad?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I heard that the Wallaroo's squad was announced yesterday but can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have the squad list?

A

amanda

I haven't heard more than a few names, it's all been pretty quiet. Will post when I do...

A

amanda

Spoke too soon:

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/wallar..._double,140634.html/news/latest/section/21893

Iliseva
Batibasaga
QLD

Nicole
Beck
SYDNEY

Tricia
Brown
QLD

Cheyenne
Campbell
QLD
uncapped

Rebecca
Clough
WA

Kristy
Giteau
ACT

Alexandra
Hargreaves
ACT

Ashleigh
Hewson
ACT

Debby
Hodgkinson
WA

Tobie
McGann
NSWC

Danielle
Meskell
SYDNEY

Cobie - Jane
Morgan
SYDNEY

Lindsay
Morgan
ACT

Tui
Ormsby
SYDNEY

Shannon
Parry
QLD
uncapped

Silei
Poluleuligaga
QLD

Kate
Porter
ASRU

Chris
Ross
SYDNEY

Se'ei
Sa'u
QLD

Megan
Shanahan
NSWC
uncapped

Ruan
Sims
SYDNEY

Cheryl
Soon
SYDNEY

Rebecca
Trethowan
NSWC

Caroline
Vakalahi
ASRU
uncapped

Margaret
Watson
NSWC

Sharni
Williams
ACT

A

amanda

The Wallaroos are playing an internal trial match today at 2:30, Griffith Oval (Brumbies HQ). This is their last contact session before heading off to the World Cup on 15 August.

If you are in Canberra and can make it, I'm sure it'll be a good display :)

A

amanda

So the trial match went well, although I can't tell you the score. I believe there was an injury in the captain's run during the morning, but not sure of the severity. I didn't see Tobie McGann playing, so perhaps it was her, will follow up and post back.

I played in the shadows et al team (The Wenches). The Wenches pack featured two tourists, five shadows (all former Wallaroos bar one) and me (#6). The backline borrowed two tourists, and had one shadow, two ACT players and one local player (congratulations to Narelle, very young but very talented!)

Aussie management treated the game as a dress rehearsal for the first World Cup match. They were all miked up (the ref wasn't, haha). The medical staff were great, I have to say.

The Wallaroos had a strong scrum and had the Wenches going backwards. Their lineout seemed less crisp, to be frank, but got the job done.

There was a lot of kicking from the back three. At times, it was effective in gaining territory, at others, it turned into a game of forcings back.

The Wallaroos did a good job of playing the game in our half. They applied heat at the breakdown and effectively protected their own ball. They did have strong runners off the fringes of the ruck, and gapped us in pretty tight once with an (apparently) old Sydney move and once in the midfield, but of course most of their line breaks came out wide.

All players got a run, and everyone made it through without serious injury, although there appeared to be a few niggles.

The Wallaroos fly out for the World Cup on Sunday: here's hoping they kill it over there!

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Here is a good yarn about Wallaroos centre Cheyenne Campbell from the Daily Tele yesterday. Her ARU profile can be seen here http://www.rugby.com.au/players/wallaroos/2010_squad/campbell,_cheyenne,140611.html

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...quade-cooper-cry/story-e6frey4i-1225904596956

Girl who made Quade Cooper cry
Jon Geddes From: The Daily Telegraph August 13, 2010

WALLAROOS centre Cheyenne Campbell is the rugby player who used to reduce Wallabies attacking ace Quade Cooper to tears.
The pair of footballing cousins grew up together in Tokoroa, a town in the Waikato region of New Zealand, where they honed their rugby skills playing against each other.

"Our families are very close. We'd all just have our muck around in the yard playing rugby," Campbell said. "It was me, my younger brother Hosea, Quade and a few cousins. I'd like to think he picked up a few things from me."

And in those games she used to have the measure of her younger cousin Cooper, who has kicked on from those humble beginnings to become the magician in the Reds and Wallabies backlines.

"I think I used to make a few of those boys cry actually," she admitted. "He's got a lot faster and bigger since then so I don't know how we'd go now."

Even in those matches Cooper displayed the kind of skills that have become his trademark today to bamboozle opposition defences.

"He was always trying things in the backyard and they become part of you, I guess," Campbell said.

"He adds that creative flair, the attacking ability that I think all teams need."

When Campbell and her family migrated to Queensland in 1999, the Coopers followed soon after. And their arrival has certainly boosted Australia's rugby stocks.

While Cooper has clearly established himself as the Wallabies No .1 five-eighth, Campbell is set to make her own mark after being called into the Wallaroos squad for this month's World Cup in England. The 23-year-old caught the eye of selectors when crowned player of the tournament at the National Womens Championships in June while playing for Queensland.

"We have different strengths, but some of the freaky things he does you wish you could do-the flick pass and all ," she said.

Cooper does not dispute his cousin's account of the games they used to play together back in New Zealand.

And he spoke to Campbell before she went into camp with the Wallaroos squad prior to them flying to England on Sunday with some words of encouragement.

"I am very proud of her, she has worked hard for everything she has achieved," Cooper said.

Wallaroos coach John Manenti said Campbell was well on track to follow Cooper's path by making her Test debut this month.

"She is a very strong defender and physically she is very dominating at the breakdown," Manenti said.

"She is more a ballrunner than ballplayer and is being rewarded for working really hard on her strength and conditioning."

Status
Not open for further replies.