• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 IRB Player of the Year

Player of the Year 2011 will be...

• Genia

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Pocock

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Kaino

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Nonu

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Weepu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dusatoir

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I suspect they'll give a huge weighting to the RWC final. I'd be astounded if the winner wasn't from whichever team wins on Sunday.

That's what's really annoying about the RWC year. At the moment the ranking of the six nominees is probably something like:

1-3 Kaino, Pocock, Nonu in whatever order you prefer
4. Dusautoir
5. Genia
6. Weepu

But if France wil Dusautoir will jump from 4 to 1 based on one match and the rest of the year will be thrown out of the window.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Nonu for sure. Surprised at Genia who has had a worse season than last year and the exclusion of Beale (who has been better than last year when he was nominated) or Ioane.
Re: Harinordiquy he hasn't been starting since the 6 nations.
Very surprised O'Brian didn't get a look in after his six nations and World cup performances. Although Ireland were comprehensively atrocious in the warm up matches.

Really! I thought Beale was much better last year?

T

TheNextBigThing

Really! I thought Beale was much better last year?

Fair enough. I think I might be on my own with that one.
I just think he's been more mature and consistent this year. Especially considering the comparative lack of ball he's received. I felt he only really got into top gear towards the end of last year. I might also be getting confused, incorporating his sublime 2011 super rugby form into my estimation.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I have thought Kaino has been immense all year, so would be my pick.

But I'm a kiwi so.......

P

pete88

Fair enough. I think I might be on my own with that one.
I just think he's been more mature and consistent this year. Especially considering the comparative lack of ball he's received. I felt he only really got into top gear towards the end of last year. I might also be getting confused, incorporating his sublime 2011 super rugby form into my estimation.

Too. Many. Chipkicks.

From the away Bledisloe last year to the end of the tour he was our best back by a street. I dunno if having to share defensive fullback duties with Quade has put him off, but he's not been the same for me.

Digby's been our best back this year by a similar margin, although honourable mention to JOC (James O'Connor), one night stand sleep-ins and some shonky goal kicking notwithstanding.

As Bardon kind of already said, I think the player of the year award will go to the winning blindside flanker on Sunday, or possibly Nonu. For me Pocock has had a quiet year compared to 2010. Still a total fucking freak, but slightly quieter.

P

pete88

I have thought Kaino has been immense all year, so would be my pick.

He's mine as well. You missed him like a fat kid misses cakes in the Tri-Nations final. The only game the All Blacks have taken 100% seriously and lost since 2009 (Carter would have played a full game in HK if there was any silverware on the line, lets be honest). You lost it on the back of being dished up in the first half at the breakdown, and a fully fit Kaino instead of a crocked Adam Thompson would simply not have let that happen to the same extent.

Not that I'm totally wallowing in pessimism since we lost the semi and am retrospectively seeing all our achievements as significantly cheapened or anything...

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Pocock or Kaino for mine, grudging edge to Kaino particularly in recent games, but then Pocock was kinda special vs Boks, albeit highlighted by a Lawrence reffed breakdown.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm shocked that McCaw wasn't nominated - I thought it was one of the rules that he had to be nominated, and in fact win the award. Has there been a new ruling on this?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Doesn't need to be - will come in from the side as usual.

Pocock for mine - it's been a rare game he hasn't been outstanding through the whole season.

Kaino built through.

Manuel

Herbert Moran (7)
I can understand that none of the posters want to say this, but Dusautoir should be nowhere near that list. Most people here didn't see the 6N, but I can tell you that it was Dusautoir who captained France to a first ever loss to Italy and to a not-too-flattering loss to England. If a frenchman was to be nominated, that would be tha man in my avatar. Yachvili could come close except he didn't play much. Anyway, there is no obligation to nominate someone from both finalists!
SOB should have been there, and Geroge North as a second NH nominee (I thought EoYT also counted? He was immense against the bokke), but I think that being fucking nineteen years old played against him, so Roberts could have filled up the spot (even if his 6N was rathe unspectacular).
So my list would have been Nonu, Kaino, Pocock, Genia, O'Brien and North (or Roberts).
Kaino to win it anyway. If NZ lose the final, Pocock may have a chance.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thought Ioane was better than North tonight, and his super rugby form would have warranted nomination. I would have had SOB and Warburton ahead of Dusautoir. Phillips and Fotolai'i both ahead of Weepu

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think it would take less time to list players people wouldn't have put ahead of Weepu.

J

Jay

Thought Ioane was better than North tonight, and his super rugby form would have warranted nomination. I would have had SOB and Warburton ahead of Dusautoir. Phillips and Fotolai'i both ahead of Weepu

Super Rugby form isn't considered.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
I think people are being overly harsh on Weepu. He's a fat fuck, but a bloody good one. I've thought his form in the trinations and RWC has been immense. I think it's pretty much his form that has made the loss of Carter a managable loss.

I'm surprised SOB didn't get nominated ahead of the Dusautoir, he's been the form player all year.

J

Jay

I think people are being overly harsh on Weepu. He's a fat fuck, but a bloody good one. I've thought his form in the trinations and RWC has been immense. I think it's pretty much his form that has made the loss of Carter a managable loss.

I'm surprised SOB didn't get nominated ahead of the Dusautoir, he's been the form player all year.

Weepu's been great in the WC (in the games he's played) and was very good in the Bledisloe match in Auckland (I thought he outplayed Genia in the first half but faded due to fitness in the second), but that's really only a handful of matches. You shouldn't really be nominated for this award on the back of 5 or 6 matches, which is what's happened in his case.

J

Jay

Weepu dithered at the back of the ruck in that Bled I match

He also made the break that lead to the first try. And before anyone mentions Cooper being held by Williams, they should note what Simmons was doing to Weepu when Beale made his break....

Status
Not open for further replies.