• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
1 - McCabe (injured)
2 - Barnes (playing 10)
3 - Fainga'a
4 - Tapuai

This might be contentious

1. Barnes
2. JOC (James O'Connor)
3. Giteau
4. Harris
5. Tapuai
6. McCabe
7. Fainga
8. Lealiifano

28. Chariots

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
This might be contentious

1. Barnes
2. JOC (James O'Connor)
3. Giteau
4. Harris
5. Tapuai
6. McCabe
7. Fainga
8. Lealiifano

28. Chariots

Really? Chariots outplays every 12 on that list week in week out. The old boys club in this country is amazing, don't pick the in form centre of super rugby at any cost, bullshit.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Really? Chariots outplays every 12 on that list week in week out. The old boys club in this country is amazing, don't pick the in form centre of super rugby at any cost, bullshit.

I give carter a lot of stick but I love nothing more than watching him score a try. That hatrick he picked up last season was brilliant. I would actually rank him 9th but I like ball players first and physical dominance second. However, if you were to pick on consistency than tommy would have to be #1. Plus you've got to love his record of 500 points for Uni (100 tries, no penaltys, no conversions, no drop goals) but it show's you his versatility isn't great.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Yep he is so much better than JOC (James O'Connor) it is ridiculous.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yep he is so much better than JOC (James O'Connor) it is ridiculous.

Ball playing ability maybe, but TC wins hands down on defence, kick-chase and physical dominance.

I had a chat with Lachie Turner recently, he says that Tom is one of the nicest guys in the team.

Lachie said that during one of the Tahs games, someone was ripping into Tom Kingston, so Tommy Carter puts some niggle in so that the opposition will focus on him instead of some younger guys, cause Tommy can take it and some others can't.

Lachie Turner said:
He puts himself up there so that the opposition focus on him, instead of other guys who might not be able to take it, and that is part of his role, so everyone else can get on with their jobs on the pitch

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Ball playing ability maybe, but TC wins hands down on defence, kick-chase and physical dominance.

If Deans (assuming the "independant" review finds as expected he is in fact the greatest coach to walk the earth and the players are too young/inexperienced/didn't listen or decipher the Dingo wisdom/injured) is going to continue with the ridiculous defence oriented game Carter is probably the best player in Oz for it. Far better than McAbe IMO. Nobody has better tackle completion rates from 12 in Super Rugby, he is dominant in many tackles, actually chases kicks etc etc. I am far from an avid fan as I have always felt he is a limiting factor in the Tahs backline plays. However if the coach has a defence based game I doubt there are any better in Oz.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I give carter a lot of stick but I love nothing more than watching him score a try. That hatrick he picked up last season was brilliant. I would actually rank him 9th but I like ball players first and physical dominance second. However, if you were to pick on consistency than tommy would have to be #1. Plus you've got to love his record of 500 points for Uni (100 tries, no penaltys, no conversions, no drop goals) but it show's you his versatility isn't great.

If you pick carter then you won't need to pick an outside or any wingers.....at least in attack

T

Toby Lerone

Referees for the tour

26 November 2011
Barbarians vs Australia at Twickenham
Referee: Romain Poite (France)
Assistant referees: Andrew Small (England), Stuart Terheege (England)
Television match official: Graham Hughes (England)

3 December 2011
Wales vs Australia at Millennium Stadium
Referee: Jonathan Kaplan (South Africa)
Assistant referees: Dave Pearson (England), Jérôme Garces (France)
Television match official: Geoff Warren (England)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If you pick carter then you won't need to pick an outside or any wingers.....at least in attack

and that is different from how the Wallabies played the RWC & Tri Nations with McCabe how?

On Carter, he ain't up to test rugby, wonderful competitor (actually a prime example of a player who plays above his weight), but if McCabe can be dominated at the tackle by smart defenses in test matches, Carter is toast.

Carter is also an incredibly effective defender(probably the best defensive backline decision maker in the S15, his decisions to drift or rush are nearly always the correct ones), but he ain't not a dominant defender and that is what the Wobs were looking for.

If the Wobs are going to pick a crash ball at 12, they wanted him to also make dominant hits - to get Aus on the front foot, give Pocock the opportunity, so cooper can try to find defensive miss matches on counter. On attack Carter has been known to get turned over at S15 level as well, let alone test match rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Fat prop I kind of agree with you but somewhere along the line Carter should have been give a chance to fail at test level because you just never know.
He did throw a pass last season after kafe got into him on the rugby club, and a deft pass it was too
Maybe he's coachable

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Coachable? Carter and McCabe play a role in the team, both are very good footballers, they play as coached

Their roles at 12 is often to straighten the attack, take the tackle and set up that next phase. Then provide quick ball and hopefully provide mismatches out wider

Both have been criticised for that by some on here, but that is the job their coaches have given them.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Coachable? Carter and McCabe play a role in the team, both are very good footballers, they play as coached

Their roles at 12 is often to straighten the attack, take the tackle and set up that next phase. Then provide quick ball and hopefully provide mismatches out wider

Both have been criticised for that by some on here, but that is the job their coaches have given them.

some people are coachable - they can be coached to do a thing contrary to their instincts. some can't. my point was that when someone, kafe, told him what was required he did it. Its not beyond the realms of possibility that that was the first time anyone had suggested something to him.
coaching in this country never seems to be about the little things - the basics.

Status
Not open for further replies.