• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 World XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GC

We are the number 2 ranked nation in the world. We've beaten the All Blacks in 2 of our last 3 games and the no. 3 ranked Springboks in 4 of the last 5 including 2 in SA. It's no suprise we have more than 1 or 2 world class players. Don't see why others are talking down the quality of our best players.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
haha missed my point, I was merely saying the potential is there.

Indeed. It's just a fun thread, and we do have a lot of players with great potential.

No one is suggesting that the Wallabies will populate a World XV.

alex5545

Bob McCowan (2)
15 Mils
14 Mitchell
13 Smith (you can't separate smith from Nonu otherwise you won't have the Worlds best midfield)
12 Nonu
11 Habana
10 Carter
9 Genia
8 Spies
7 McCaw
6 Kaino
5 Thorn
4 Horwill
3 O Franks
2 Bismarck du Plessis
1 Robinson

16 Mealamu
17 Woodcock
18 Matfield
19 Pocock
20 Cowan
21 Steyn
22 Beale

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
We are the number 2 ranked nation in the world. We've beaten the All Blacks in 2 of our last 3 games and the no. 3 ranked Springboks in 4 of the last 5 including 2 in SA. It's no suprise we have more than 1 or 2 world class players. Don't see why others are talking down the quality of our best players.

We lost 2 of our last 3 to England and our last games to Samoa and Scotland. Yes, we're doing okay, but let's not over egg the pudding.

15 Mils
14 Mitchell
13 Smith (you can't separate smith from Nonu otherwise you won't have the Worlds best midfield)
12 Nonu
11 Habana
10 Carter
9 Genia
8 Spies
7 McCaw
6 Kaino
5 Thorn
4 Horwill
3 O Franks
2 Bismarck du Plessis
1 Robinson

16 Mealamu
17 Woodcock
18 Matfield
19 Pocock
20 Cowan
21 Steyn
22 Beale

A tri-nations 22. Well done. Now how about a team picked from all nations.

This thread is becoming absurd. Clearly most of us haven't seen enough NH games, don't watch NH club rugby and therefore haven't watched the 6 Nations teams, the Pacific Islanders or Argentinians play and are basing it on the last 6 weeks of rugby. We don't have any credibility when we do that.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)

This thread is becoming absurd. Clearly most of us haven't seen enough NH games, don't watch NH club rugby and therefore haven't watched the 6 Nations teams, the Pacific Islanders or Argentinians play and are basing it on the last 6 weeks of rugby. We don't have any credibility when we do that.

Even if you have been watching the most recent NH tests, it's not exactly telling. The games seem to be more practice matches, with odd selections and combinations from all sides. I think it'll only be really measurable once the pool phase is over in a month's time.

alex5545

Bob McCowan (2)
We lost 2 of our last 3 to England and our last games to Samoa and Scotland. Yes, we're doing okay, but let's not over egg the pudding.

Haven't watched enough of the NH teams to really select players from them but after the World Cup I will be able to. Also wasn't sure about which props except O Franks and a number 8 to pick. On second thought I would pick Read over Spies for number 8.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Nearly at the finals stages, was having a quick glance at the Fantasy dream team on Foxsports. Obviously have to consider pre-world cup form and quality of opposition, so thought I would ask who would make your world XV?

I'll start with the certainties.
1. Owen Franks (NZL)
2. Bismark du Plessis (SAF)
3. Dan Cole (ENG)
4. Bakkies Botha (SAF)
6. Jerome Kaino (NZL)
7. Heinrich Brussouw (SAF)/ Richie McCaw (NZL)/ Sam Warburton (WAL)/ David Pocock - All similiar, probably will require a poll
8. Sergio Parisse (ITA)
9. Will Genia (AUS)
10. Dan Carter (NZL)
11. Richard Kahui (NZL)
14. Vincent Clerc (FRA)
15. Kurtley Beale (AUS)/ Pat Lambie (SAF)

16. Stephen Moore (AUS)
18. Dannie Russouw (SAF) - Covers 4/5/6/8
20. Morgan Parra (FRA) - Covers 9/10
22. Israel Dagg (NZL) - Covers 11/14/15

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
My world XV would be:

1. Franks
2. Servat/kev/du Plessis/Moore
4. Horwil
6. Kaino
7. McCaw
8. Reid

9. Genia
10. Carter
11. Ioane
12. Nonu
13. Fourie/Smith
14. Mitchell
15. Beale/Dagg

I'd have Hougaard and Pocock on the bench.

Kangaroo Sausage

Peter Burge (5)
Nearly at the finals stages, was having a quick glance at the Fantasy dream team on Foxsports. Obviously have to consider pre-world cup form and quality of opposition, so thought I would ask who would make your world XV?

I'll start with the certainties.
1. Owen Franks (NZL)
2. Bismark du Plessis (SAF)
3. Dan Cole (ENG)
4. Bakkies Botha (SAF)
6. Jerome Kaino (NZL)
7. Heinrich Brussouw (SAF)/ Richie McCaw (NZL)/ Sam Warburton (WAL)/ David Pocock - All similiar, probably will require a poll
8. Sergio Parisse (ITA)
9. Will Genia (AUS)
10. Dan Carter (NZL)
11. Richard Kahui (NZL)
14. Vincent Clerc (FRA)
15. Kurtley Beale (AUS)/ Pat Lambie (SAF)

16. Stephen Moore (AUS)
18. Dannie Russouw (SAF) - Covers 4/5/6/8
20. Morgan Parra (FRA) - Covers 9/10
22. Israel Dagg (NZL) - Covers 11/14/15

Your credibility is shot on the very first line. How do you figure Owen Franks to be the best loosehead in the world?

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Sure things:
Genia (easily)
Horwill (no one else close for a TH lock)
Beale (Mils has dropped off markedly)
Pocock (has been better than McCaw for at least a year)

In top 3 in position:
Moore
Elsom (storming return to form - almost back to his NH level)
Cooper
JOC (James O'Connor)
Mitchell
Digby

Pocock is not a sure thing against Brussow from the Boks.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Mils, Habana and Spies? Surely taking the piss?

Can people stop including Horwill and Thorn? What a disaster that would be.

They're never going to play so I think you can take a few risks
Kahui is ahead of Ioane, Mitchell hasnt done anything internationally for 18 months
Nonu and smith are 50% better than the next best centre combination in world rugby

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I'm sure it's been said before, but individuals don't win world cups. Australia may not have 5 World XV players, but I doubt any team could lay claim to having a stronger XV, maybe the All Blecks. What Australia does have is talent across the park, that if they work cohesively can beat any team on their day regardless of the individuals.

I'd like to think our only weakness is our centre pairing which we are in the process of figuring out now, come the final or semi's I'm sure we will have more than the two or so World XV players we have now.

Possible World XV players post RWC:
Kepu - Growing each game, has high work rate and is establishing himself as a world class prop.
Moore - Contender already, very consistent and will lay claim to a World XV spot if he can remain our starter over TPN whilst the Boks persist with Smit.
Horwill - Establishing himself as a premier lock, does all the essentials right and has tremendous leadership skills.
Elsom - Slowly climbing back to the lofty heights we saw him at a few years back.
Pocock - Has some real competition for the #7 jersey but is part of a growing pack and has been highly influential. Possesses leadership qualities too.
Samo - Abit past it in age but is in red-hot form and completely outplayed the entire Kiwi backrow last week. RWC will be his last international tournament I imagine, so expect him to go out with a bang.
Cooper - The key weapon to one of the most lethal backlines in world rugby, if he can keep level-headed throughout and show composure in vital moments he will establish himself as the world class 10 that we all want him to be.
Ioane - Has lit the world on fire in the past 4 months and will no doubt be a starter for the Wallabies come finals time. Has unpredictability, speed and agility combined with the ability to read Coopers mind
Ashley Cooper - Starting to show ominous signs, still abit away from where we want him but has the potential and is starting to hit his straps. Dilemma is where to play him in the Aussie backline as he continually proves us wrong no matter where we put him.
Mitchell - A world class winger before his injury, looked good for the Baa Baa's and will be a key weapon for the wallabies. Possesses all the attributes you could ever need in a winger.
Barnes - If fit, I would consider him a vital cog in the Australian armour. Adds utility value and posses terrific attributes to come off the bench and play any position or game plan.
O'Connor - Admittedly, not even I know where to fit him in our backline but have to admit he possesses attributes that are invaluable and he would make most international teams. Can cover practically any position and has the added skill of goal kicking.

Others.
Vickerman - Won't be making any World XV anytime soon but on his day is capable of derailing any world cup campaign. Hits the rucks hard and is a wrecking bull who opponents fear.
Sharpe - Has experience but has fallen out of favour with Deans. I still rate him and wouldn't be worried with him holding down a lock spot in our starting XV. Has ability to change games and good line-out calling.
Slipper - Slowly improving and has the potential to match most props in the world. Will need a strong campaign to get near a World XV spot however.
Robinson - The Prop. With him I have no doubt that the Australia scrum can hold their own. Big loss but is still a heavily influential player and will be on the plane over to help his successors.

Yeah, I agree, all the Australian players are awesome or developing to be awesome. All are on the way up and up and up...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They're never going to play so I think you can take a few risks
Kahui is ahead of Ioane, Mitchell hasnt done anything internationally for 18 months
Nonu and smith are 50% better than the next best centre combination in world rugby

LOL Kahui is ahead of Ioane since playing what 3 Internationals at wing??

Mitchell is still the best winger in the world. You said he hasn't done anything in the last 18 months well it hasn't even been 10 months since he killed it on the EOYT.

Status
Not open for further replies.