• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 IRB Sevens - Gold Coast 7's - 13/14 October

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Gold Coast 7's contributed $7million to the GC last year, expected to contribute more in 2012...

International broadcasters of the tournament have increased from 15-20 for 2012 as well..which means increased exposure for the Gold Coast and a boost to tourism..

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Give it a fair go. This is only going to get bigger and bigger.

A mistake to run it at the same time as schoolies, and with limited promotion.

They have learned and this year will be bigger and better.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Looking at those names, it's good to see a bit of continuity to this new Sevens season as there has been a revolving door selection issue in the past. To be fair some of the absentees in the last few years have progressed to Super Rugby; so you can't grumble about that.

The last I watched the Oz 7s team it had some issues: too many players the same - guys who were steppers, and not enough flyers and bigger players with engines. It looks like some steppers have been replaced; so that is a good move.

As a couch potato expert I reckon that the ideal 7 on the park at any time is: 2 flyers, 2 steppers, 2 larger big engine guys and one outrageous X-factor fellow. Sure, better still to have players who combine these things, but you know what I mean when you see shortcomings and try to work out why.

There is a role for bigger players and I noted that our fellows were being pushed off the ball in the scrums.

Shannon Walker is our X-factor guy and it's important that he stays healthy.

Let's see how these fellows go this season as a team with a bit of continuity. I'm looking forward to it for that aspect alone though I fear there will be imbalance still.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Lee, would be interested to see what you think the best 7 or 12 from the current sevens squad would actually be? Do you think we have the required 'flyers', 'steppers' and larger guys with big engines.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In addition to the 2 Steppers, 2 Greyhounds, 2 Buffalos, and Mr X, one of them MUST be able to drop kick.

Missed conversions really hurt teams in tight games.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
In addition to the 2 Steppers, 2 Greyhounds, 2 Buffalos, and Mr X, one of them MUST be able to drop kick.

Missed conversions really hurt teams in tight games.

Absolutely right. An unconverted try is not worth much in Sevens.

Incidentally, the two buffaloes have to be pretty quick, too, or one of them does. There is room for no more than one plodder on the paddock in this form of the game, and he has to be pretty useful in the exchanges.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Trying to stay with animal metaphors:
2 Steppers = 2 Eels (slippery as...)
2 Flyers = 2 Greyhounds or whippets (Cheetahs is already taken by S15 and could be confused with Cheaters)
2 bigger players with engines = 2 Buffalos (Pretty sure these big buggers have big tickers and can also get up some speed - Maybe Wildebeast? I like Gorillas but is that too much of a plodder?)
1 Mr X = Quarterback - Is this a fox terrier or a Kelpie?

Two Eels, Two Greyhounds, Two Buffalos, One Kelpie ? any advance

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee, would be interested to see what you think the best 7 or 12 from the current sevens squad would actually be? Do you think we have the required 'flyers', 'steppers' and larger guys with big engines.

One category I forgot is "quarterback" the type of sevens player that Stannard was - and Golling for England. You need one of them on the park and a backup somewhere in the 12. We have a back up in Lucas but nobody like Stannard nor B. Foley or H. Angus who were backups.

When I look at the 12 named: Ed Jenkins (capt), Allan Fa'alava'au, Matt Lucas, Pama Fou, Jesse Parahi, Sean McMahon, Lewis Holland, Jordan Tuapou, Will Miller, Jacob Taylor, Luke Morahan, Shannon Walker ..... you can see why the Samoans nearly beat us in the Tokyo final last year because of their strength and power at the breakdown.

Our blokes got there quicker and it negated that but the scrums were a challenge with Jenkins (a winger in real life) and McMahon packing down. The other guy, Parahi, was big enough but we need another Shawn McKay type of forward to help him out, or when he takes a breather.

I'd categorise the 12 players thus:

Flyers: Morahan, Pau

Steppers: Allan F, Walker

Scrummies/ backup Quarterbacks: Holland, Lucas

Big forward: Parahi

Big engines: Miller, McMahon, Tuapou, Jenkins

Swerver/Linebreaker: Taylor.

Of course all squad members have to have the general Sevens attributes.

I wouldn't say Jenkins is a flyer these days. The steppers have been reduced in number and Morahan has been added as a flyer; so that is better balance.

There is no real rainmaker quarterback in the squad as most of the previous ones have moved on to Super Rugby which you can't complain about, but we need to get one down the track for the Olympics. Zack Holmes and B. Foley would have been handy to have on the weekend. Maybe Taylor will take on a B. Foley role - let's see.

One or even two of those big engine guys could have been bigger boppers. It was embarrassing to see the Poms a couple of years ago pushing us back in the 7s scrums - as well as in the XVs.

But none of the 7s teams are perfectly balanced; anticipation and backing up throughout the squad - and countering the same from opponents is more important than specialities.

T

TOCC

one big difference between a few years ago, all these blokes playing 7's look super fit.. lean with prominent vascularity...

T

TOCC

7's getting a bit better coverage this year, last year it barely rated a mention in the newspaper down on the coast.

RUGBY sevens has everything an Aussie footy audience craves - tries at a machinegun rate, beers galore, crowd craziness, international flavour and a victor crowned in two hectic days.
Nearly everything.
An Australian team excelling on home soil is the missing magnet, and this weekend's stop on the Gold Coast by the HSBC Sevens World Series is the latest shot at finding that crowning piece.
The big sell has been on in earnest to lure the curious footy fan. French players swimming with dolphins, the Portuguese floundering on jet boats, a Rio Carnivale-themed opening on Surfers Paradise Beach ... every photo op imaginable has been created to generate publicity. It's a buzz the Australian Rugby Union wants to keep escalating all the way to 2016.
Sevens rugby also has something far greater in the package from now on. For all those who have debunked sevens as frivolous, fleeting, fast-food sport, it now has serious substance
cont reading:

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Loving the games so far;
England 14 - Kenya 14
Portugal running out of puff against Wales, after leading 12-0 at oranges. Welsh come back to win 19-12:(

Early stuff but the stands are looking a little too empty.

T

TOCC

yeah its look pretty empty, no daylight savings up there so its only 12:00, maybe they will start filling up later in the day

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Slowly filling up with each game, so there is promise. Oval surface is looking great. Weather similar.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Damn, these Fijians are good. 3 debutants, only 42 tournaments experience in their squad, and they play like they have all done 42 tournaments each.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Morahan lasts 1 minute and is gooone

I like the look of McMahon, I'd like to see him play 15s at 6.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Spain lead the Soap Dodgers 10-8 with 0:52 to go. C'mon Espana.

Schizzen. 1. Williams goes 70 metres to score the matchwinner for the Blue Team - England.

Status
Not open for further replies.