• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 Australia vs New Zealand - 18 August

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 between NZ and Australia?

• The Men in Gold - The Wallabies

Votes: 50 45.9%
  • The Darkness - The New Zealand Rugby Team

Votes: 59 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Personally I didn't think it was as bad as everyone is saying. Both teams were off and the ref was a bit pedantic (but even handed) which resulted in a less than enjoyable game to watch. But that being said, I feel we had the cattle and the game to win that one - we simply made to many errors. Genia, Sharpe and Ioane all played well but added to that I thought our centres went well also. Up front, I thought Dennis and Timani went well also.

It was interesting to note that the AB's tighthead came from the one scrum that Timani was absent for.

Both teams squandered good ball at times, but we got beaten at the breakdown too often.

Beale had a shocker, and that is a concern. I'd nearly start Drew at 14, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15 and Beale to the bench next week.

The use of the bench could've been better. For the whole second half we were in the game. What we needed was an injection. Instead of dribbling a couple of reserves on 5-10 mins apart I would've liked to have seen 3 sets of fresh legs come on together to try and spark something. Energy breeds energy and we needed something out there.

It's wierd. But it's almost as if they needed a reason to fire up. Emotionally or mentally exhausted before the game maybe?

Bring on game 2! Hope we can break the drought at Eden Park!

Have a look at these stats: http://livescores.smh.com.au/matches/rugby/match17233.html?page=scorecard&refresh=1345355793059

I am very surprised at the rucks and malls figures and the tackle counts as well.

We made 30 more runs but made 4 less line breaks!!

Andrew Eordogh

Frank Row (1)
Enough of these impotent backines!

Didn't work in the World Cup, didn't work last night.

Cooper at 10, Barnes at 12, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 and Mitchell on the wing.

JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 when fit. Barnes to substitute for Cooper when he gets too many brain explosions.

With Digby and KB (Kurtley Beale) they are all people who can bust the line and can finish attacking plays.

The ABs have 2 arms and 2 legs just like we do and we can break their line in the backs just like they can.

The love affair with McCabe, Fainga'a and Horne should be ended. Tears and all.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A couple more observations from the Stadium last night.

What is it with booing kickers when they are about to take a kick for goal?

This is very poor spectatorship. Call me an old fashioned fuddy duddy, but this is wrong, and not a way that a host should behave. The Irish have it right. You can hear a pin drop when anyone lines up a shot for goal in the Emerald Isle.

While I do not necessarily agree with the Mexican Wave concept, Booing the members when they don't participate in the Wave is an acceptable practice.

What is it with blowing the home town advantage through relative silence? The crowd last night didn't really fire up until the 70 minute mark. Yes there was some mistake ridden footy being displayed by both teams, but silence? This would never happen in BrisVegas. If we have a home town advantage then we need to use it to our advantage and yell the place down (no booing).

The Rugby Barmy Army will be here next year with the Lions and if we don't lift our game in the stands, we will be significantly and humiliatingly outperformed.

There may not have been too much to cheer about, but crikey make some collective noise of encouragement.

Anthems. I think the NZ anthem was performed better than ours. Still hurting from the humiliation of Carisbrook when the Darkness used the Scandal'us Popstars Group to butcher our anthem.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Genia has terminal (I think) wallaby half backitis - this disease takes a long time to kill its host and tends to adversely impact on the rest of the team for up to a decade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hasn't this been so for longer than a decade?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Watching the replay and Timani, in particular, closely.

Honestly, the guy is a myth. An occasional big tackle or offload or clean out but he spends half his time walking. He ends up wide because he gets up so slowly and walks his way to the defensive line more times than not.

How a guy like that can get selected at this level is just beyond me. He seems to have the skill of an occasional big effort followed by a long bludge.

And the amount of posts here now defending him as deserving of a spot is making me seriously sad and just highlights how little we here in Australia appreciate and understand good forward play.

The guy is standing as wide as Higgers for most of the game for crying out loud and he is a tight head lock.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, I haven't seen anything of him that suggests he's better than those other 3 players I've mentioned.........

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hasn't this been so for longer than a decade?
The disease process goes like this: everyone gets the shits with incumbent half back and he misses a game for the up and comer who has a screaming good game. Incumbent comes back in and everyone cant understand why as the new one plays superbly as a replacement and in s. 15. Eventually the incumbent is shown the door and for a single season the new bloke plays the house down.....then everyone starts getting the shits with him and starts looking fo the replacement. The cycle repeats.
I can trace it back to Farr-Jones: everyone thought Slattery should get more games.
I've seen it with Gregan, Burgess and now Genia.
But I was really only talking about the version that Genia has, which is unique: it seems to come in waves and is not entirely related to whether we have parity in the pigs. Last night I saw symptoms that were worse than Gregan's in the end stage.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Turned off the replay now, too depressing watching out pack.

Bit unfair of me singling out Tmani, he wasn't alone in taking too many bludges. TPN and Higgers, and Kepu less often too, all were we'll down on what is expected from forwards in the second ranked team.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Next game is do or die. Fainga'a and Horne were two players who showed from the outset that they were up for it, and they played exactly to the script set. But our forwards didn't fire, and the ball we had was used terribly.

Something has to change. I am not too stubborn to say give Barnes a go at 12 outside Cooper, it will create a lot more lines of attack and make ABs have to think a lot more in defense.

Yes we will lose defense, but Barnes is a good defender, just not a dominant tackler. Far better to change it up and get smashed trying than to lose without asking any questions of the opposition.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
2 defensive centres instead of 2 playmakers hasn't worked. That's a fact.

They just don't generate tries. Wingers are just not scoring in the corner.

Barnes till JOC (James O'Connor) comes back at 12 for me.

Barnes is one of the best defensive players in the team.
It actually did work, two tries to two bad errors from KB (Kurtley Beale).
Take out the brain farts and you have a game plan that worked despite our forwards not getting parity.

Status
Not open for further replies.