• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 4 Game 1 New Zealand vs South Africa - 15 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 4 Game 1 between SAF and NZL?

• The Darkness – New Zealand

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • The Bokke – South Africa

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm no coach but I agree that picking Goosen and Lambie to start would probably be the way to go in this game.

I actually think the Boks will and probably should stick to what they're good at. But the kick chase gameplan only works if you have a dominant forward pack.

The Boks will play right into their hands. It wont be 22- nil though. All blacks by about 14

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Paarl, Mank, Blue et al would be interested to hear your views as to whether you think Aplon could offer you some thrust, at least off the bench for the game in Dunedin tomorrow.

I appreciate that he's far from the biggest unit but he's greased lightning & I recall him scoring some excellent tries for the Stormers this year from half sniffs. Surely the Boks could do with his pace.

I assume that he's not injured & see that his Western Province team is doing well in the Currie Cup.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think the Boks are in trouble; not that I think the Blacks are playing that great by their standards.

I was surprised how un-Bok like the SAffer defence was in Perth and the lack of penetration of the backs was Wallabies-like. Nor did their big ball runners get too far with Aussies holding onto their ankles. Their lineout has lost its mojo, and what is happened to JdV - or more exactly: if he is injured, why is he playing?

I see that Louw is coming into the side to give the Boks a bit more presence over the ball. I don't remember his being an ace fetcher. It is a tough call on young Coetzee to be benched because I thought he was one of the Boks best players last week. They played him on the openside and though he's played there for the Sharks when Alberts played on the blind, it's not really his position. If they wanted to play Louw I would have kept Coetzee and put him on the other flank and benched Alberts, who was almost anonymous except when missing a tackle.

But they made the right call last week starting Pienaar as scrummie. Hougaard is versatile but he is a bit like his countryman Sarel Pretorious in that he is strong in the run, but less so in the pass and the kick.

And what about the Blacks? I thought they were ordinary in Sydney and in that test against Ireland they nearly lost. At Eden Park they won by over 20 but scored only 1 try against an embarrassing Aussie team - and they looked rattled in the rain for a while against the Argies. The trouble for opponents is that their below average performances come with periods of brilliance, almost despite themselves.

On the face of it the Boks have no hope but I remember another game in Dunedin a few years ago when they upset the Blacks. You never know.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Good - Yes.

Undefeated 2012 - Yes, So far.

#1 IRB Rank - Yes, definately so.

Greatest Ever - far too early to tell. Let time and history be the judge.

Agree with all of this. What's unfortunate for the other teams is that they're playing like shit and still winning.

My bugbear for now: Our attack. And I'll stick my head out:

We have a lock trying to be Colin Meads when he's plainly more suited to Ian Jones. Luke Romano is currently a media darling but my biggest question mark. Watch his seagulling ways - which may be game plan based, but are stinking up the backs more often than not. He got battered in Wellington because he isn't that guy.

In broken play our forwards are competent ball runners/carriers/players. But planning to use the small numbers for moves smells of that disease coaches get when other teams give them a bit of a ride.

Shag's got Foracks Syndrome.

Reactions: ACR

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Foxtel has just briefly shown a bunch of male Uni Students in tutu like costumes performing some form of interpretive contemporary dance number. Apparently it is a traditional pre match thing in Dunedin.

Gotta be a pisstake, but a good one, N'est Pas? Anyone able to throw some light on that.

IIRC the Students (scarfies) traditionally have an international Nude Rugby "Test" Match with the obligatory clothed streaker in the build up to the Dunedin Test. Did this occur?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"Both Ends" Wee Poo has just done a Wobs style Chip Kick with a Perth type outcome. Maybe the Darkness have been wathcing the tapes from last week. 3:30 gone no score.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Saffers butchered a try there. 5:00 gone.

Anyone on this thread not have Foxtel and want some updates?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Steyn, F - PK for Smith C not releasing ball. 42 metres out - 15 m to the right of the posts. Hooked to the left of the posts. 10 minutes gone. 0-0. Saffers have had most of the attack.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So far the Boks intensity has been at a much higher level than it's been so far in the RC, unfortunately for them the same can't be said about their accuracy.

For NZ Weepu is playing to his status, a player who's no longer automatic first choice and you can see the rustiness and miscommunication there for that.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
All Blacks look very flat.

They're definitely flat, but then they haven't really clicked into top gear so far this RC. As a neutral it's been good to see NZ having to defend for extended periods as good defence can be entertaining too.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bokke defence has been strong so far. Territory = 50-50. Possession 62-38 to the All Blecks. 14:00 gone score 0-0.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Darkness offside at maul. PK to Saffer. Steyn M to kick. 42 out 20 metres in from touch left side of the oval. Success, SA 3 - NZ 0. 17 min gone.

Messum has been taking lessons from Sir Richie.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
15 Dagg responds with a Try in the Right corner. Darkness 5 Saffer 3.

Dagg to whitelock - Read - Dagg. Well workled try.

Cruden misses conversion to the right. 20 min gone. Saffer restart.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Two good offloads in that move for the try, Dagg did an immense amount of work in that move well deserved try for him.

SA need to get back to the intensity they had in the first 10 minutes or NZ could have one of their purple patches that can decide a game early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.