• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 S15 All things Referee thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lets keep the ref bitching out of the match thread and throw everything ref into one pot and discuss. We already have one about the scrums and the first 6 rounds refs had been announced

http://images.supersport.co.za/120208 SANZAR Announces Referee Appointments.pdf

SARugby
SANZAR today revealed the referee appointments for the first six rounds of the 2012 Super Rugby season, kicking off on Friday February 24th.
Chris Pollock will kick off the season overseeing the opening round one and 2012 clash between the Blues and the Crusaders at Eden Park on February 24th (KO: 19h40 local), a fixture which marks the beginning of the New Zealand Conference.
Across in Canberra, Garrett Williamson will control the match between the Brumbies and Force (KO: 19h35 local) to open the Australian Conference; while later that evening Jonathan Kaplan will officiate the match between the Bulls and Sharks in Pretoria (KO: 19h10 local) to start the South African Conference.
SANZAR Game Manager Lyndon Bray was excited in releasing the first appointments for 2012, having just spent a very meaningful four days in camp with the SANZAR Referee Team, at Coogee Beach in Sydney during January.
Bray said key points for the first six rounds of Super Rugby were a continuation of handling the ‘Big 5’ priorities consistently, looking to continuously improve performance on the field and to make the game easy to play, referee and understand (as spectators).
"There has been a real commitment by our team to look to improve on our overall outcomes and deliver our best possible performance every time we run out onto the field. We have spent considerable money and time on new technology to support the guys off the field, now we are coming to the time, like the teams, when we need to put the performance on the field. I know the guys can't wait for the season to start."
SANZAR and Bray were looking forward to committing to weekly reviews of the ‘Big 5’ priorities, with more details regarding the new initiative to be released in the coming days.
Bray confirmed that SANZAR has some new game footage technology, which improves the ability to share game clips not only with referees, but also with teams.
"We have created some new ways to share game clips and footage that helps both referees and players to amend technique and improve accuracy in their performance. These tools will aid our review of games and allow us to provide more meaningful feedback to the referees and to the team coaches. The bottom line is that we want to continue the trend of the last couple of years, and keep getting better, not only as individuals, but across the whole referee team."
This year sees five new referees (Mike Fraser NZ, Angus Gardner & Andrew Lees AUS, Lourens van der Merwe & Stuart Berry SA) introduced to the Super Rugby, and they will enter the competition as the right time arrives.
"The management team has to make astute decisions about the timing of appointing the new guys in the middle, and what game would best suit them. It is the same dilemma that confronts the team coaches as they look to introduce new players onto the field. Sometimes injury or loss of form by others helps make that decision!"
Bray added that there are some key referees for the future that will be closely measured early on, to monitor progress.
"Jaco Peyper had a big year in 2011 and we are going to really push him early, and gauge where he is at. This could be a really good year for him. Glen Jackson is also one for the future and our plan is to run him more in 2012. In the middle of our Merit Panel, there are several guys who I am sure would love to put some pressure on the guys at the top of the tree at the moment. It is all healthy competition."

Appointments week 1:

WEEK 1
1.Friday 24 February Blues v Crusaders Auckland 19:35 Chris Pollock
2.Friday 24 February Brumbies v Force Canberra 19:40 Garratt Williamson
3.Friday 24 February Bulls v Sharks Pretoria 19:10 Jonathan Kaplan
4.Saturday 25 February Chiefs v Highlanders Hamilton 19:35 Jonathon White
5.Saturday 25 February Waratahs v Reds Sydney 19:40 Jaco Peyper
6.Saturday 25 February Stormers v Hurricanes Cape Town 17:05 Marius Jonker
7.Saturday 25 February Lions v Cheetahs Johannesburg 19:10 Mark Lawrence

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would love to be at the Lion v Cheetahs game just to see the response the crowd has to Mark Lawrence lol

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Bryce doesn't see a South African team in that time. Coincedence?

More important is Jaco Peyper, Reds v Tahs RD1. Can't say i can remember him and a quick google seems he is 'pedantic'. Not a good sign.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

More important is Jaco Peyper, Reds v Tahs RD1. Can't say i can remember him and a quick google seems he is 'pedantic'. Not a good sign.
Peyper is one of the best up and coming young SA refs. He sure is consistent and you cant ask more then that from a ref.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)

No complaints about Peyper at all. He was the ref for the Stormers-Reds game in Capetown last year, and I though he was very good. Managed the game very well.

S

spooony

Me and Paarl are eagerly awaiting the Bryce Lawrence depression thread

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I am disappointed that he dont get a run as quick as possible in SA. Will settle all the ref bashers in SA and him getting over the past. But then I am not a good head docter at all.

S

spooony

I am disappointed that he dont get a run as quick as possible in SA. Will settle all the ref bashers in SA and him getting over the past. But then I am not a good head docter at all.
If that happen I just hope he doesn't have another off day. He will be hated more than KP

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
There must be a thousand threads on here where people can discuss Bryce Lawrence at the 2011 World Cup, instead of polluting this one by continuing to flog that dead horse.

For the record, SANZAR wont put him on any SA home games because they predict it will cause an "unnecessary sideshow" to the actual rugby game. So no point going on about it here.

As for the first round. I reckon Peyper is a good choice for Tahs vs Reds game. I sometimes think they get too obsessed with getting "home" refs to referee national derby's.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
There must be a thousand threads on here where people can discuss Bryce Lawrence at the 2011 World Cup, instead of polluting this one by continuing to flog that dead horse.

For the record, SANZAR wont put him on any SA home games because they predict it will cause an "unnecessary sideshow" to the actual rugby game. So no point going on about it here.

As for the first round. I reckon Peyper is a good choice for Tahs vs Reds game. I sometimes think they get too obsessed with getting "home" refs to referee national derby's.
Problem is Australia dont have refs and a big concern for me. You only have the Kiwi chicken runner Walsch, there is something seriously wrong with the ARU in this regard.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm sure in a few years there will be more aussies on the panel, just be patient.

It's probably a good thing right now anyway. There are plenty of talented SA refs coming through the ranks that deserve/and need to ref super rugby games. This wont last forever, when Lawrence/Kaplan/Jonker retire it will leave a gap similar to what Australia has now. And by that time maybe we will have some refs coming through? Who knows.

Walsh isn't that bad, he did alright at the world cup. I'm happy for now that he is here, or as you say we would be struggling even more.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I'm sure in a few years there will be more aussies on the panel, just be patient.

It's probably a good thing right now anyway. There are plenty of talented SA refs coming through the ranks that deserve/and need to ref super rugby games. This wont last forever, when Lawrence/Kaplan/Jonker retire it will leave a gap similar to what Australia has now. And by that time maybe we will have some refs coming through? Who knows.

Walsh isn't that bad, he did alright at the world cup. I'm happy for now that he is here, or as you say we would be struggling even more.
I dont agree fully Broer. SA have an excellent ref structure going which will manufacture constant top refs. I am not an expert but understand SupeRugby refs have to do CC/ITM rugby before qualifying. Thats probably ARU biggest challenge because they have to send your refs at big cost to this competitions.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SA have announced their referee coaches for 2012

http://www.sareferees.co.za/news/ref_news/2844004.htm
Coaches for South African refs
Thu, 09 Feb 2012 12:39
SA Referees have announced the coaches for its panel of referees for 2012.
There are coaches for men and women and then also top referees for peer coaching.
Men's coaches: Philip du Toit, Marius Franken, Mark Lawrence, Neville Heilbron, Johan Meuwesen, Theuns Naudé, Andre Watson.
Women's coaches: Eugene Daniels, Eugene de Villiers, Banks Yantolo, Theuns Janse van Vuuren, Kim Smit.
Peer coaches: Marius Jonker, Craig Joubert, Jonathan Kaplan, Jaco Peyper, André Watson.
Coaches and the referees under their care:
Super Rugby group coaches
Mark Lawrence: Stuart Berry, Lourens van der Merwe, Jaco Peyper
André Watson: Marius Jonker, Craig Joubert, Jonathan Kaplan, Mark Lawrence
Theuns Naudé: Sindile Mayende
National group coaches
Philip du Toit: Ben Crouse, Gerrie De Bruin, Jaco Van Heerden
Neville Heilbron: François Groenewald, Quinton Immelman, Jason Jaftha
Marius Franken: Cwengile Jadezweni, Pieter Janse van Vuuren
Johann Meuwesen: Lusanda Jam, Dilbert November, Archie Sehlako
Theuns Naudé: Tiaan Jonker, Lesego Legoete, Mlungiseli Mdashe, Rasta Rashivenga, Joey Salmans
Mark Lawrence: Marius Van der Westhuizen

Contenders squad coaches
Mark Lawrence: Blake Beattie, Loyiso Bosman, Tony Correia, Ricus Van der Hoven
Johann Meuwesen: Rodney Bonaparte
Theuns Naudé: Pieter de Villiers Pieter, Eduan Nel
Neville Heilbron: Daniel Fortuin, Andrew Slater
Marius Franken: Hein Gericke, François Pretorius
Philip du Toit: Stephan Geldenhuys, Oregopotse Rametsi
Women's SARU coaches
Eugene Daniels: Eska Claasen, Eugenia Daniels-Africa, Melany Duthie
Theuns Janse van Vuuren: Renee Daniell, Madel De Villiers, Sanet Ludick
Eugene de Villiers: Roslyn Fortuin , Marlize Jordaan, Henchalla Oerson
Banks Yantolo: Sipokazi Njani
Kim Smit: Ilana Scholtz, Magda van der Heever
Peer coaches
Craig Joubert: Stuart Berry, Sindile Mayende, Jason Jaftha, Lusanda Jam, Rasta Rashivenga, Archie Sehlako, Marius van der Westhuizen
Mark Lawrence: Jaco Peyper
Marius Jonker: Ben Crouse, François Groenewald, Joey Salmans, Jaco van Heerden
Jonathan Kaplan: Quinton Immelman, Cwengile, Jadezweni, Lesego Legoete, Dilbert November
Jaco Peyper: Lourens van der Merwe
André Watson: Jaco Peyper

Pretty sure many on this Aussie board have some questions for Jonathan Kaplan, this is your oppertunity if you have balls.

http://www.sareferees.co.za/contact/questions.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.