• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
HJ,
I've got the NZ vs Fiji game (on the 27th) at St.Mary's, same venue they used last year. Do you have updated info?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
strokeside, good call. My last post was just a cut and paste from an earlier amendment from the Schools website after the Saffers confirmed that they were not coming.

Just checked the Aust Schools website calander
http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?type=calendarlist

Here is the latest:

23/9/2013
NSW Country Schools v Fiji Schools 2:30pm - The Armidale School

27/9/2013 (Friday Night)
New Zealand Schools v Fiji Schools 6:00pm - St Marys RL Stadium

1/10/2013 (Tuesday)
Australian Schools v Fiji Schools 2:30pm - Knox Grammar School
Australia A v New Zealand Schools 1:00pm - Knox Grammar School

5/10/2013 (Saturday)
Australia A v Fiji Schools 3:00pm - Knox Grammar School
Australian Schools v New Zealand Schools 5:00pm - Knox Grammar School

Anyone know if Foxtel are going to cover the Big Test vs NZ Schools, and/or the Tuesday games?

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
My understanding is that the local available boys meet tonight for 1st training session, more news re: injuries etc, probably later.

HJ, your investigative rugby-journalist skills are unparalleled, how about a NSW Country schools team list? I'm guessing a few TAS's boys, love to know how far and wide they will cast the net?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd imagine that the NSW Country Schools team will be very similar to the one that was in the June School Association Rep games, with modifications made for injuries and others that are unavailable.

The team in the programme back then was:

NSW Country Schools Team
Under 18's

1. Jayden DALEY Merewether HSl
2. Sam DICK Lindisfarne Grammar
3. Lachlan McCORMACK The Armidale School
4. Cody GRAHAM O'Connor Armidale
5. Jordon SHEATHER Macksville HS
6. Tommy GILBERT Dorrigo HS
7. Angus McDOUGALL Trinity College
8. Jackson GILBEY The Armidale School
9. Zach HYATT McAuley College
10. Will Frost The Armidale School
11. Matthew NOTT Narrabri HS
12. Jeb FREEMAN Bishop Druitt College
13. Sam HARRIS Newcastle Grammar
14. Jack ARTHUR Hunter Valley Grammar
15. Ben BUTLER Wyong Christian

16. Cameron McNAMARA LKS Grammar
17. Nathan PICKERING Nowra Anglican College
18. Sam ELLERTON Cainys College
19. Arek WERSTAK John Paul College
20. Jake HARRIS McAuley College
21. Ryan PRENTICE McAuley College
23.​

They may pick up some of the Country lads who were in the CHS, ISA, AICES and CCC Association teams.

They made a reasonable account of themselves during the rep season but may need some supplementation (or really cold and wet miserable weather) to account for the Fijians.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Possible "Supplementary" candidates for NSW Country Schools.

From CHS I
3 Phil BRADFORD Hunter SHS
4 Josh VAINIKOLO TLSC The Entrance CHS
6 Damien FLEMMING Brisbane Waters SC Woy Woy
12 Darcy COX Terrigal HS
13 Harry BROWN Alstonville HS
14 David JENKINS Farrer Memorial Ag HS
15 Dean WILSON Narrabri HS

From CHS II's
1. Peter IVIC Hunter SHS
4. William FINLAY Lisarow HS
5. Keiran BONIN Smiths Hill HS
6. Aaron CARRIGG TLSC The Entrance
7. Sam HEFRON Hunter SHS
8. Harry LIND Merewether HS
10. Josh COOK Liasrow HS
13. Jake O'BRIEN Kincumber HS
14. Jack FOURACRE Eaglevale HS
15. Riley MANWARING Murrumburrah HS
17. Brad KOVAC Muirfield HS
18. Blake WALSH Merewether HS
20. Lapana VITALE Brisbane Waters SC Woy Woy

From ISA 1s
4. John MELVILLE St Stanislaus'
7. Billy FREEMAN Kinross Woloroi

From ISA 2s

11. Marcus HUNDT Central Coast Grammar
13. Ned YEOMANS Kinross Woloroi
15. David GREEN St Gregorys
17. Conor DAVIDSON Chevalier College (Prop)
18. Patrick BYRNE Chavalier College (Prop)
19. Conor BURKE St Stanislaus' (#8)
22. Joseph CRAWFORD St Stanislaus'

From CCC
I don't know enough about which CCC school may be categorised as a Country School but there may be some in the list.

From AICES
(I might have guessed a couple of these wrong and incorrectly excluded a Country school or two)

9. Charlie FIELDER Hunter Valley GS
15. Tom SMART Scone GS

Injuries and HSC study withdrawals may impact on the eventual makeup of the NSW Country Schools teams.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
My understanding is that the local available boys meet tonight for 1st training session, more news re: injuries etc, probably later.

The nsw boys of the oz schools team and I believe also the As met up on Friday last week for information and physical assessment. Been told from here they have 2 weeks off then go into camp at Knox.

To answer an earlier question Joey Lussick has indeed withdrawn from the As to play Oz Schoolboy League

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Probably an understandable choice from Lussick, but opportunity is now knocking for another lad who will be as excited, as a cat let loose in the fish markets, at his chance in Australia Schoolboys A.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
The nsw boys of the oz schools team and I believe also the As met up on Friday last week for information and physical assessment. Been told from here they have 2 weeks off then go into camp at Knox.

To answer an earlier question Joey Lussick has indeed withdrawn from the As to play Oz Schoolboy League
That's Surprising as trying to make the team to Europe would be Jubilation and such a great Opportunity. As the NRL are behind a few of these players ( Contracts ) that are in the Australian Teams. I wonder if Pressure will be placed on Tepai and Milne to pull out at the end. Disappointing If it gets to that stage.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
That's Surprising as trying to make the team to Europe would be Jubilation and such a great Opportunity. As the NRL are behind a few of these players ( Contracts ) that are in the Australian Teams. I wonder if Pressure will be placed on Tepai and Milne to pull out at the end. Disappointing If it gets to that stage.

The choice for Joey was completely his. Two in the hand scenario. Guaranteed tour of New Zealand for league vs possible tour of Europe. Would no doubt been a tough call. I wouldn't imagine Tepai should have an issue toured last year. Taane I guess depends on Roosters although I'd assume it would be off season.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
News from the QLD GPS thread is that Adrian DELORE has a broken collarbone

On other news, Josh Bowen has been called up to the Australian A team. There must be an injury to a fullback/fly half?
Adrian Delore broke his collarbone last week. An Australia A 10/15 must have been called up, leaving a spot open for Bowen.

There may be another "adjustment" to the squads to cover Delore and Lussick departures if reports are correct.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Don't know why, but I had the impression starting squads had been finalised.

Off the top of my head, I thought Aus went like this -

1. ?
2. Alex Mafi
3. Matt Sandell
4. Lachie Connell
5. Lolo Jnr. Fakosilea
6. ?
7. Jack McCalman
8. Rahboni Warren-Fusayaco
9. Moses Sorovi
10. Andrew Deegan
11. Adrian Henley
12. Tepai Moeroa
13. Taane Milne
14. Harry Jones
15. Andrew Kellaway

16. Fereti Sa'aga
17. Vunipola Fifita
18. ?
19. ?
20. Brad Wilkin
21. ?
22. Mitch Third
23. Henry Hutchinson?

Can anybody fill in the blanks / tell me I'm imagining things

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Maybe you are thinking of a post of Taipan168 that I can't find now. It had a starting team and reserves, but maybe it was just his idea of it as I don't recall seeing it anywhere else. Usually they don't announce the starting team before they start their training.

The first thing I do on match day is to look at the programme to see who is starting, though sometimes the info is leaked out during training.

Maybe things have changed or my memory fails me, but if not: they would have picked a notional starting team and reserves that balanced the matchday squad.

But there is always a gap between the Oz Championships from which the teams are selected and the matches against the visiting teams; so there would be no profit in announcing early who is going to run on.

They may have noticed a drop-off in form (or vice-versa) in some players—and anyway wanted a bit of competition at training to keep the lads on their toes.

Injuries could require a recalibration within a 23 so that a lad who was notionally starting could be relegated to the bench because of combinations—though usually it would be the other way around.

Back in the day, they didn't pick two lots of 23; they used to pick a starting XV and a 23 for the A team. Then the best from the As' game against the visiting team would be on the bench for the main game a few days later.

It seemed to work—so long as they had time to print the programmes for the main game.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
The original list was in alphabetical order and I think that prompted people to think (for example) that Wilkin and Third would be on the bench, and McCalman and Deegan starting.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Not to your point: but having seen all four players at the Oz Champs, Oz Schools would be well served whichever two are chosen to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.