• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
RM - you have named 24 players (excluding Walker).

Sorovi is in the main team, as is Sa'aga (who was captain of Victoria, but not Oz A), so that makes 22, but you omitted Tufui (who is not injured) which adds up to 23.

It was very late LG..... ( After 9.00 )......And that's why I don't usually cross reference on an ipad,

blackheart

Peter Burge (5)
Talking to a Scots dad on the weekend (I'm not), we were rating Kellaway, and what a good year he is having, and the good form he will take into the schoolboys. This dad raised some questions over the size of the schoolboy pack this year, particularly the lack of tall timber, any comments from anyone close to the team?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Oz Schools is nearly always lacking tall timber, who are robust. Greg Peterson in 2009 and Rob Simmons before him were the last two good tall ones at the schools level (who weren't stringbeans, I mean) I can remember - though Tom Staniforth last year at 104kgs, and tall enough, played a heavy game.

Another Staniforth would be OK but we don't have them this year. Josh Anderson is big but doesn't have the quality of Staniforth - at least in my eyes.

The props will be big enough but outside of them the pack will lack power runners, and on the other side of the ledger - fellows who can make dominant tackles against the traffic runners of the other team.

In particular there seem to be too many flankers who have big engines and are skilful but may lack the hardness and bulk for tight work.

But that's in the perfect world: we shouldn't worry too much because we had runts two years ago at Knox and they put the Kiwis away.

Yeah, there is no doubt about Kellaway's form and let's hope that it continues at the Oz level later on - and the same goes for Harry Jones who was in dynamite form in the CAS comp.

I think we will be hearing a lot more about both those lads after they leave school.

blackheart

Peter Burge (5)
I remember reading an artical a couple of years ago, stating that the then Oz school 2nd rowers were taller than that years current Wallabies,(or was it Tah's?) I assume that those boys are still around.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
No way - two years ago the Oz Schools props were Browning and Wells who who were 193 cms and 195 cms respectively - and Wells was only 96kgs.

Deam Mumm was about the same height as Wells but he was a lot heavier.

You are probably thinking of the Hills Sports High scrum of 2010 which outweighed the Tahs scrum of that year by 30 kgs.

In that schools team they had Willie Skelton 142 kgs and David Lolohea who was 135 kgs. Willie played Super Rugby for the Tahs this year and David (with Willie) went on that 2-match tour of Argentina recently.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Steve Cummins was a length of a lad. Captain (IIRC) of the 2010 (or 2011) team I think. He was a Hills Sports lad.

Now at Eastwood but injured for most of the year. I was expecting to see him do well after School but his progress has been hampered by injury.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
just checked with my son, Petersen & Jones, one was at St.Pius?

OK so more than a couple of years ago - they were 2009.

Cummins was tall but he partnered Browning in 2010 and Browning was a short-arse; so to say that pair was taller than the Wallabies that year is a bit of a stretch. :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Cummins was from that "big" Hills Sports High Pack from 2010. As well as the long boy Cummins, they had Big Willie Skelton. Willie didn't make schoolboys, but both were reunited this year in the ARU Academy - Sydney Chapter to pl;ay in the Pacific Nations Cup but that is for another thread.

blackheart

Peter Burge (5)
Reported in today's paper, Dave Horwitz, to be signed with the Rebels for next year, after a stellar season with Randwick. Good to see this quality player get the reco he deserves after being snubed by the school selectors for the 2012 schools tour. Egg on face selectors!!

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Reported in today's paper, Dave Horwitz, to be signed with the Rebels for next year, after a stellar season with Randwick. Good to see this quality player get the reco he deserves after being snubed by the school selectors for the 2012 schools tour. Egg on face selectors!!
Great to hear !

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

Not really - given that they toured NZ and won.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
They chose to replace him for a different style of player,not necessarily a better player.
He is playing at the line,and testing the line a lot more this year than last,in my limited views of his games.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Not Long before the games start. Any Updates on Players or Changes ?

TUES 1 OCT
Australia A v New Zealand, Knox Grammar School
Australia v Fiji, Knox Grammar School

SAT 5 OCT
Australia A v Fiji, Knox Grammar School
Australia v New Zealand, Knox Grammar School

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We will have to have some spies in place at TAS for these as well:

MON 23 SEPT
Fiji v Country Schools, The Armidale School

FRI 27 SEPT
New Zealand v Fiji, The Armidale School

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Not Long before the games start. Any Updates on Players or Changes ?

TUES 1 OCT
Australia A v New Zealand, Knox Grammar School
Australia v Fiji, Knox Grammar School

SAT 5 OCT
Australia A v Fiji, Knox Grammar School
Australia v New Zealand, Knox Grammar School
Are there times available as yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.