• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He was so dominate at the recent Nationals, it still surprises me that he was not our No#1 fullback pick last year? or is it just my rosecolouredNSW glasses.
He was a standout.
No dount Lee Grant and/or Hugh Jarse will set me straight on this but i wonder if there isn't some consideration given to the fact that Kid A is in year 12 and wont be back and Kid B is in year 11 and more than likely will be.
I, somewhat surprisingly I feel, have no difficulty with this approach: it is such a great honour, you can only really do it at one time in your life and unlike everything else you cant go back for your hat.
On the other hand injuries etc could rob you the next year if you are that Kid B.
I'd be interest to know whether Lee thinks this is sometimes a factor: I have a felling he will say not and that they always try to pick their "best" 15/23.
Its just a hunch I have.

FlashFlanker

Herbert Moran (7)
He was so dominate at the recent Nationals, it still surprises me that he was not our No#1 fullback pick last year? or is it just my rosecolouredNSW glasses.

Maybe last year's fullback, Jonah Placid, was better. It seems the ARU likes him as they have selected him in the Australian U20 Rugby team in June having turned 18 only a month earlier. Having watched him I can understand why he is on contract with the Reds this year.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Maybe last year's fullback, Jonah Placid, was better. It seems the ARU likes him as they have selected him in the Australian U20 Rugby team in June having turned 18 only a month earlier. Having watched him I can understand why he is on contract with the Reds this year.
Looked good against NZ in schools.
Looked OK in U20s - but that team was lacking some structure (or something)

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'm bored, for want of a bit of discussion check out post #2145 in the Shute Shield 2013 thread over in Club rugby land!! a sign of things to come.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
No dount Lee Grant and/or Hugh Jarse will set me straight on this but i wonder if there isn't some consideration given to the fact that Kid A is in year 12 and wont be back and Kid B is in year 11 and more than likely will be.

I'd be interest to know whether Lee thinks this is sometimes a factor: I have a felling he will say not and that they always try to pick their "best" 15/23.
Its just a hunch I have.

They always try to pick their best.

When I get the impression that they have difficulty in choosing between two players and one was in Year 12 and the other Year 11 (and it can only be an impression) I reckon they go for the year 12 guy.

Some people may mention examples of when they have had the opposite impression and the younger guy has been chosen. I could mention a few myself, but in the main I think that the older guys are preferred when there is a tight call.

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
I dropped this question in the Sydney GPS thread following a fairly strong performance from Scots over New (4 Aus Schools v 8 Aus Schools Players), got me thinking. If we are likely to see a couple of injuries to players selected in the Aus and Aus A teams over the next 5 weeks of football, who are those players on fringe who might be looking at a call up.

Has anyone north of the border put their hand up, and anyone in particular in Sydney showing potential for a possible call up?

Would be interesting to see which players are making their mark, and who, that were picked, could be in danger of going backwards in terms of selection?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Buster

Not answering your question directly but talking about injury situations: until they start their training sessions together the guys from the Oz A team will move into the main team if there is an injury to a player in the main team.

This supposes that there is no reason to consider combinations and balance. If there is, players from outside the 46 could leapfrog the players in the Oz A team.

Once training starts they would be reluctant to change their two teams; so this is a case where an outside player could go straight into the main team at the last minute. Of course the rebuttal to that is that both teams should have the same content; so it shouldn't matter.

In practice you will find that most leapfrogging is done when a player who missed the Oz Champs because of injury is now fit. Tom Staniforth in 2012 is a good example.

As for players who are going backwards - they won't be dropped from the two Oz teams but they will be vulnerable to riding the pine and missing out on the EOYT. Having just seen two rounds of NSW GPS footie since the Oz Champs, it is probably too small a sample to nominate anybody. Ditto for Queensland.

Also, it is too early to make a call on who was overlooked from the Oz Champs, or who missed them because of injury, and is going gangbusters.

Maybe this matter should be addressed in another month or so.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
So Lee Grant does that mean that kids in their respective school comps can play their way into the EOYT?
Yes, but more so if they play in the GPS associations of NSW and Qld.

Selector Tim Rapp of Newington gets a good look at all the GPS players in Sydney and so do Stephen Phillpotts of BBC and Glen Cronan of Ippies, up north.

The legendary Pat Langtry knows the Marist and Eddies boys in the ACT like his own kids; so he would spot an improver every time.

Ben Whitaker and Manu Sutherland of the ARU probably watch non-GPS games in Qld and NSW, respectively, but that's only a guess as I can't recall seeing Manu at a Sydney GPS game. Hopefully these two guys are watching some Colts rugby also for Oz U/20 purposes.

But most of the new players brought in for injuries are not big improvers but top players who missed the Oz Champs but have proved their fitness since.

That's the situation for the tests in Australia.

But in a touring year the selectors re-select the team after Oz Schools and Oz A Schools have played a game against a visiting team, or in some years, two games. This year there will be two domestic games – against Fiji and NZ – last year there was one.

They always take 28 players on tours and this is where you get some new players who missed the Oz Champs leapfrog over other players, because they couldn't leapfrog before if there was no injury in their position.

Bolters could get a chance in this process too if the selectors were disappointed in how a particular unit of players (e.g. second row, midfield) performed in the two Oz teams in the domestic games.

Clear as mud? Probably.

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
Thanks for the feedback guys. Will be really interesting to see who puts in a solid knock between now and November. Would love to see a couple of dark horses in there!

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Does anyone know the team names for the NZ and Fiji Boys playing both Australia Teams and when will the playing team be announced ?
Heard that the NSW 1 Winger Taylor is now in the Australian Schoolboy Rugby League Team.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Does anyone know the team names for the NZ and Fiji Boys playing both Australia Teams and when will the playing team be announced ?
Heard that the NSW 1 Winger Taylor is now in the Australian Schoolboy Rugby League Team.

2013 AUSTRALIA SECONDARY SCHOOLS RUGBY LEAGUE
18 YEARS TEAM TO TOUR NEW ZEALAND (OCTOBER)
Coach: Peter Denham NSWCHS Orara High School
Manager: Kort Goodman QSSRL St Marys College Toowoomba
Trainer: Damon Rehbein QSSRLKirwan State High School
Physiotherapist: Ben Heidenreich
ASSRL Executive Officer – Grant Edwards Caringbah High School

STATE
NAME
SCHOOL
NSWCCC 1
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
Patrician Brothers College Blacktown
NSWCHS 5
Sione Mata’utia
Hunter Sports High School
NSWCHS 4
Euan Aitken
Illawarra Sports High School
Queensland 3
Marion Seve
Keebra Park State High School
NSWCHS 15
Nathan Davis
James Busby High School
Queensland 6
Jayden Nikorima
Wavell State High School
NSWCHS 7
Jackson Hastings
NSWCHS 14
Vincent Leuluai
Sarah Redfern High School
Queensland 9
Jenan Wedderburn-Parrish
Australian Industry Trade College
Queensland 8
George Fai
Marsden State High School
NSWCHS 12
Royce Hunt
Bass High School
NSWCCC 11
Tyrell Fuimaono
Patrician Brothers College Blacktown
NSWCCC 13
Cheyne Whitelaw
Marcellin College Randwick
NSWCIS 9
Joey Lussick
Newington College
NSWCHS 17
Thomas Freebairn
NSWCHS 10
Willis Meehan
Matraville Sports High School
Queensland 12
Lamar Manuel-Liolevave
Keebra Park State High School

This paste is from the ASSRL website. there is a Newington player in the squad but not the one most people thought.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
There has been an injury and he is in. Apparently his school is aware as well. Should have been in the first place !

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Compare this list and an Australian Schoolboys rugby union team and you can see the problem we face here in the Illawarra, and Australian rugby faces.

You can see why the boys in the Illawarra will conclude that they'll get much fairer treatment in League and, unless they get a scholarship, they've got less chance in Union.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Compare this list and an Australian Schoolboys rugby union team and you can see the problem we face here in the Illawarra, and Australian rugby faces.

You can see why the boys in the Illawarra will conclude that they'll get much fairer treatment in League and, unless they get a scholarship, they've got less chance in Union.

Scholarships are not the answer.
Building an understandable and recognisable pathways from u5's to grade, without detours that lead nowhere are the answer.
Money needs to be spent by the ARU to keep the base of the pyramid as large as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.