• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 RWC sevens (final before olympics) awarded to russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The final probably had 15k and it was pouring rain but the IRB would have to be embarrassed.

About 12 months ago the posters on the FIRA website were claiming this would be a disaster. The stadium was always going to be too large. There were visa issues for travelling fans and the big one was hosting it at the same time as the Lions tour. All the moneyed up rugby fans were on the other side of the world.

Someone needs to cop it for this. Surely they could have rounded up people and let them in. Lets hope the IRB learn how not to host a tournament and put plans in place to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder how much Russia paid to host it?

Maybe there's an element of cashing in on an event that isn't that high up on the list for the IRB, particularly during a Lions Tour.

Smells a bit like Russia or Qatar for the FIFA World Cup except for thankfully a much less important event.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We haven't done much better with the Gold Coast Sevens for the last two years.

Plenty of other venues on the HSCB sevens tour were lacking in punters in the grandstands.

Dear IRB,

It is an now an Olympic sport FFS. Make it look like it is popular to the non-believers so they will want to come. It is not hard

The next three years will be critical for the future of 7's rugby.

Do not shag this up like your judicial processes.

Yours Hugh

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
I just got back -took rec-time after the RWC7s. I can tell you first hand this was a major mistake by the IRB to choose Moscow. Good intentions to grow the game, but they should start with an IRB Series stop, not the RWC7s!

Word is (from a good source) that Putin met with Mike Miller of the IRB, wined him, dined him, and the deal was done as part of Russia's strategy to host as many sporting events as possible in the lead to host the Summer Olympic Games again. Less about rugby and more about proving they can host large events. FAIL!

The crowd sucked.
The atmosphere sucked.
The stadium, despite its nostalgia, sucked. Old, dirty, run-down.
The finals sucked: The rain was NOT that bad, and the heavy part only lasted 10 minutes. The lack of field drainage (grass laid on top of field-turf/all-weather track material) created a lake in the stadium. A game for speed and agility lost its luster. Kenya was robbed by the lake, they should have toasted England, but England knew how to play underwater.

Let's just say I was mildy unhappy about travelling there.

There were actually more British/Euros in the stands than I expected. But most only came for part of the first day, then never came back.

Here's why:
1. Greenhouse effect with glass panes in roof and no tunnels for wind or ventilation. It was close to 40 inside the stadium.
2. No beer except in VIP. Its illegal in Russia to sell alcohol at sporting events. Unless you are upper class citizens in the VIP area. Sevens is a party, afterall.
3. First row of fan seats at least 25 to 30 meters from sideline- so far from the action in that huge stadium.
4. No potable water fountains and $4 for 500ml of water. In the heat and sun for all day.
5. No English speaking ticket vendors or ushers for a sport dominated by English speaking nations. none, anywhere.

6. No toilet paper in the bathrooms. Its an all day event!
7. No real atmosphere outside the stadium. Limited booths, food choices, and lame entertainment. Nearest bar was 900 meters away, and very small. The merch tent was 5mx5m and only sold Russia Rugby jerseys.
8. Super uncomfortable hard plastic oddly shaped (short leg and back support) seats.

Christopher McDonald

Peter Burge (5)
I just got back -took rec-time after the RWC7s. I can tell you first hand this was a major mistake by the IRB to choose Moscow. Good intentions to grow the game, but they should start with an IRB Series stop, not the RWC7s!

Word is (from a good source) that Putin met with Mike Miller of the IRB, wined him, dined him, and the deal was done as part of Russia's strategy to host as many sporting events as possible in the lead to host the Summer Olympic Games again. Less about rugby and more about proving they can host large events. FAIL!

The crowd sucked.
The atmosphere sucked.
The stadium, despite its nostalgia, sucked. Old, dirty, run-down.
The finals sucked: The rain was NOT that bad, and the heavy part only lasted 10 minutes. The lack of field drainage (grass laid on top of field-turf/all-weather track material) created a lake in the stadium. A game for speed and agility lost its luster. Kenya was robbed by the lake, they should have toasted England, but England knew how to play underwater.

Let's just say I was mildy unhappy about travelling there.

There were actually more British/Euros in the stands than I expected. But most only came for part of the first day, then never came back.

Here's why:
1. Greenhouse effect with glass panes in roof and no tunnels for wind or ventilation. It was close to 40 inside the stadium.
2. No beer except in VIP. Its illegal in Russia to sell alcohol at sporting events. Unless you are upper class citizens in the VIP area. Sevens is a party, afterall.
3. First row of fan seats at least 25 to 30 meters from sideline- so far from the action in that huge stadium.
4. No potable water fountains and $4 for 500ml of water. In the heat and sun for all day.
5. No English speaking ticket vendors or ushers for a sport dominated by English speaking nations. none, anywhere.

6. No toilet paper in the bathrooms. Its an all day event!
7. No real atmosphere outside the stadium. Limited booths, food choices, and lame entertainment. Nearest bar was 900 meters away, and very small. The merch tent was 5mx5m and only sold Russia Rugby jerseys.
8. Super uncomfortable hard plastic oddly shaped (short leg and back support) seats.

Thanks for sharing all that information! Very interesting!

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Glad I didn't get to go after all! Was seriously thinking of going but passport with immigration authorities put paid to such (silly) thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.