• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 S15 Australian Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Guys not sure if there is already a thread of this nature. If no, I'd like to see a thread dedicated specifically to the Australian conference.

At this time of the year it would be interesting to read people's views/predictions as to how the Aussie conference will play out and who will take out top spot.

One point of interest for me this year (that I would like to see discussed though-out the season) is the style/quality of the Australian derbies and the competitiveness of our squads in general. This was a topic of much discussion during the previous season. The horribly negative, conservative rugby that we witnessed from the Aussie derbies last year was an embarrassment to our provincial teams. What's more, it really set the tone for an awful test season. I found myself looking forward to the NZ derbies and switching off the Aussie Derbies. This is alarming. The current Super format is aimed to increase interest among aussie fans but the increase in Australian derbies will do the opposite if the quality does not improve. In my view this is something that the ARU, and the respective teams, must address before the 2013 season kicks off. Just how you deal with this issue I don't know. Is it a case of having all teams (and/or coaching staff) sit down for a pow wow prior to the start of the season to make a gentlemens' agreement. Would such an agreement ever be considered, given that teams will want to employ tactics to win rather than entertain. I'd like to hear people's thoughts.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
The current Super format is aimed to increase interest among aussie fans but the increase in Australian derbies will do the opposite if the quality does not improve. In my view this is something that the ARU, and the respective teams, must address before the 2013 season kicks off.

Frankly theres one to many aussie teams at present. Three aussie sides help fill out the bottom 5 in the entire competition. Contract one of the aussie teams, say the force, get that pool of players spread over the other four teams and there would be a distinct improvement across the board. If the quality was better more people would be turning up at the SFS for starters.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The Force are starting to play some decent rugby. The Rebels on the other hand seem to be getting worse as the season wears on.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Force are starting to play some decent rugby. The Rebels on the other hand seem to be getting worse as the season wears on.

Yeah, if any team were to be disbanded for the good of the game then it would be the Rebels at the moment. I don't know. I think the overall style and competitiveness of the Aus conference in general is significantly higher this year. There's more endeavour present. I think the Force could knock off a few teams that wouldn't expect it and the Tahs are beginning to improve so shouldn't stay where they are currently positioned for too long. Overall this years Super Rugby competition is very even if you ask me. Apart from the Rebels this weekend who lack fitness and direction, most games have been tight with often very little between teams.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
agree. this weekend is the anomaly this far for the rebels.
we have been very competitive in other games. but this was a shocker.
force looking strong.
amazing back row depth. really like sias, godwin, tuopuo and mafi...and we haven't really seen cummins yet!
they will get a few wins.
the conference is improving each year.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes overall I'm pretty happy with the standard of the oz conference so far. the Brumbies are probably on par with the Stormers/Chiefs/Saders at the top, the Reds look to be building nicely, the Force are looking pretty competitive this year and the tahs look at least better than last year.

Given that we don't have the depth of NZ and SA, we will always struggle to put out 5 competitive teams.

The teams this year are doing okay especially given that 4 of our 5 teams have a new coaching setup. The Brumbies this year are a good example of a team benefiting from a second year under an established coach; they've won a few games this year that they would have lost last year (i.e. the Sharks game). This difference in team development was clearly evident in the Tahs/Brumbies game.

Not sure what's going on with the Rebels. It's hard to argue they dont lack depth but there is certainly enough talent there to work with. From a lay man's point of view, I'd have to question whether the coach/coaching staff are up to scratch...things like lack of fitness, lack of structure, etc are indicative of coaching failures.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Three New Zealand, Two Australian and One South African team in the top 6. South Africa is clearly the weakest conference :p

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies and Reds have 1 match on everyone. But seriously, thought I'd do a power ranking about now:

1. Brumbies
2. Chiefs
3. Stormers
4. Sharks
5. Reds
6. Hurricanes
7. Crusaders
8. Cheetahs
9. Bulls
10. Waratahs
11. Blues
12. Highlanders
13. Force
14. Rebels
15. Kings

Probably wondering why Highlanders are 12th being 0/5 but they've faced much harder opposition than those below and been close.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Cheetahs should be ahead of Sharks and Stormers Qwerty just on the fact they have already toured and were successful to say the least.

Blues to be higher than Tahs and Bulls also. Same reason as you put the Clan at 12.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think after thie weekends games (Yet to see Saders) the Ponies may be one slot too high. They looked a little vulnerable tonight, but it may be travel related tiredness. Without George Smith they would be in a power of poop, Reds and Hurricanes may be a slot too high. Kings may not end up with the wooden spoon.

Ponies, Chiefs, and Shorks should win their conferences, by a fair margin.

2 and 3 in the conferences are tight and injuries and luck will make a difference towards the pointy end of the season.
Reds and Tahs; Cheeters, Stormers and Bulls; Saders, Blues, Canes, The Clan.

Rebels, Force and Kings are off the pace and could be in serious competition for the spoon.

T

TOCC

How good is the Australian v New Zealand teams record looking this season.... Imagine that early will get diluted when the Force and Rebels play more kiwi teams though.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
How good is the Australian v New Zealand teams record looking this season.. Imagine that early will get diluted when the Force and Rebels play more kiwi teams though.
I'd say ignore them... but the Force and Rebels are our best teams against the Crusaders :p

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Even better now. 6-1 it is mostly due to the Reds.

Tahs host Chiefs and Canes host Force next week. Hopefully can keep it to 7-2.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
aus-s15.png

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Never thought I'd say this but the Aussie conference is looking probably the strongest at this point in the comp. After watching the Brumbies v Reds game tonight its clear that both teams are serious title contenders.

Still a long way to go, but its very positive for Aus rugby atm.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think the SA conference while not having many title contenders, is incredibly even and that's a big credit to them for spreading the talent. Very hard to split Stormers, Sharks, Bulls and Cheetahs. Kings have impressed everyone immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.