• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
I think that over the last few years some of the less talented states "traditionally" are getting better development pathways and coaches. Its only natural that you will start to see a lot more WA, VIC & ACT sides getting players into the OZ schools sides. All the boys I am aware of that have made higher honours over the last 4 years from ACT, are either playing first grade rugby either JID or SS, U20's OZ, OZ 7's & Super 15 etc. So anyone who thinks some of the boys from these other states are somehow less deserving in some way, or that they don't stay in the game are wrong. Just because certain teams didn't perform as good as others, selectors always look at individual performances (on & off the ball). Work rate etc.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think that over the last few years some of the less talented states "traditionally" are getting better development pathways and coaches. Its only natural that you will start to see a lot more WA, VIC & ACT sides getting players into the OZ schools sides. All the boys I am aware of that have made higher honours over the last 4 years from ACT, are either playing first grade rugby either JID or SS, U20's OZ, OZ 7's & Super 15 etc. So anyone who thinks some of the boys from these other states are somehow less deserving in some way, or that they don't stay in the game are wrong. Just because certain teams didn't perform as good as others, selectors always look at individual performances (on & off the ball). Work rate etc.

I've responded to this over in the selection bias politics thread

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How long have you been reading his mind? You should put your hand up to coach . Are the ARU getting it wrong by re appointing him? Seems everyone is wrong but you .
I made no criticism of him at all.
He appears to have picked similar styles of teams in the past 2 years.
My impression is that this years side has a different balance, than the previous 2 years.
I didn't even make a comment criticising any of the selections.
Not sure how I have upset you.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/
team list.jpg

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Reminds me of the final in the Under 16's in 2012 where NSW gave QLD a 30 point head start, and then they decided to play in the second half. Unfortunately the good guys left their run too late in 2012, and the same today with NSW II. Brad Gill was head coach then. Perhaps his specialty is half time talks.

NSW II looked shell shocked in the first half with the backs letting their opponents simply run around and through them as the ball was spun wide and fast. McGregor seemed to be carrying an injury from Thursday which wouldn't have helped the NSW II backline. O'Shea directed traffic well for the I's.
McGregor had a bruised hip suffered early into Mondays game when he came off. He didn't play again until Thursday v qld 1. That same injury obviously caused him some real pain in Saturdays game, but especially given that I still thought he played very well. Biggest problem for nsw2 on Saturday was losing Kennewell with a head knock early in the game. NSW 1 put at least 3 tries on in the first half through that right side defense when he was no longer on the field. When you look at the back 3 for nsw1, they were always going to cause some trouble out there particularly without Kennewell.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Hi Brian

1&2. I'm pushed really hard to think of an occasion in the last 25 years where this hasn't happened. If I was coach and had a kid who'd been there, done that I'd be inclined towards him. Yes there was an element of the facetious here but I felt the comment was timely given there will be a frenzy about selections in the next 24 hours - I'm merely reminding people previous selections will be getting the call again and to scheme/tip the remaining positions with this in mind.

3. The Wallaby connection comment stands - watch it tomorrow these two will make the teams. I'm sure the kids can play - my question is - would they be looked at as much if their surname was different? Facetious - maybe but I understood this to be a forum where opinions could be expressed even if they challenge sacred cows.

4 &5. hey Brian - you go back through the teams, pal, - all the way back. You'll see the rough figures add up to 2 x as many boys from NSW/ACT as from Qld. Maybe go back to the 1969 tour to RSA where I think Qld got two boys in the whole party. Go back to when Q2 won for the first time in '06 - beating NSW1 and NSW2 and still got trumped at the selection table. Add those numbers up and see whose argument is "sadly lacking". I'm not saying this just to be smart - there are facts behind things I say and it irritates me to think my opinions could just be emotively dismissed by one who has not checked things like I have.

6. Wow - struck a nerve there! He doth protest too much. Look at the fact I raised and either refute it with your own facts or let it sit and put your bro-mance to one side. Cronan has NOT coached a schools 1st XV and has NOT coached at state level and yet is afforded a role as an ARFSU selector. I did not question his service to Australian schools rugby. Sorry that it spoils the framing of your response to this comment but my sons are interested in different sports, they have not missed a rugby selection so I have no personal axe to grind with the guy. I would rather see players take advice from an experienced coach.

7. So finally we are agreed and, yes, I am moving on.
Sambo and Helmets boy's ?
Fact checks and errant dismissals?
And if you knew me, you would know absolutely I have had run ins with Mr Cronan from Nudgee days as well. to suggest a bromance( which I noticed editted, in good taste). But does a selector have to be a coach? If so Manu, off you go mate... your services are no longer needed.
And yes, its time to move on, because nothing you OR I say here matters a rats arse about what will change for you

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
there were more than 2 involved - unless this is an obscure mexican dialect.
Besides which Monday's Expert had some good points (I know nothing of the bloke he had a swing at) which I felt deserved investigation to see what hard figures said about a potential bias to NSW in selections over 40+ years.
You're not a mod. If you think its off topic report it.
Damn... Did I miss something? :)

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Looking at the numbers, with only one full back nominated, I think he is one of those three that they are waiting on for confirmation.

James Kane (Kings) used to be a useful #15 but is injured IIRC. Perhaps they want to see if Kane gets fit again, and if so, how he goes in comparison to Porter. If Kane rises to the occasion, then perhaps he may be the second #15, and if he doesn't then Porter gets the nod.

Are there any other quality #15's around in QLD or NSW Schools rugby injured ATM?
Not really.
Not with the requirements that the coaches want at this moment in time

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
hesitate though I do to raise anything said by my wife in any context she has one phrase which, to my mind, sums up the way adults should deal with the emotions of their children at this time of year:
will anyone really care in a year?
If you think that the tears will still be scalding over non-selection in a year then i suggest you will have wasted that year.
Make the non-selection count by working on the reasons, perceived or real, for it and you may have the most profitable year.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
I have been going to this event for many years, and there is always conjecture over selections. The simple fact is, that in some cases, the players are pre-selected, and the tournament is about filling holes. It will not change. I agree the nsw 15 was outstanding, my player of the finals anyway. The players selected should be congratulated, but you must feel for some who played out of their skins, with little reward.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
I have been going to this event for many years, and there is always conjecture over selections. The simple fact is, that in some cases, the players are pre-selected, and the tournament is about filling holes. It will not change. I agree the nsw 15 was outstanding, my player of the finals anyway. The players selected should be congratulated, but you must feel for some who played out of their skins, with little reward.
I do feel for them but what puts it into perspective for me is that through the whole process there are boys who "should have made it" but didn't at every stage. Therefore there are boys out their who trialled for CHS(as an example) at the regionals and missed out and all the good judges say they were hard done by. So these boys who missed out last weekend are in the same boat as many many others, they just have to deal with it a few week later. The disappointing thing for me is those boys who missed out further back maybe lost to rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I do feel for them but what puts it into perspective for me is that through the whole process there are boys who "should have made it" but didn't at every stage. Therefore there are boys out their who trialled for CHS(as an example) at the regionals and missed out and all the good judges say they were hard done by. So these boys who missed out last weekend are in the same boat as many many others, they just have to deal with it a few week later. The disappointing thing for me is those boys who missed out further back maybe lost to rugby.

But you can't do anything about that.
Its a human process in every facet.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
But you can't do anything about that.
Its a human process in every facet.
There is only room for twelve eggs in a standard carton, once full if you like a new one better you have to remove one already in its place. you should always check before you pay for the carton as you might need to replace a broken egg

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
There is only room for twelve eggs in a standard carton, once full if you like a new one better you have to remove one already in its place. you should always check before you pay for the carton as you might need to replace a broken egg

Are you intimating that the selection process could be scrambled?

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
A sense of entitlement maybe?

I am sorry, but this statement leaves me wondering

I agree, all a kid can do is give his best and realise sometimes someone may just have been a little better. Even if they made the side or not, if they want to succeed they should always be looking what can they do better not why is life unfair or not

BIg Jake

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yes I saw every game from the CAS and CHS vs GPS to every match in the finals from early morning and believe I have a good eye .There were definitely some guys in the beaten lower tier teams who with their big hits and moves making meters had me reaching for programs to see who they were and in many cases they got picked in the Nationals.I think there were some odd selections like no recognised playing no 7 or really no 6 picked and the weird thing that has happened over the choice of 2nd rowers and even back rows-they appear to be in the minds of the selectors capable of interchange!.However there is amonst the boys not chosen some guys whose form as shown over the years and even this year outside the championship rounds is superior to those chosen and can cover 6,7,or 8 who were not selected either because their form was down over the two weeks or maybe the selectors have a particular physical specimen in mind-there is a few in the nationals selections who will have rings run around them as their school season continues-unfortunately it is too late for all that.Onwards and Upwards.

Can some one explain to me what "Pathways" means?Is that something that any national level player or even non national player can participate in-I am thinking of the future for those guys who are determined to make a big success of their rugby after School-what on earth do they do.Is that mapped out anywhere by the ARU?I mean I am guessing that they pick a club and play their hearts out-is it as simple as that.I don't think so?OR if it is it shouldn't be?Does someone have some guidance here?Which are the best clubs with the best coaches in Grade and in Colts-who is not going broke,who has good support like physios and speed ,fitness and strength training professionals?What advice can we give our sons?

Status
Not open for further replies.