• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 Hockey World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
4 Days to go.
5368da3336ebd_2014-05-06.jpg

5368d9f6d784e_2014-05-06.jpg

Official Site: http://www.rabobankhockeyworldcup2014.com/
Teams: http://res.cloudinary.com/infostrad..._2014_production/5368d9f6d784e_2014-05-06.jpg
Where to watch live hockey on TV
WCTV_zpsc862a7f9.jpg

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
The men's final has been a cracker so far.
Kookaburras up 2-1 over the Dutch at the beginning of the second half.

Wait... Turner cleaned up some scraps in front of the goal and slotted it in.

3 - 1

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
4 - 1 now. Geez Chris Cirello needs a new Twitter handle. Why would you chose @TheBigDog_5?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Your men hockey team were awesome, great to watch them bashing the Dutch.

I am hoping the SA teams can play this quality of hockey and want to know more about your structures and competitions from prymary to top level?

IN SA astros are the biggest problem which we are currently work hard to get right. Then Indoors play a massive role in prymary school kids. Its learn them stickwork and vision being so quick and the ball cant lift, exc.

What do Australia do right in hockey where we do wrong?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Your men hockey team were awesome, great to watch them bashing the Dutch.

<snip>

The Boer are of Dutch ancestry, yet the Saffers enjoy seeing them get beaten. Curious.

Is this similar to us and the English?

Nothing better for the exports of the "motherland" than to see the "motherland" get done, with special significance when it is us that is bashing the motherland.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Boer are of Dutch ancestry, yet the Saffers enjoy seeing them get beaten. Curious.

Is this similar to us and the English?

Nothing better for the exports of the "motherland" than to see the "motherland" get done, with special significance when it is us that is bashing the motherland.
No not at all. We love the "Hup Holland Hup" but when you get beaten like that in a final, you just have to give credit where its due. My laaities dream is to play in Holland one day but Cirello and Dwyer is two of his heroes. He is an ambassador for Princess and they bring out yearly some Dutch greats like Mink van Weerde to SA clinics.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
What do Australia do right in hockey where we do wrong?

Ric Charlesworth, our men's coach, is a key reason. He is in a class by himself, previously guiding our women and now our men. In both cases he has taken them to be stand out best in the world.

why does aus do well at hockey more generally, I dunno? It's not player numbers, which are low. My two eldest girls starting playing jockey this year - there are 4 teams in our part of Sydney. By comparison, there are 26 junior soccer clubs, 14 rugby league clubs and 6 rugby union clubs in the same area.

But then I wonder if the smallness of hockey helps. They roped me into coaching this year, and rather than coaching a team I coach a skill. So I teach teams from all four clubs the same skill. Other parents do the same with other skills and the kids rotate through us at the training. It works for me as I really don't know much about hockey but I can learn one thing that I teach to about 40 kids over the course of the session.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ric Charlesworth, our men's coach, is a key reason. He is in a class by himself, previously guiding our women and now our men. In both cases he has taken them to be stand out best in the world.

why does aus do well at hockey more generally, I dunno? It's not player numbers, which are low. My two eldest girls starting playing jockey this year - there are 4 teams in our part of Sydney. By comparison, there are 26 junior soccer clubs, 14 rugby league clubs and 6 rugby union clubs in the same area.

But then I wonder if the smallness of hockey helps. They roped me into coaching this year, and rather than coaching a team I coach a skill. So I teach teams from all four clubs the same skill. Other parents do the same with other skills and the kids rotate through us at the training. It works for me as I really don't know much about hockey but I can learn one thing that I teach to about 40 kids over the course of the session.
Hockey is massive in wa (home of the national squads. There are hundreds of teams all ages and it's huge in the country towns both turf and grass.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

Sound great. ja most sport have it core basic skills like head down when swing/kick/bat/exct.

Myself never played hockey aswell but I watch my older sons and realise the importance of stopping and passing for example. Same with rugby or soccer, first have to control the receiving possesion before distributing which in itself is important and the same basic rule for rugby/soccer/hockey. One step more for an inside back keeping possesion is 10 steps for the outside player. In hockey passing is very important, like we use to say in rugby, let the bal do work.

So I took my younger son and teach him all this skills in the backyard (thats where heroes are born) in all different sports and he sure as hell get the rewards now that he is older.

The funny thing is that schoolboy kids parents think two practises is enough.

Practise make perfect and my kid starts when the other finish. Thats the important stuff parents teach their kids.

But surely Aus must have the right youth structures in place to be that strong, cant be one coach alone.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agree with Gaffa, hockey is a serious sport here in WA, especially for girls/women. I have four clubs within a five minute drive of my house.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Agree with Gaffa, hockey is a serious sport here in WA, especially for girls/women. I have four clubs within a five minute drive of my house.
Absolutely my partner grew up down South playing on grass and now plays turf. There are at least 10 women's leagues all with about 10 teams in them just in the city so your looking at over 100 competitive teams and that's just women's turf.

Status
Not open for further replies.