• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LBA

Kincoppal Rose Bay and Kabala DO NOT not offer Rowing as a summer sport.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
SIRC is located 48.6k from Loreto Normanhurst according to Google maps. I would think they are by far the furthest from their shed. Obviously it does not hold them back.

Normo parents certainly do turn out in force and in club colours. Pymble probably equally well branded. Kirribilli not so much though the mothers are recognisable anyway in their unofficial uniform of skinny jeans. ballet flats, layered singlets and fedoras. Not to mention the weigh-in beforehand.

From experience with teens and young people over many years, coaching a variety of activities (not rowing) I would venture to say that boys are far more resilient than their parents. If a rower is shattered by his demotion it's usually because they dread breaking the news to Dad; or because the psychology of promotions and demotions has not been managed well by the shed. In other words, if they are repeatedly told since Year 7 that anything less than First VIII, First XV or ATAR of 99 is a "failure" AND if wrath in response to said "failure" has been enacted by every adult in their orbit including coaches and parents, then yes, you will find you are dealing with boys who don't have any strategies for dealing with relegation.

After some spirited discussion of GPS sculling trials on this forum, I've heard nothing since. Anyone got any info? And yes, the concept of a combined GPS crew rowing at State is a novelty but an exciting one.

Looking forward to hot racing at SIRC this weekend; and after watching the top eights I will be ready with a HOTR prediction.

Reactions: LBA

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Inside Shoulder, type in Kambala on ROMS they come up as a school, total members 0, no race history found, not sure what the point of this topic is really..

Y'know, despite the fact that all GAGR forum contributors must have worked out where the on-off switch is on their computers, the skill set is pretty limited if you could not work out Kambala's rowing situation in about 15 seconds, as I just did.

In 2011 they had a couple of talented girls who competed in singles and doubles. Three more mouse clicks brings the clarification that one rowed out of Mosman club. Much the same as Tom Schramko rowing for Marist Noeth Shore at some regattas. I know they did a reno at that school but I doubt that it included a boatshed.

Kambala does not have a rowing program, but they have had rowers represent the school. Now, have you checked that it's plugged in?

L

LBA

Are you going to ask Lindommer and Inside Shoulder about their comments regarding distance to sheds and Kincoppal and Kambala schools ? And the lack of relevance to this thread as well ??

I believe that Behind the Shed was responding to questions / posts that yes were probably unrelated to GPS Rowing 2015 but were asked on this thread.

I think we all have a genuine interest in rowing - some more to GPS Rowing and others to just rowing.

Nobody has given any insight into why Shore 1st VIII did not race the 2nd race last Saturday.

Nobody has commented really on the 2nd VIII crews nobody has posted anything of real interest. If there is going to be more testing in the sheds and more changes? Does anybody have any thoughts on keeping the crews the same and getting them to bond and go faster or do you all think just keep playing musical chairs ?? I hope the responses if any would be considered relevant !!

So really the thread is not cooking with gas at the moment as MR had requested in his very first post.

L

LBA

I do think out of kindness - Behindtheshed was just answering questions.

Now for my question - do the coaches that are ex Olympic rowers actually complete the coaching Levels or are they just given a free pass to coach?

James Chapman was said to be coaching Newington early in the forum but nobody has commented on him hanging around the shed and if he has his presence has not produced any boat speed. Did he get bored ??? Or did something better come along with a bigger pay cheque?

Another NZ rower was spotted at SIRC with a Joeys crew was that a one of - I have my sources even though I am far away.

L

LBA

It is only twenty four days away from this big race that is less than six minutes long - are you all going ??

Is it a formal occasion - shirt and tie or it is like going to the Rugby - you were supporters merchandise. All the schools take all their students. Lots of white noise then for the rowers coming down the course !!

State Champs this week - huge three days of rowing it should be good. Looking forward to it. The boat park will be full of life. All very exciting.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Relevance to this thread: GPS Rowing 2015?

Thanks Armstrong for the best laugh I've had all week.

I am keenly awaiting an outline of the parameters for Relevance on a rowing gossip forum cunningly buried in a rugby website.

Then perhaps the Armstrong Relevance Test can be applied to all posts.

Let's start by applying it this weekend: State champs are not a GPS competition, so I guess we shouldn't comment on it......oh and there are women's races too!!! EW!!! Girls' germs!!! Definitely not relevant to GPS rowing.

Is that how it works?

Please enlighten.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'm one of the old lags on G&GR (about 10th, without checking) and here I'm going to pull rank. EVERYONE who wishes to positively contribute to discussions on this site's welcome. In this instance the thread should've been named "Schools Rowing 2015", or even "Junior Rowing 2015", and I think it's been agreed a different name's going to be used next year. If it isn't I'll make sure it is. The fact it's been called "GPS Rowing 2015" is somewhat of a shame as it's blatantly sexist while it ignores girls rowing in Sydney as well as non-GPS boys schools who row. This junior elitism in sport's a brake on our participation and performances at senior levels in sports like rowing and rugby; people like us really should make our voices heard to change this detrimental situation. Now before I get howled down by GPS rowing parents/supporters here I'm going to declare I'm an Old Boy of a GPS school (not hard to find out, check my posts) and a former parent. On top of that my sister, and many of my cousins, attended one of the girls schools we're rabbitting on about ATM. For the sake of peace, sanity, equity and commonsense can we agree to discuss non-GPS rowing matters in this thread for the next coupla months until the rowing season's over? New, wider inclusive title next year.

bts, thanks for those few lines, I thought I'd seen both KRB and Kambala in rowing results somewhere. I also recall some obscure schools (eg, Marist North Shore) appearing in the schoolboys' sculling results, others in the schoolgirls'; one can only presume it's a student who rows out of a club shed.

Years ago my son was playing cricket for his junior school against another, the scorer for other boys school was also a Wenona parent. She told me about Wenona's rowing experience when I mentioned my admiration for Sydney girls schools who row without sheds. She added the girls loved it, but the problems finding a suitable shed proved to be too difficult for some of the school's hierarchy and Wenona no longer row. A shame.

L

LBA

I applaud your response Lindommer.

It is like the CHS - Combined High Schools Regatta coming up in March at Taree - the boys and girls who row for clubs but not attend GPS schools have a great time. Last year it was a lot of fun - GPS Rowing as mentioned several times before is a small part of the rowing world.

It is like a boy who attends a GPS school being a National water skier - the school releases him to compete. What GPS school has a water skiing department.

Common sense has to prevail.

I say again rowing is a life long sport - it should be actively encouraged and supported. It is an expensive sport for a school to take on and I agree it is a shame that Wenona has no longer got a rowing program.

A boy from Penrith who is a very successful young rower - he rows for SRC now - his school supported him rowing and he had to design a zootie so he could race at the CHS.

24 days it will all be over for this season - and nobody ever really locked the GPS season dates in - it is a summer sport.

Perhaps we should all join in and sing row row row your boat - thank goodness we are not in an VIII trying to get run on a boat.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm one of the old lags on G&GR (about 10th, without checking) and here I'm going to pull rank. EVERYONE who wishes to positively contribute to discussions on this site's welcome. In this instance the thread should've been named "Schools Rowing 2015", or even "Junior Rowing 2015", and I think it's been agreed a different name's going to be used next year. If it isn't I'll make sure it is. The fact it's been called "GPS Rowing 2015" is somewhat of a shame as it's blatantly sexist while it ignores girls rowing in Sydney as well as non-GPS boys schools who row. This junior elitism in sport's a brake on our participation and performances at senior levels in sports like rowing and rugby; people like us really should make our voices heard to change this detrimental situation. Now before I get howled down by GPS rowing parents/supporters here I'm going to declare I'm an Old Boy of a GPS school (not hard to find out, check my posts) and a former parent. On top of that my sister, and many of my cousins, attended one of the girls schools we're rabbitting on about ATM. For the sake of peace, sanity, equity and commonsense can we agree to discuss non-GPS rowing matters in this thread for the next coupla months until the rowing season's over? New, wider inclusive title next year.

bts, thanks for those few lines, I thought I'd seen both KRB and Kambala in rowing results somewhere. I also recall some obscure schools (eg, Marist North Shore) appearing in the schoolboys' sculling results, others in the schoolgirls'; one can only presume it's a student who rows out of a club shed.

Years ago my son was playing cricket for his junior school against another, the scorer for other boys school was also a Wenona parent. She told me about Wenona's rowing experience when I mentioned my admiration for Sydney girls schools who row without sheds. She added the girls loved it, but the experience of finding a suitable shed proved to be too difficult for some of the school's hierarchy and Wenona no longer row. A shame.

Well put

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)

Years ago my son was playing cricket for his junior school against another, the scorer for other boys school was also a Wenona parent. She told me about Wenona's rowing experience when I mentioned my admiration for Sydney girls schools who row without sheds. She added the girls loved it, but the experience of finding a suitable shed proved to be too difficult for some of the school's hierarchy and Wenona no longer row. A shame.
Thanks Lindommer, I think we all needed to hear that. Like a good conversation in the grandstand, this thread might cover many subjects unrestrained; keeping it civil is also essential. I for one shall modify my tone in future posts.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

What he said.
It seems reasonable to discuss Schools Rowing broadly in this thread.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
In this instance the thread should've been named "Schools Rowing 2015", or even "Junior Rowing 2015", and I think it's been agreed a different name's going to be used next year. If it isn't I'll make sure it is. The fact it's been called "GPS Rowing 2015" is somewhat of a shame as it's blatantly sexist while it ignores girls rowing in Sydney as well as non-GPS boys schools who row.

Name of thread changed

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Wh
Generally the former not the latter. To be fair, parents put in a lot of time to support their children in rowing (talk to the Loreto parents who have to make the 4.30am run a couple of times mid-week) and it kind of becomes a joint venture. I stuffed my back erging with son to get him back into top crew. I guess most parents would have their own stories so we can't be too hard.
When did the forum switch to 2015 Schools Rowing? I don't log in every day.... All for a schools forum to be set up next year but I'm not that interested this year. Can't there be two forums?

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Chapm
I do think out of kindness - Behindtheshed was just answering questions.

Now for my question - do the coaches that are ex Olympic rowers actually complete the coaching Levels or are they just given a free pass to coach?

James Chapman was said to be coaching Newington early in the forum but nobody has commented on him hanging around the shed and if he has his presence has not produced any boat speed. Did he get bored ??? Or did something better come along with a bigger pay cheque?

Another NZ rower was spotted at SIRC with a Joeys crew was that a one of - I have my sources even though I am far away.
Chapman has been working with the 2nd VIII but the coach from KW has been doing the 1st VIII. Chapman is still rowing competitively so it's hard for him to commit the hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.