• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Super Rugby Season - Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My Predictions:

There is going to be a fair bit of Pocock vs Hooper forum posting activity.

The Moderators will be required to step in more than once to make the peace in the Pocock vs Hooper dialogue.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
My Predictions:

There is going to be a fair bit of Pocock vs Hooper forum posting activity.

The Moderators will be required to step in more than once to make the peace in the Pocock vs Hooper dialogue.

There's a fair few Reds supporters still holding a torch for Liam Gill. So don't expect silence from our northern friends either.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
I certainly feel that Liam Gill was one of the stand outs for the Reds game last night. Regardless of the outcome, one positive that the Reds coaches can come away with is that Liam goes out there to play and make a difference. And I'm sure he needed to do that against Pocock. I don't necessarily think that Pocock had his measure. Gill came to give Pocock a touch up!!

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
Finally, the Stormers haven't made any gains of note but at this stage will field a first string side for the first time in years in round 1. Forward muscle to match the Bulls with an exciting fly half and excellent centre pairing to match. Should top the conference if they can stay injury-free but look a step below the Kiwi pair. 3rd.

Sure, unless you count Burger*, Kolisi*, Etsebeth*, De Villiers*, Malherbe*, Botha and Kobus van Wyk and Carr* returning from illness. Bench is also hurt with the exclusion of Taute*.

*Capped, which says a lot given that they went into yesterdays game with three only springboks up against 13 for the bulls.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
I can't really comment on the Australian and New Zealand teams, so I'll look at the SA conference.

Sharks.

I think the Sharks are over valued. On paper they look good with real strengths and few weaknesses, but I'm selling. Over the last couple of season's they have lacked identity. Last year they ended up on the right side of a couple of results that could have gone either way (like the Force), but they can't continue to rely on things going their way.

Prediction - 50% percent record that sees them missing out on the play-offs.

Bulls.

Maybe, maybe not. No team in Super rugby has more defined style of play. It is style that would please the Sydney Uni fan (forgot his name, sorry) immensely, I just don't know if it suits the squad they have. On their day, they can beat any side, anywhere in the world. I think they will continue with some really average players (McGeyvor, Kruger, Stegman and Visser in particular) and it will cost them a couple of big games.

Prediction - ~50%, but above the Shark by virtue of more bonus points. Wild card spot.

Stormers

I'm biased, shoot me. They don't have the star power of the Sharks or the Bulls, but they play a style that suites their squad and the squad is better than they appear on paper. They can carry injuries better than the Bulls or the Sharks so unless they go into fourth or fifth choice in any particular position as they did in 2014, they should be OK. Quality at flyhalf remains a major issue though.

Prediction - Conference winners, but not good enough in the halfs to really challenge for the cup.

Lions

The ginger step child of the franchises. They don't have any star players (Whiteley, excepted maybe), but they have style that works for them. I think they are going to be the lovable losers that the Cheetahs used to be this season. Their naivety against the canes were plain to see. Expect them to improve throughout the season.

Prediction - useful spoilers. Clear of bottom, but not by much.

Cheetahs

Not good enough. They lost too much quality and their coaching is truly awful. Might do ok against the other strugglers, but bottom three at best.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As we close in on the final rounds, posts made in January and February this year make for "interesting" reading.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I did alright Hugh. I was the only one to fancy the Canes over the Chiefs/Saders.

I picked Graham to be sacked in round 12, which is what should have happened if the board weren't covering their own asses.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Yeah most did OK.

We sound like savants with a few and dunces with others as is the nature of analysing every team.

It's hard enough to pick the top 6 in order now let alone at the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.