• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
McCauley, Kennewell. Maddocks and Girdler in current Australian squad and eligible next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Have to agree on NSW. I was astounded how poor they looked in the Super comp.

McCauley and Maddocks rightfully got their spots but I can't think of any others who can cry foul from NSW.

I don't think anyone is crying foul. I wrote early even before the NSW trials that the NSW had a young group and would be better next year, but there was a lack of class of whatever their ages. And that was before the injuries to their flyhaves and best scrumhalf.

Hooker Moore would be playing for Aus U20s now, if healthy: he was the outstanding impact forward for NSW before injury.

But even with all those people healthy it still would have been a below average NSW group, and because they usually supply a big fraction of the Aussie U20s, the poor form and standard of the healthy NSW players was always going to affect the general standard of the national team.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did Mike Harris lack "kaha" when he was playing for the Wobs vs NZL?

QC (Quade Cooper) and Kepu are also NZL born. Pretty sure they didn't hold back in games against The Darkness.

The NZL connected Vic boys "in awe" of Team NZ? Balderdash.
They will be out to do their absolute best, regardless.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Hey boys, I know a few of the VIC boys personally, and I just don't believe there is an inherit hatred of New Zealand as there should be in this squad. Nothing irks me more watching these boys laugh and hug straight after the game, when they should be focused on improving and beat these bloody kiwis. these kids, there's about 8 in the team, still regard themselves as kiwis, so how do we think we're ever going to beat them with this attitude
You don't have to hate someone to beat them. I usually played better when I played against mates because I wanted to beat them so I could give them shit after the game.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Seven changes for New Zealand

1 Shaun Stodart
2 Leni Apisai, captain
3 Alex Fidow
4 Quinten Strange
5 Sam Caird
6 Luke Jacobson
7 Dalton Papali’i
8 Marino Mikaele Tu’u
9 Jonathan Taumateine
10 Orbyn Leger
11 Jonah Lowe
12 Jordie Barrett
13 Patelesio Tomkinson
14 Malo Tuitama
15 Caleb Makene

Reserves
16 Asafo Aumua
17 Ayden Johnstone
18 Sean Paranihi
19 Lui Luamanu
20 Caleb Aperahama
21 Sam Nock
22 Stephen Perofeta
23 Mason Emerson

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
A bit of sarcasm of mine. Sorry it was lost on you. I am well aware that the Qld U20s actually won the competition, if not the acceptance of many Gen Blue fans on here.

I don't think anyone ever said NSW won the Comp, just that they came second in the official competition table.

http://www2.rugbylink.com.au/common...px?gradeid=22331_1&seasonid=97&entityid=30894

The inference being that they were actually on par with the Rebels in terms of wins/losses and fors/againsts. I think it's just that everyone was so used to NSW's superiority over the last couple of years winning the competition, that they were hopeless 'in comparison with past years'.

I also think the NSW piggies played extremely well and were on par in set pieces and around the ground with QLD and Rebels. The Rebels scrum went backwards all day in that game with at least a couple of tight heads, good at lineout time and some ruck and maul turnovers. It was the hairdressers, in the games I saw, who just couldn't score tries or defend around the edges well enough.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I've been called into work at the last moment. If there is a blogger who can do a review off the live stream please jump in.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On the bell, from the jaws of defeat, victory was snatched with a PK to Mack Mason.

AUS win 25-24.

AUS up by 17-3 at Oranges. A classic game of two halves.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
I've been called into work at the last moment. If there is a blogger who can do a review off the live stream please jump in.

I've made a start on the review. I'll finish it off tonight, unless someone is REALLY keen to take over

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Well, Mason played a lot better with good service from the halfback, but I'm still not sold on him being the best we would have. His biggest problem as I see it is that he doesn't take the line on much himself and therefore doesn't offer as much deception in his play as he might otherwise. Still looks a lot like McIntyre when he was in U20s.

For those who rubbished the idea of Jooste playing, he was a standout at 12 and along with Maddocks and Sione proved to be a handfull for the NZ defense.

The game stated to fall away from the Aus boys when the replacements came on (for both NZ and Australia). The NZ replacements almost snatched the game away after being down about 16 or 17 points deep into the second half. Why Rodda and Fowler (No 9) were replaced I'll never know. Probably just the pre-game plan without any consideration of how they were playing or what effect it would have on the overall performance. Rodda was immense, best on ground. A really inspirational performance by him. Scott-Young was also very strong in both defense and attack.

Johns

Stan Wickham (3)
Jooste was very good. Classy.

Will be interesting to see what they consider the full strength back line after today. Would love to find a spot for Jooste but the question is where. I don't see where they fit him unless they make a big call on dropping someone.

May just have to be the super sub this time. Only young so bodes well for the future.

Johns

Stan Wickham (3)
I think 12 has Tuipulotu's name on it with Magnay in 13.

They have put their eggs in the Mason basket at 10, and Maddocks is key at 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.