• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, I don't think that's a big hurdle.

The selectors just pick ~23 players × N teams that will be eligible for the JWC and then get them to compete for national jerseys.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is the big step forward that we took two years ago with the introduction of the National U20 Championships.

Not ideal in that all the action happens over two 1 week periods with effectively the Div 2 champs to select the Barbarians U20's involving NSW Country, Qld Country, Vic, WA and ACT, then the National U20's involving NSW, QLD, Barbarians and assorted overseas invited teams.

This leads into a further 3 games for the National squad at the Oceania U20 championships.

It is not a 6 team round robin tournament spread out over a couple of months like the 6N U20's is, but a HUGE improvement on the previous model that had 3 weekend camps and a trial against PNG and Australian Barbarian (Shute Shield battlers and their friends).

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
That is the big step forward that we took two years ago with the introduction of the National U20 Championships.

Not ideal in that all the action happens over two 1 week periods with effectively the Div 2 champs to select the Barbarians U20's involving NSW Country, Qld Country, Vic, WA and ACT, then the National U20's involving NSW, QLD, Barbarians and assorted overseas invited teams.

This leads into a further 3 games for the National squad at the Oceania U20 championships.

It is not a 6 team round robin tournament spread out over a couple of months like the 6N U20's is, but a HUGE improvement on the previous model that had 3 weekend camps and a trial against PNG and Australian Barbarian (Shute Shield battlers and their friends).

Fairly certain National U20's 2016 will be run over 5- 6 weekends in conjuction with S15/18 as curtain raisers. The old format of multiple games in short space has been shelved.

Now if only we can get Colts in Bris Clubs to move from U19 to U20. Makes sense to align across the board, especially as our school leavers are all soon to 18 at graduation. But common sense and the QRU is not always and easy fit.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Be nice to realign all Colts comps across our wide brown lands as U20's but the most aspirational of the U20 players are already playing Grade footy, with some like Magnay (and Placid before him) already playing Super Rugby.

The Selectors also seem to look more favourably on players that are playing Shute Shield (NSW), Hospital Cup (Qld), John 1 Dent (ACT) etc over those in the respective Colts programmes. Whether this is a bias on their behalf, or simply a recognition that the candidates that are playing up against Men week in week out are better performers in the trial games than those who are "only" playing against their age cohort is unknown. Being accustomed to the extra physicality of Grade footy is useful preconditioning for the World U20's where many of the opponents are similarly in the local equivalent of grade, pro or semi pro football.

Down here in Olde Sydney Towne, the SRU assesses Colts 1 football as being the equivalent of 3rd Grade football in terms of eligibility for the finals series of games for Colts Age eligible players. If an U20 player has played too many Grade 2 or Shute Shield games, they can not be parachuted into a Colts 1 team for the finals, whereas there is no technical restriction on a player who has played all year in Grade 3 from being named in a Colts 1 Finals squad. Technically compliant but morally - well .... ... ... but that is another thread.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Fairly certain National U20's 2016 will be run over 5- 6 weekends in conjuction with S15/18 as curtain raisers. The old format of multiple games in short space has been shelved.

Another step forward if so.

Would seem to be close to what I was rabbiting on about on the previous page, except dew sweeping for the Supe instead of NRC.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't think this has been posted yet.

Brumbies 2016 Under 20's Training Squad
http://www.brumbies.com.au/uncategorised/brumbies-u20s-squad-named

Forwards
Falela SIONE, Royals
Nick CUSHAN, Tuggeranong
Tyrel LOMAX, Tuggeranong
Marcus CUTLER, Royals
Chris ANASTASIU, Gungahlin
Samuel SAMUELA, Royals
Suita TAI, Royals
Cameron HOLT, Tuggeranong
Oliver ADAMS, TBC
Levi GOODWIN-SHAW, TBC
Matthew SNEDDON, TBC
Harry DAHL, TBC
Bruce MONU, Royals
Dean PARAGALI, Royals
Lewis BOZZARTO, Queanbeyan
Nick SAUNDERS, TBC
Brodie LEBER, Wests
Sione FUALALO, Tuggeranong

Backs
Mitchell DOUCH, Queanbeyan
Jacob ABEL, TBC
Jordan JACKSON-HOPE, Tuggeranong
Harry TYSON, Royals
Jordan FULIVAI, Gungahlin
Ben DARMODY, Queanbeyan
Trai HENDERSON, Tuggeranong
Josh WELLS, TBC
Thomas HALL, Uni-Norths
Samuel ROSS, Royals
Jamie KOTZ, Gungahlin
Kealii LEULUAI, TBC
Harry LEDDY, TBC
Isaac WALKER, Gungahlin

Notes:
Tyrel Lomax is a 2015 Aust U20 rep and is in the UC Vikings NRC Squad.
Jordan Jackson Hope and Mitchell Douch played regular John I Dent First Grade rugby in 2015 & are part of the ACT Griffins team.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
New names:

AUSTRALIAN U20S 2016 COACHING STRUCTURE ANNOUNCED
By ARU Media Unit: 10/13/2015​
The Australia U20s will have a big year in 2016.​
NSW Waratahs’ Tim Rapp and Queensland Reds’ Jason Gilmore will join Head Coach Adrian Thompson as Assistant Coaches in the Australian U20s coaching structure for 2016.​
Alan Gaffney will also return as a technical advisor and selector to the national side.​
. . . Next year will see the Australian side compete in the second Oceania Rugby Junior Championship as well as the World Rugby U20 Championship​
. . .​

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Interesting idea there, Lee. As you say, it's possibly a bit pie-in-the-sky right now – but how might it be made to work?
There are lots of variations on the idea but if we want to compete at international U20s we have to do things differently—and cheaply.

If we don't we will have to be content with sneaking into the finals as a realistic goal; our major competitors will not be standing still waiting for us to get a process together that they already have.

I can't say I have any more ideas than I have mentioned before, but the odd rant is good for me.

The U20 nationals have been beneficial for our selection process and for getting a few months training in before they go there and get chosen for the national team.

As modest as our results have been in the last two years with it, they would probably have been worse without it.

But we need to have something in the boys' U19 year to bring in that training for some kind of competition a year earlier, as recent winners of the international U20s do.

Even though it's easier for countries that are geographically smaller and don't seem strapped for cash for rugby competitions, a bridge between school and U20 has to be set up in Australia.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
But we need to have something in the boys' U19 year to bring in that training for some kind of competition a year earlier, as recent winners of the international U20s do.

Yep. It could get the wheels turning a lot earlier.

Let's say we have a national comp over 5-6 weekends as per Girtbysea's post. It might cost a bit more than the current setup compressed into one week, but would be a step forward, I think.

But what about if it was also moved from the present February/March time slot back 4-5 months to say September/October in line with the NRC?
  • The possibility might be there to select a couple of Australian teams earlier and have them playing a game or three. Perhaps a match with the selected NRC Baabaas or some such.
  • Then after the EOY break, the program continues through the February-March period with further matches involving domestic and invited opposition. The final Aus U20 team is then selected in the lead up to the Oceania Juniors and the U20 JWC.
Dunno. It's probably more pie-in-the-sky stuff of my own this time.

Also, a change might be forced for next year due to the fact that Samoa missed out on qualification for the JW Cup. They're now playing in the JW Trophy along with Fiji and Tonga.

The JW Trophy is usually held a bit earlier than the JWC. So unless the schedule of the Oceania Division I Champs is moved, Samoa might not be able to play in it. There's meant to be an Oceania Division II starting in 2016 as well, which might include Fiji, Tonga, Cook Is and PNG.

Maybe Australia should invite Argentina (or South Africa - or both) to play at Bond Uni along with Japan and NZ.

T

TOCC

I'm pretty sure South Africa were invited and declined

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'm pretty sure South Africa were invited and declined.

For 2015 or 2016?

But fair enough. With their domestic setup, SA probably don't need the extra prep. Having said that, they did play a couple of matches with the Argies in the lead up to last year.

Perhaps Argentina might be an option for an invite. Ideally you'd want an even number of sides in the tournament.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You'd have to think The Jooster will be spending most of his "training" time with the Brumbies main squad rather than their U20's, and only be parachuted into the Ponies U20's when not required for duties with Club Brumby.

Many of the previous Super Rugby contracted U20 eligible players, both here and in SAF and NZL, seem to only play U20's for the National team rather than their province/state U20. The State/Province U20 selectors seem to kind of get that a Contracted Player is already training and playing at a very high level, and that there is little lost when said contracted player is parachuted into their squad.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
Is Joost likely to be added to the list?

I have heard that Jooste will join the Brumbies under 20's following his NRC commitments in the west. But as Mr Jarse states above some of these guys just come into the National side eg. Placid last year. But in this case i would not be surprised if Jooste plays a bit of 20's as he was not part of the 20's Baa Baas side last year at Nationals and it would be a good lead up.

Jordan Fulivai will be back playing Dec/Jan following a knee injury that has keep him out of playing since U20's nationals 2015.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I agree Jooste should be playing u20 to gain some senior experience as he has not had much if any NRC time either. It will do his confidence and transition to Super Rugby easier later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Watched Porter a few times in the emerging Stars. All class. One of my favs. Also saw young Lough have a half a game. Pretty solid pairing for Uni colts next year

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Watched Porter a few times in the emerging Stars. All class. One of my favs. Also saw young Lough have a half a game. Pretty solid pairing for Uni colts next year
Did Porter get a run? Was Wilkinson fit? Sound's like they were pushed to get a team together cause of injuries.

The Rays coach Geoff Townsend said, in this article <http://www.buildcorpnrc.com.au/Arti...ys-declare-hands-for-Battle-of-Bathurst.aspx>
Gordon’s James Wilkinson, who is yet to turn 20, will come on to the bench if he is passed fit. [snip]

“We’ve just about run out of troops,” Townsend added.

“If you’re fit and have been to training this week then you’re a strong contender for the squad this week."

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Porter started on the wing and featured with a bit of magic round the back to get the crucial BP try for the Stars, although the callers attributed the try assist to Kingston.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If folks want to know about the NSW U20s selection procedure for 2016—first up there will be dozens of players in the first intake.

It won't include many players still U/20 eligible in 2016 who they have already looked at for the 2015 U/20s.

There will be few, if any, current schoolboys, and no NRC players - they have to have an off-season.

Instead NSW will look at widening their base and looking at brand new players recommended by their clubs or who are already on the clipboards of the scouts.

As HJ suggested: many of the NSW U/19 Colts will be chosen; it was the same last year.

They will be trained and flogged - and at the start of November the survivors will be joined by returnees from last year who are still eligible; also NRC players, and schoolies when they are able to join in.

After these comings and goings there will be about 50~60 remaining. There may be a rare 2016 Year 12 player invited for a few weeks, to woo him for the future as there was a year before.

Their training will duplicate what the Waratahs players will be doing at the same time, taking into account the fewer hours they will be involved. The cream will be invited to join the Tahs seniors for opposed training now and then.

There will be some rugged hit-outs, some refereed, which will be virtual selection trials - and there will be a big culling at the start of January.

Those remaining will keep training and play in several trial matches. The final cut will be made about the start of March.

On the money as always Lee. I was talking to a young lad on the weekend, seems a number of the schoolboy rock stars have been added to the group and they recommence next week. Looking at a couple of the lesser known lads there will definately be some size to the pack this year..even with the loss of Lukhan

Status
Not open for further replies.