• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The way results have been going so far, I wouldn't take anything for granted @Waiopehu OB.

Saffers are also in a good space to deliver a BP win as well.

Once again the contest for the 4th spot is as tight as a fishes bum.

Moan all you like about the 3 pool structure, but the bottom line is that to be in with the best chance of winning the U20 RWC, you have to keep on winning games.

I did say (just) :)

Houndi

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think that they'll beat England but may not get the required bonus point. Good changes made based on form, I reckon a few future wallabies in that team.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thought Jurd looked quite good when he came on against Italy. I'd think Jooste probably got dropped on form.

Good to see Lukan Tui in the starting side - unfortunate for Rodda who has been playing good but McCauley also earns his spot.

Would have preferred Rob Leota at 8 as the stronger runner and harder defender.

Have been disappointed by Jooste. He was always going to be the same player as Maddocks was, and therefore potentially a duplication that was not needed - but that's in hindsight: I thought he would perform better.

Lukhan deserves his chance ahead of Rodda, though Rodda played well in the first game. You wouldn't have the two tight head locks in the same starting team though.

Leota is an impact performer and the Rebels should get him to be an 80 minute player - for their own eventual interests, of course, and also because he is still in his U19 year and will be dynamite as an U20 next year if he can play for 80.

Watch out for new starting 7 Ikapote Tupai - he was a late call-up for Fox - but my word, he can play.

As I said earlier, England were scary good against Scotland and the young Aussies will have to play their best to win, let alone with cherries on top.

And elsewhere - geez Ireland played well but NZ didn't look like world-beaters anyway.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mack Mason doing very well to get any attack going given England are very 'quick' in defence and the ruck ball is quite slow.

Jurd the standout for mine.

Scrum battle is pretty great. England on top but we're not giving up. We will need to ensure our Lineout tightens up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jordie Barrett 79th-min PG, NZ 18-17 Wales. NZ finish on 10 points with +47 PD.

HT in the other game France 24-18 SA who're gone unless they win either with a BP or by 24+.

Straya beating Ringinland would really put the cat amongst the pigeons, there's probably a scenario in there whereby they can both qualify.......... Even if your boys can't pull that off, ABE!

EDIT: SA now lead 25-24. Never thought I'd ever say this but Go France!

Jamie Miller0

Frank Row (1)
Really sad way to end the tournament from our boys. It's true that things didn't always go our way. The Magnay red card ruined a lot, and one or two small errors really cost us a match against England that really could've gone either way. But there was stuff the team could control that it didn't. The refusal to rotate players through the tournament looked very costly in the last 20 against England, when we looked a bit tired. Even then, the coach didn't bring much of the bench on; the props did a full 70 minutes. Additionally, a number of major positional cock-ups left us struggling against Scotland even when down to 14. Jordan Jackson-Hope was barely seen through the tournament, but is clearly a class talent; Lukhan and Leota were also among our best, but just didn't get on the field enough. It's hard not to think that these are, ultimately, coaching issues. I think Lee's and others' observation that this was a stronger squad than in previous years was very accurate. It was the whole system that failed to get the best out of them. Time for a change.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We probably needed a little more from our forwards in attack in that match. As I said, the Poms slowed the ruck ball down very effectively and were up quick in defense and it was largely left to Mason to deal with that.

We needed more work close to the ruck I reckon.

The Poms were clearly the better team but played very poorly. Both lineouts were pretty terrible and whilst the English had the better scrum, we battled manfully at scrum time.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
World Rugby U20 Championship 2016

NEW ZEALAND U20 55 - 0 GEORGIA U20, Pool A, Match 3
WALES U20 25 - 26 IRELAND U20, Pool A, Match 5
NEW ZEALAND U20 24 - 33 IRELAND U20, Pool A, Match 10
WALES U20 10 - 9 GEORGIA U20, Pool A, Match 11
IRELAND U20 35 -7 GEORGIA U20, Pool A, Match 17
NEW ZEALAND U20 18 - 17 WALES U20, Pool A, Match 14

AUSTRALIA U20 10 - 15 SCOTLAND U20, Pool B, Match 2
ENGLAND U20 48 - 10 ITALY U20, Pool B, Match 6
AUSTRALIA U20 38 - 10 ITALY U20, Pool B, Match 7
ENGLAND U20 44 - 0 SCOTLAND U20, Pool B, Match 12
SCOTLAND U20 27 - 19 ITALY U20, Pool B, Match 16
ENGLAND U20 17 - 13 AUSTRALIA U20, Pool B, Match 15

FRANCE U20 15 - 24 ARGENTINA U20, Pool C, Match 1
SOUTH AFRICA U20 59 - 19 JAPAN U20, Pool C, Match 4
FRANCE U20 46 - 14 JAPAN U20, Pool C, Match 8
SOUTH AFRICA U20 13 - 19 ARGENTINA U20, Pool C, Match 9
ARGENTINA U20 39 - 20 JAPAN U20, Pool C, Match 13
SOUTH AFRICA U20 40 - 31 FRANCE U20, Pool C, Match 18

Standings:
Pool A
Ireland 13 pts
New Zealand 10 pts
Wales 7 pts
Georgia 1 pts

Pool B
England 14 pts
Scotland 9 pts
Australia 7 pts
Italy 0 pts

Pool C
Argentina 13 pts
South Africa 11 pts
France 6 pts
Japan 0 pts

"Semi Final" fixtures to come on 20 June:
Top 4
IRE v ARG
ENG v SAF

5-8 play off
NZL v WAL
AUS v SCO

9-12 play off
GEO v ITA
FRA v JAP

Play offs for final positions to come on 25 June

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Had we managed to keep 15 players on the oval for 80 minutes against the Single Malts, and snuck home for a W with a 4T BP (no guarantee of the 4T BP), we would have finished up on equal points with SAF but may still be in the 5-8 playoffs due to the Saffers having a superior F/A based on their 40 point margin over their pool minnows.

Let's hope we can play a full game of 15 vs 15 in the return match against the Single Malts.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hard to win a game when you can't win any of your own line outs or scrums.

Backline was strong.
Line out throwing, lifting/catching/pod work, and calling was rather hit and miss during the Curtain Raiser cup and the Junior Wallaby games before they left Australia.

Some good line out merchants were left at home in Team Rehab, or missed out on making the cut for reasons other than their line out throwing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was surprised how many of our lineout calls went to the back or close to when we were struggling.

More quick ball at two seemed to be the answer.

In the scrums it seemed like we would have been better on our own ball if we'd timed our strike better. A lot of the feeds hit our hooker's foot and then bounced forward to sit in the middle of the scrum where we couldn't hook it because we were under so much pressure.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
2 wins is what we wanted from this pool.0, so we can't complain too much.

The circumstances (that is, injuries, overall performance in the wins, and a thumping in the loss) would not be pleasing. Losing Hutchinson is awful, he's not one of the big 5, but he's just been Conrad Smith like for 3 tournaments whenever he plays at 13.

You guys should beat us solidly if you play well. I reckon you should put out the big boppers in the 4-5-6-8 (that is, Rodda, LLT, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), and Rob), then play JJH and Sione in the centers to bring the wide players into the game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Leota is an impact performer and the Rebels should get him to be an 80 minute player - for their own eventual interests, of course, and also because he is still in his U19 year and will be dynamite as an U20 next year if he can play for 80.

Lee, you've watched these young blokes a hell of a lot more than I have, but I wonder if you might be contributing to a widespread but perhaps unwarranted typecasting of Leota as not being an 80 minute player? You know the type of thing - someone says AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can't pass, Foley can't tackle, White can't kick for shit, etc etc, and it becomes a sort of folklore.

I think Leota added a lot of go forward and aggression when he came on against Italy and clearly outplayed the starting No 8. I'd like to see him get the opportunity to start and perhaps play 80 minutes before labeling him so.

Status
Not open for further replies.