• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
That's where I think Jooste offers a lot more than any of the No 10s who have come through the U20s in recent times. They have tended to be backline organisers only (and some not much chop at that), while Jooste also plays his own game, taking the line on when opportunity seems to be in the offing.

Jooste's weakness atm seems to be his tackling capability. If he can work on that aspect, he'll be a much more rounded No 10 than we've seen at this level for a long time (think Bernie Larkham to whom he has been compared already).
I did not see any of his games @10 in NRC and he played #12 in u20's last year. A flyhalf can make or break a team with his mental ability to read the game. Not sure if Jooste is there yet, he can develop and has the right attributes but needs game time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IMO I don't think Jooste is Super Rugby ready and should be getting max game time at u20's as a #10.

I agree, and I think he would've been gradually given time off the bench if Lilo wasn't ill..........

I think he's going to get thrown into the deep end this year, much like Lilo was in 2008......... although Lilo was a much better player at that age, and was the starting 10 of the 2007 U20's champion team.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I agree, and I think he would've been gradually given time off the bench if Lilo wasn't ill....

I think he's going to get thrown into the deep end this year, much like Lilo was in 2008.
Sink or swim, let's hope he does not disappoint like the Reds were with their green (or not so Green, excuse the pun) #10 last year.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
On what form?

There's only two fly halves in the squad, and the other guy had to compete against Isaac Thompson for a spot.....
Bernie orchestrating things so he has to make a comeback?

It's negligent to have those 2 as your only options, unless he has a selection from left field in his mind?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They've announced 11 signings since he was diagnosed.
Maybe Godwin is his solution?

I'm sure quite a few of those, like Godwin (he was linked to the Brumbies way back in June), were in discussions with the Brumbies well before Lilo was diagnosed........

And many of those later signings were to fill spots in the wider squad, EPS etc.

It's already been discussed elsewhere that the timing of Lilo's diagnosis left the Brumbies short of options in regards to available experienced flyhalves.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
IMO I don't think Jooste is Super Rugby ready and should be getting max game time at u20's as a #10.

Agree

Nick Jooste is a similar player to Jack Deb at the Rebels and it would be a big ask for him to do anything better than Jack did in Super Rugby, when Jack had the same lack of experience as Nick has now.

Better for Nick to play U20s in the scenario that Highlander astutely mapped out.

As for the Brumbies: our newest Wallaby, Kyle Godwin, was not the worst no. 10 I ever saw when he was a young bloke; so perhaps he can put his toe back in the water.

Mind you, his main strength, the evasive skills we saw from him in Paris, do not feature as much playing 10 as they do at 12.

But back to U20s.

There is also a young lad by the name of McGregor at the Rebels who will probably put his hand up for the 10 jumper..if all goes to plan post rehab

Agree also.

Jack Mac is a multi-talented prospect - for his game management, ball-running and facilitating - and is not shy to tackle either.

Otherwise destined for Super Rugby excellence, his only minus is his recent injury record. Brave as a rooster, he appeared to play injured too often in his last year of school in 2015, and was one of several flyhalves on the NSW U20s butchers' bill in 2016.

I've lost track of his his injury status but if he can get a good start to the season he could be ahead of Jooste for U20s anyway, as he was in their school days - and if there's anybody else ahead of him elsewhere - all the better.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I've lost track of his his injury status but if he can get a good start to the season he could be ahead of Jooste for U20s anyway, as he was in their school days - and if there's anybody else ahead of him elsewhere - all the better.

Did his ACL about 12 months ago so he should be bursting out of his skin for season 2017

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Agree

Nick Jooste is a similar player to Jack Deb at the Rebels and it would be a big ask for him to do anything better than Jack did in Super Rugby, when Jack had the same lack of experience as Nick has now.

Better for Nick to play U20s in the scenario that Highlander astutely mapped out.

As for the Brumbies: our newest Wallaby, Kyle Godwin, was not the worst no. 10 I ever saw when he was a young bloke; so perhaps he can put his toe back in the water.

Mind you, his main strength, the evasive skills we saw from him in Paris, do not feature as much playing 10 as they do at 12.

Kyle Godwin was a good 10 who could not place kick to save himself. If the Brumbies can find another kicker in their ranks who is good enough to start, then that is probably their first option.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
For the Curtain Raiser Cup/Super 20's, Qld team should consist of the following players and please feel free to edit/add players.
1 Hoopert, Harry
2 Effie Maafu
3 Luka, Gavin
4 Harry Hocking/Callum Ball
5 Emmanual Meafou/Angus Blythe (John Eales recipient 2017)
6 Angus Scott Young/Sam Wallis
7 Liam Wright/Connor Moroney
8 Reece Hewat
9 Harry Nucifora/Jordan Lenac/Eli Piltz
10 Alex Horan/Hamish Stewart
11 Sam Edwards/Will Eadie
12 Tony Hunt
13 Dylan Riley
14 Liam McNamara
15 Jayden Ngamanu/Luke Osbourne (John Eales recipient 2017)
Not sure if Izaia Perese will be released from Reds for the Curtain Raiser Cup/Super 20's.
Emmanuel Meafou has been picked up by Melbourne U/20's. Big loss for Brothers.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Emmanuel Meafou has been picked up by Melbourne U/20's. Big loss for Brothers.
Heard that after I posted - If it's just for u20's he should be back for the Bris season. There are a few doing that with the Rebels u20.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I see Bernie has been monitoring GAGR again. Have been saying for 6 months at least that Toua could have the skills to fit in at No 10. Often played at first receiver last year when the Brumbies went for a blind side play.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think the Brumbies would be better off playing a cancer ridden Lilo than to give Toua any position that requires greater decision making.............

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
For the Curtain Raiser Cup/Super 20's, Qld team should consist of the following players and please feel free to edit/add players.
1 Hoopert, Harry
2 Effie Maafu
3 Luka, Gavin
4 Harry Hocking/Callum Ball
5 Emmanual Meafou/Angus Blythe (John Eales recipient 2017)
6 Angus Scott Young/Sam Wallis
7 Liam Wright/Connor Moroney
8 Reece Hewat
9 Harry Nucifora/Jordan Lenac/Eli Piltz
10 Alex Horan/Hamish Stewart
11 Sam Edwards/Will Eadie
12 Tony Hunt
13 Dylan Riley
14 Liam McNamara
15 Jayden Ngamanu/Luke Osbourne (John Eales recipient 2017)
Not sure if Izaia Perese will be released from Reds for the Curtain Raiser Cup/Super 20's.
Went out for a look at the Reds U/20 squad train the other night. Horan looks really fit/sharp and has put on some bulk. The Front Rowers Effie Maafu, Harry Hoopert, Gav Luka and Brayden Schiller are also looking fit and mobile. Brad Thorn was stressing to the squad that he was looking for them to concentrate on having a strong defence and keeping it simple. "The boys can't attack if they haven't got the ball"

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Went out for a look at the Reds U/20 squad train the other night. Horan looks really fit/sharp and has put on some bulk. The Front Rowers Effie Maafu, Harry Hoopert, Gav Luka and Brayden Schiller are also looking fit and mobile. Brad Thorn was stressing to the squad that he was looking for them to concentrate on having a strong defence and keeping it simple. "The boys can't attack if they haven't got the ball"
Have they got much timber in the squad?

Status
Not open for further replies.