• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thankfully that was worked out. Not sure how he could have played QLD Premier Colts (u19) in 2016 & not been eligible the following year.
My apologies his fb profile must be incorrect. He would be handy to have in the squad in that case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Stumbled on this today on Rugby News when looking for Wallaby reports.. http://www.rugbynews.net.au/nsw-20s-possibles-v-probables-trial-teams-announced/
I assume that "tomorrow" refers to yesterday or today. Did anyone go and watch? Any thoughts on who will step up to play 10 and 15 with the (huge) loss of McGregor and Maddocks? Also can someone refresh me on the 16 incumbents.

Disappointed to see Puni Aupuni named here, as a Vic local I would've hoped he came home for Super 20s after spending 2016 in Sydney. After that, he could stay for the 2017 season or move back, the Rebels don't lock you down.

As for Esei Haangana, I'm reasonably sure he's training with the Rebels with the view to having him play Rebels 20s.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I wouldn't put too much blame on Thompson though. As one who has been to their practice sessions in Narrabeen over the last three years there weren't too many that were obvious stars on show, and you couldn't fault the input as far as I could judge it.

Two things are burned into my brain about Thompson:
  1. The refusal to pull the 8 when he couldn't pick up the ball and fall on it over the line when he had a perfectly good replacement on the bench. We lost about a million tries because of his stubbornness.
  2. His selection of a player for the final match who stuffed our whole campaign by getting 2! yellow cards in the same game was inexplicably stubborn.
The other issues are slowly fading with time, but there were plenty of them.

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would think that of the prem colts from last year in QPR that Hoopert, Ma'afu, Hockings, Hunt, Edwards, Nucifora, Coward, Riley, Stewart, Ngamanu and McNamara will be in the squad for the JWC...I'm prob missing one but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I would think that of the prem colts from last year in QPR that Hoopert, Ma'afu, Hockings, Hunt, Edwards, Nucifora, Coward, Riley, Stewart, Ngamanu and McNamara will be in the squad for the JWC.I'm prob missing one but those are the ones off the top of my head.
From a QLD perspective it is going to be difficult making the JWC 2017. There are some talented players at the Rebels, Brumbies and Gen Blue. QLD had a bumper year 2016 and were spoiled with some big and talented players (not discounting our current talent) NSW had a young group this year that will come back strong next year. The Rebels have recruited well and taken a few good ones from QLD, Tualima, Farrel to name a few. Coward has signed with the 7's and may not be seen in 15's this coming season and as you said you may have forgotten one Angus Scott Young, Liam Roberts both 2016 Aus u20 with Reece Hewat returning from long injury will sure be in the mix as for the others they will need to show their talent in the curtain raiser cup to impress the NSW u20 Head coach.

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
I completely forgot about Angus, I had forgotten he was a colt last year...he just didn't play any colts for us so there is the gap. It'll be interesting to see how Reece Hewat goes, he hasn't played a game to my mind since the Aus V NZ schoolboy game at Ballymore 2015...I could be wrong but that is a long time. He is a cracking player and was a real standout at Nudgee.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I completely forgot about Angus, I had forgotten he was a colt last year.he just didn't play any colts for us so there is the gap. It'll be interesting to see how Reece Hewat goes, he hasn't played a game to my mind since the Aus V NZ schoolboy game at Ballymore 2015.I could be wrong but that is a long time. He is a cracking player and was a real standout at Nudgee.
He is currently training with the Reds squad but is not free from niggles on his knee. He had both shoulders operated on straight after school and then did his acl at his first training session back for North's Prem, just getting back into it now.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
For the Curtain Raiser Cup/Super 20's, Qld team should consist of the following players and please feel free to edit/add players.
1 Hoopert, Harry
2 Effie Maafu
3 Luka, Gavin
4 Harry Hocking/Callum Ball
5 Emmanual Meafou/Angus Blythe (John Eales recipient 2017)
6 Angus Scott Young/Sam Wallis
7 Liam Wright/Connor Moroney
8 Reece Hewat
9 Harry Nucifora/Jordan Lenac/Eli Piltz
10 Alex Horan/Hamish Stewart
11 Sam Edwards/Will Eadie
12 Tony Hunt
13 Dylan Riley
14 Liam McNamara
15 Jayden Ngamanu/Luke Osbourne (John Eales recipient 2017)
Not sure if Izaia Perese will be released from Reds for the Curtain Raiser Cup/Super 20's.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm also quite impressed with the calibre of the cohort of players who will be available for 2017 U20 World Champs. They have the potential to do well. Let's hope that Team Rehab Selectors just stuff off and leave our Athletes alone next season."

Agree on the financial side of things Hugh. Easy to make hay when the sun shines; just appears we have a lot of stormy n cloudy weather coming.

On another point. Do you think that the "cotton wool" policy should be scrapped? I would prefer the top players to make appearances in club rugby; sharpens their tools and creates a benchmark for other hopefuls. What u think?

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
There would be a couple of fuller figured lads that would be pleased they weren't doing it Tuesday or Wednesday

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BRUMBIES U20

KEY DATES

4 Feb – Trial v Rebels (Albury, 13:00)

11 Feb – Trial v Waratahs (Bowral, 13:00)

18 Feb – Trial v Uni-Norths (UC, 13:00)

25 Feb – Trial v Japan U20 (match and venue TBC)

5 Mar – U20 v Rebels (Canberra, 15:00)

11 Mar – U20 v Waratahs (Wollongong, 14:00)

19 Mar – U20 v Force (Canberra, 14:00)

26 Mar – U20 v Reds (Canberra, 15:00)

1 Apr – Grand Final (TBC, 13:00)

UNDER 20 BRUMBIES ‘COLTS’ SQUAD

Forwards (20): Charlie Hancock (TBC), Nick Cushan (Tuggeranong), Fred Kahea (Erindale College), Tom Ross (Gungahlin), Angus Wagner (Tuggeranong), Tevita Unga- Wolske (Gungahlin), Sam Thomas (Tuggeranong), Lachlan Lonergan (Tuggeranong), Darcy Swain (Tuggeranong), Will Sankey (Uni-Norths), Levi Goodwin-Shaw (Queanbeyan), Liam Rasch (Wests), David Verryne (Uni-Norths), Jamie Field (Tuggeranong), Angus Allen (Wests), Nick Saunders (Easts), Luke Gersekowski (Tuggeranong), Brodie Leber (Wests), Justin Sikimeti (Queanbeyan), Rob Valetini (Wests)*

Backs (16): Connor Tansey (Uni-Norths), Seamus Smith (Marist),
Liam Moseley (Queanbeyan), Siaosi Pulefale (TBC), Alec Sheldon (Uni-Norths), Kuti Tahau (Wests), Jackson Duffy (Gungahlin), Trai Henderson (Tuggeranong), Len Ikitau (Tuggeranong), Jamie Kotz (Gungahlin), Faletui Samuelu (Wests), Cole Davis (Royals), Caleb Malisauskas (TBC), Mac Hansen (Gungahlin), Ryan Lonergan (Tuggeranong)*, Nick Jooste (Wests)*

*contracted Plus500 Brumbies player

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is this considered a strong squad?

I think the Rebels squad will be very good this year because they've recruited hard, and the Tahs will be (because they went young last year) and the Reds will be (because they're the Reds).

Should be a good year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Saw an U20s Lock turn out towards the end of 2016 season, I think with the ACT Vikings. Was it Darcy Swain? Whomever, he showed a hell of a lot of promise imo. Matched it easily with the big boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.