• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Thanks. Hadn't seen that.

Presumably it will be on the way to phasing out the Norths role. He's not going to be in Australia for a chunk of the Shute Shield season. It certainly isn't viable to continue both on an ongoing basis.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks. Hadn't seen that.

Presumably it will be on the way to phasing out the Norths role. He's not going to be in Australia for a chunk of the Shute Shield season. It certainly isn't viable to continue both on an ongoing basis.

One would hope so.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The previous coach Adrian Thomson has moved to another role within the ARU; National Performance Programs Manager.

What makes you think Cron will still be the Norths coach?
When did they adverise that position?

So now we have a failed 7's coach getting a 2 year extension.
And a failed 20's coach given a related role.

Why is no one ever accountable for their below par performance?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When did they adverise that position?

So now we have a failed 7's coach getting a 2 year extension.
And a failed 20's coach given a related role.

Why is no one ever accountable for their below par performance?

I have no idea when they advertised for the position. I don't check job advertisements with the ARU.

Should the ARU have done a worldwide search for what is presumably a sub $100k per year job to manage junior rep programs?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
worldwide search?
You are being ridiculous.
You presume it's below &100k, I presume it's not.

His continued failure in his previous role,is evidence that he's best qualified for this new role?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some folks have been banging on about a pathway for Coach development to build our depth in Australian Rugby in this area.

Success at one level being seen as preparation for the next level all the way from Mum and Day at Junior Club level to Running the Men in Gold.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Some folks have been banging on about a pathway for Coach development to build our depth in Australian Rugby in this area.

Success at one level being seen as preparation for the next level all the way from Mum and Day at Junior Club level to Running the Men in Gold.

In Thompson's case I am not sure there was much success to prepare him for the next level. Last year's U-20's campaign showed up some huge coaching shortcomings and over the last three years we could not make the semi's once. After watching the teams play I felt there was enough quality there to make the semi's two out of those three years.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In Thompson's case I am not sure there was much success to prepare him for the next level. Last year's U-20's campaign showed up some huge coaching shortcomings and over the last three years we could not make the semi's once. After watching the teams play I felt there was enough quality there to make the semi's two out of those three years.

It could be said that most of our history at Junior RWC has been characterised by coaching shortfalls.

That being said it is tough gig making the semis the year following not making the semis, as next years pools are selected on the current years placing at the tournament. The higher placing achieved results in a more favourable pool draw the following year.

While they retain a 3 pool system, the last place in the semis will usually be based on bonus points, so it is extremely beneficial to be in a "weak" pool, and to really thump the 'weakest" of the opponents in that weak pool, while winning the game against the middle ranking team with a bonus point, and at least gaining a losing bonus point against the top ranked opponent, if unable to beat them outright.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's a fair point.
But drawing a weak pool, and making the semi would just disguise the gap between us and the better teams.
NZ 55-Aus 24 sums it up.
There was plenty of disquiet about selections & tactics.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've been following the Jnr RWC for too many years (since 2010 in Argentina where we got the silver medal after having our arses handed to us by NZL in the final) , and Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda pretty much sums up our performances since then.

There has always been much discussion and disquiet over selections and tactics, last year being not particularly different from other years in that regards, although the Injury Fairy was particularly angry in 2016.

Comparing the process to select the 2010 team for JRWC to what it has evolved into now with the Curtain Raiser Cup shows how much Australian Rugby has matured and grown over time. Unfortunately the same can't be said about the selection and monitoring of Coaches and Selector performances over that time period.

I am really chuffed by the latest development where Coaches that have demonstrated and achieved lower level success are being given the challenge of moving up to the next level. I'm also quite impressed with the calibre of the cohort of players who will be available for 2017 U20 World Champs. They have the potential to do well. Let's hope that Team Rehab Selectors just stuff off and leave our Athletes alone next season.

For too many years, it has seemed that paper qualifications, and knowledge of the secret handshakes and ins and outs of what the leather patch shiraz swilling brigade want have counted more than demonstrated success as a coach.

Twice in a week, I find that the ARU deserve praise. Sometimes change takes a while to come to fruition. Billy Pulverisor comes in for a fair bit of criticism from the peanut gallery on these threads, but I can only think that he has been behind some of the really positive stuff that has come out of St Leonards recently and he should be given credit for those achievements, many of which have been achieved while the organisation has been on the precipice of financial difficulty. That takes some doing. Being an awesome CEO when the bank accounts are full isn't all that difficult.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
.....Unfortunately the same can't be said about the selection and monitoring of Coaches and Selector performances over that time period.

I am really chuffed by the latest development where Coaches that have demonstrated and achieved lower level success are being given the challenge of moving up to the next level.
How many successful lower level coaches have been appointed by the ARU?
Or are you suggesting the Cron appointment,signals a new ideology?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm suggesting that Cron and Marshall's appointment seems to represent a new ideology.

I'll put up a more detailed post later about the history of AUS at U20 Jnr RWC, results, squads and Coaching staff. but from memory most recent Coaches have come from the full time staff at the ARU HPU.
David Nucifora was appointed HC for 3 or so years before handing over to Thompson in 2013 who has had 4 years as HC.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm suggesting that Cron and Marshall's appointment seems to represent a new ideology.

I'll put up a more detailed post later about the history of AUS at U20 Jnr RWC, results, squads and Coaching staff. but from memory most recent Coaches have come from the full time staff at the ARU HPU.
David Nucifora was appointed HC for 3 or so years before handing over to Thompson in 2013 who has had 4 years as HC.
I'm not so sure about any new ideology at HQ.
It appears to me,that the failed outgoing 20's coach oversees the new guys.
Add in the debacle of extending Friend's contract a few months ago, all I see is business as usual.

Anyway,ideology aside,Cron is a great appointment,kudos to Bill for not fucking that up.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wonder if Cron and Marshall applied for the roles or were approached? I assume the latter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Can anyone have a crack at a possible best starting XV for next year? I tried but my limited knowledge didn't get me far.

It seems to be like we have a ripping squad and coach.

Some serious talent in some areas, e.g. the 2nd row, backrow and the backline:

Goddard, McGregor, Perese, Tuipolotu, Hutchison, Maddocks, Jooste etc etc.

How do you fit them all in?!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^The 2017 U20 Curtain Raiser Cup will/should help to sort out the genuine from the pretenders.

The "born in 1997" cohort is quite a talented bunch.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yep.

The following guys are eligible I think:

2. Jordan Uelese
3. Sham Vui
4. Harry Hockings
5. Ryan McCauley
6. Angus Scott-Young
7. Liam Wright
8. Rob Leota

9. Harry Nucifora
10. Nick Jooste
11. Liam McNamara
12. Sione Tuipolotu
13. Izaiah Perese
14. Henry Hutchinson
15. Jack Maddocks

Strong side when you consider some other guys previously mentioned (Kennewell, MacGregor). Big front row, but smaller second row than last year. Two big boppers in the backrow. I'm excited at the new prospects like Rob Valentini.

Status
Not open for further replies.