• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 Super Rugby Semi Final - Lions vs Waratahs - Saturday 28 July @11.05pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I personally thought it was a brilliant game of rugby Tahs went well but were pretty well beaten from the 20 minute mark. That is a very good Lions team.
Yes good game of rugby.

For me I thought beale was immense in probing in attack to find opportunities but in credit to lions not a lot of holes in there defence. And whilst been a fan of Miller reminded me with Smiths display that Miller very good super rugby 7 but not a test 7 which of course Smith is. Also for my mine Rona definitely played himself out of 13 for Wallabies as he just failed to stand out to say you must pick me at test 13 - just not test standard. Hodge would have to be gunning for Wallabies 13 position now.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
That sequence of play between 60 and 65 minutes when Jackson pinged the Tahs five times in succession, quickly, and then carded Fitzpatrick left a sour taste in my mouth. As a former ref I reckon that just doesn't happen, unless of course the ref''s looking at the infringements of one side only. And I totally agree with the earlier comments re the popped scrums. WTF?

But, Lions too good, flying to SAf was a bridge too far for the Tahs.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Maybe because people who actually know what refs are meant to do select the refs and not posters on the internet?? C'mon fellas I know Aus teams are never beaten without refs being bad, but I didn't think Jackson was bad. Don't rate refs on what you hear the commentators say!! because sure as shit if you can see what causes scrums to be popped etc on tv better than a ref standing next to it , you should be at least a TMO!!
No one here is even blaming him for the loss. He was just a bit shit mate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Watched the game this morning. Thought the Tahs were pretty good!

The pack just has too many workman type players and not enough big runner/hit aggressive type players. It’s geeat to have the workers and this isn’t a criticism of anyone particular in the team, but who is bending the line?

Once we get that balance, our backs who are freakishly talented, will be on their way to another final.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Watched the game this morning. Thought the Tahs were pretty good!

The pack just has too many workman type players and not enough big runner/hit aggressive type players. It’s geeat to have the workers and this isn’t a criticism of anyone particular in the team, but who is bending the line?

Once we get that balance, our backs who are freakishly talented, will be on their way to another final.
Latu mostly.

It was something Cheika identified when he first came in as well. Hence Pots. Never replaced Palu either.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
That period we were on attack with the yellow card when Taqele got subbed identified how badly we either need to find a replacement for him or vary our game plan next season. A number of times we flung it wide left expecting him to be there to run over a few blokes and get us going forward but without him we ended up just tossing it from one side of the field to another without really going anywhere.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That period we were on attack with the yellow card when Taqele got subbed identified how badly we either need to find a replacement for him or vary our game plan next season. A number of times we flung it wide left expecting him to be there to run over a few blokes and get us going forward but without him we ended up just tossing it from one side of the field to another without really going anywhere.
Credit to the Lions defence though. Shredded out wide in the first 15 and then they really shut up shop. Nullified Israel pretty well (who's not in the greatest form atm IMO).

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Credit to the Lions defence though. Shredded out wide in the first 15 and then they really shut up shop. Nullified Israel pretty well (who's not in the greatest form atm IMO).

Israel has still played the last two games pretty well for someone who has been out of form. I think part of the problem with him has been that the game plan has been predictable i.e. sling it out wide to Taqele on the left and then come back to the right for Israel to step off his right foot.

For all the talk about the one-dimensional nature of the game plan I think it's served us pretty well, getting to the semi-final and competing for most of it is a good result for a team that finished 16th last year. Cron and Gibson are smart coaches, I'm sure they'll come up with some variations next year.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Geez meant to ask how happy will Dismal be? Even the Blues beat the Lions at Ellis Park this year, so will there be calls for them to ne in finals from Pitcairn??;)

Lions finished a decidedly mediocre 9 and 7, good enough for FIFTH in NZ conference, and thats barely even playing the NZ teams, just their "but mummy, mummy, we've got all the broadcasting money so we want to purchase our free pass to the post-season NOW mummy" conference

that said, Malcolm Mawx is currently a HUGE point of difference, Mccaw-impact, Pocock 2011 level, Cantabs will have to concoct something cos at the back of the rolling maul or pilfering for turnovers he is axe-murder.
psffsNSFW, 14-0 after 10 minutes? Then by 30th minute everone except Beale looked completely knackered​

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I agree with a lot of what's being said. I think the big difference was falling off one-on-one tackles, particularly in the middle of the field, and discipline, way too many penalties inviting the Lions back into our half. While I have been very impressed with Miller, I think he fell off about four one-on-ones, and Kepu, Latu, Simmonds and Wells were each guilty of a couple.

Of the Tahs, I though Holloway was the best of the forwards (despite giving away a couple of silly penalties), Robertson works very hard without making many mistakes, and Ryan made some impact when he came on (could have been a Wallaby prop if he could scrummage!). In the backs, Beale was great, especially in the first half, Phipps has been in great form over the past three weeks, and I though Newsome put in a great shift, both in attack and defence. He has really developed over the course of this season.

For the Lions, Jantjes was good, but it was in the forwards where they absolutely dominated. Mostert was great, Marx was awesome, but my MOTM was Kwagga Smith.

I also agree with some of the comments re reffing. It has become standard practice for so many refs to look at which scrum dominates the first couple, and just award any penalty to them from then on. This is just lazy reffing, a way out for someone who really hasn't made the effort to understand what goes on in a scrum. The simple fact is, a scrum going backwards is NOT a penalty. Penalties are awarded against a scrum for wheeling, standing up, collapsing, a prop putting his hand on the ground etc. Apart from the two obvious examples where the Lions, in one the case hooker, in the other THP, clearly popped up, there was another instance where a Lions prop quite clearly put his hand down about four times to hold himself up, only for the Wallabies to be penalised.

Having said all that, there is no doubt in my mind that the Lions were the better side, and deserved the win. The Tahs, however, performed better than I expected this year, were clearly the best Aus side, and hopefully things can grow further in 2019 under Gibson & Cron.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Apart from the two obvious examples where the Lions, in one the case hooker, in the other THP, clearly popped up, there was another instance where a Lions prop quite clearly put his hand down about four times to hold himself up, only for the Wallabies to be penalised.

Is this another attempt at trolling Brumby Runner?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No one here is even blaming him for the loss. He was just a bit shit mate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yep, you right Derpus and I was wrong to say they were probably, I still think it a bit graceless to harp on about the ref, and not acknowledge just how good the Lions were. I know I know almost all fans do it, it just get's on my wick to no end, whether it Aus, NZ, SA fans or whatever! Why is it when we have a great game of rugby do we spend all our time looking for f***en negatives!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
When the guy's head comes up and out of the scrum, it's a pretty good sign he was popped. And I don't go by what the commentators say, I use my eyes.

Yep and I suspect so does a ref, and is usually in quite a good position to see why it popped!!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I believe I am fairly immune to trolling KOB.:p

As for the match, I agree with the comments about Jackson, especially in relation to the maul in which Staniforth was told to not hold the ball carrier. He came through the maul and quite legally attached himself to the ball carrier. No idea wtf Jackson was on about, but I've have long held and posted that he is not a competent referee. The harder the game, the weaker Jackson gets.

On the players, Kwagga Smith was outstanding and was MOTM for mine. Holloway was the pick of the Tahs imo.

As great as he has been for the Wallabies, this match perfectly illustrated why Sekope Kepu should now be rated as third in the THP stakes. His workload was down, gave away silly penalties including his usual "in from the side" at rucks, should have been YCed for in from the side at the maul but was saved by the fact the Lions went on to score. Along with the rest of the Tahs pack he was solidly beaten in the scrums. By his standard, it was a poor game from Kepu, but sadly indicative of his form for most of this year.

The younger guys are now consistently better and are able to play for longer periods.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Maybe because people who actually know what refs are meant to do select the refs and not posters on the internet?? C'mon fellas I know Aus teams are never beaten without refs being bad, but I didn't think Jackson was bad. Don't rate refs on what you hear the commentators say!! because sure as shit if you can see what causes scrums to be popped etc on tv better than a ref standing next to it , you should be at least a TMO!!

I agree with the sentiment about blaming refs for losses. I think it's fair enough for people to make a sensible analysis of the performance of the referee.

But I certainly don't think coaches or players should be making any comment about it.

But I do think that Jackson is a fairly ordinary (at best) referee - and I've said so for a long long time.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree with the sentiment about blaming refs for losses. I think it's fair enough for people to make a sensible analysis of the performance of the referee.

But I certainly don't think coaches or players should be making any comment about it.

But I do think that Jackson is a fairly ordinary (at best) referee - and I've said so for a long long time.

As usual, Dan puts everyone commenting about a referee in the "blaming the ref for the loss" corner, which was not what I was doing. The notion that referee performances should not be critiqued is a nonsense. Jackson was all over the shop.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yep and I suspect so does a ref, and is usually in quite a good position to see why it popped!!

Being in a position to see something and actually doing something about it is an entirely different thing. Under the laws it's quite clear regarding players standing up. I'm not sure why Jackson feels it is not. Same with props putting their hand down repeatedly. Why do you think it's OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.