• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2020 crowds and ratings

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Chiefs - Blues on Sat ranked 17th on Foxtel with 36k
Canes saders on Sunday - 20th with 34k. I tuned in with a beer at 3pm Sydney time and missed 78 mins of the game. why the fuck was it so early?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Official attendances reported by each Super Rugby Aotearoa club for the opening fortnight (note that it's standard practice to count season ticket holders as having attended whether they actually did or not):

Week one:

Highlanders v Chiefs at Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin: 19,100

Blues v Hurricanes at Eden Park, Auckland: 42,000

Week two:

Chiefs v Blues at Stadium Waikato, Hamilton: 23,874

Hurricanes v Crusaders at Sky Stadium, Wellington: 20,349

Average crowd for first four matches: 26,330

c.f. 2019 average for 39 matches played in NZ of 11,538

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...more-than-double-as-blues-eye-another-bonanza

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Official attendances reported by each Super Rugby Aotearoa club for the opening fortnight (note that it's standard practice to count season ticket holders as having attended whether they actually did or not):

Week one:

Highlanders v Chiefs at Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin: 19,100

Blues v Hurricanes at Eden Park, Auckland: 42,000

Week two:

Chiefs v Blues at Stadium Waikato, Hamilton: 23,874

Hurricanes v Crusaders at Sky Stadium, Wellington: 20,349

Average crowd for first four matches: 26,330

c.f. 2019 average for 39 matches played in NZ of 11,538

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...more-than-double-as-blues-eye-another-bonanza
great numbers to date

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
That is really disappointing . that match should be a 100k minimum

I think it's OK for the first game back, it's higher than the local derbies before the shutdown. Hopefully numbers will trend up, I reckon there would still be quite a few sitting on the fence waiting to see how things go before they reactivate their accounts.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think it's OK for the first game back, it's higher than the local derbies before the shutdown. Hopefully numbers will trend up, I reckon there would still be quite a few sitting on the fence waiting to see how things go before they reactivate their accounts.

I don't think many people would have even been aware the game was on. Little to no advertising on any form of media that I consume.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Just out of curiosity, is the figure the number of boxes that were tuned in? As an example, myself, my wife and my 2 kids were watching, and my brother from Qld and his wife and 3 kids are down and came around to watch. SO there were 4 x NSW and 5 X Qld watching from one Kayo subscription in regional NSW. I know it all averages out, just curious as to what that number of 69,000 represents? Although its probably also pertinent to mention that it's school holidays, that would have to have a negative impact on the numbers?

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
i know we would like to think about extenuating circumstances but the numbers are the numbers.

this is REALLY bad news for RA. they are in a cycle of continuous tv talks now - Bled next, then back to the table to talk about Super Rugby that starts in 8 months time.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't think many people would have even been aware the game was on. Little to no advertising on any form of media that I consume.

I think you are right, RA need to throw a couple of hundred K at some mainstream advertising and see what the impact is. There is literally no downside.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
I think you are right, RA need to throw a couple of hundred K at some mainstream advertising and see what the impact is. There is literally no downside.

RA has just gutted its staff levels and its budgets.

There is no marketing that is going to happen. People with Fox/Kayo would have seen ads on that service.

Otherwise RA needs to sell a pay tv sub to basically get non-subscribers to sign up.

They dont have the time, money or people to do that.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This week is actually the time to do it, there's a fair bit to run off:

- Waratahs v Force - return of the Force for WA fans, Waratahs will be favourites for NSW supporters.
- Rebels v Reds (being played in NSW) - barring the odd exception like dctarget, supporters from both sides have no option but to tune in from somewhere

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
i know we would like to think about extenuating circumstances but the numbers are the numbers.

this is REALLY bad news for RA. they are in a cycle of continuous tv talks now - Bled next, then back to the table to talk about Super Rugby that starts in 8 months time.
The figures seem typical of the last few years to me?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Exact same figure as round 2...

I think sunnyboys response will be that you're comparing a shit number with a shit number.

However, I'll maintain that it's not the week 1 numbers which are relevant, it's the trajectory they take from here which is important. I think we will see a steady rise as the competition's awareness takes hold. There isn't the marketing budget to properly promote it so it's going to rely on a good product and word of mouth, the latter will follow the former. I do hope they throw a few bucks at promoting it at opportune times like this week though.

Just for the exercise, the Fox viewer numbers for the 4 games rated on 7/8 February (152,000) total the same number as the games so far this weekend, not including the game currently underway. So based on the previous numbers from Sunday games you'd expect that the first week of SRA + SRAu will outrate Super Rugby v2020 by about 35K, which should be a pointer that a TT comp is worth a try for next year at least.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think sunnyboys response will be that you're comparing a shit number with a shit number.

However, I'll maintain that it's not the week 1 numbers which are relevant, it's the trajectory they take from here which is important. I think we will see a steady rise as the competition's awareness takes hold. There isn't the marketing budget to properly promote it so it's going to rely on a good product and word of mouth, the latter will follow the former. I do hope they throw a few bucks at promoting it at opportune times like this week though.

Just for the exercise, the Fox viewer numbers for the 4 games rated on 7/8 February (152,000) total the same number as the games so far this weekend, not including the game currently underway. So based on the previous numbers from Sunday games you'd expect that the first week of SRA + SRAu will outrate Super Rugby v2020 by about 35K, which should be a pointer that a TT comp is worth a try for next year at least.

Assuming today's game rates the same as yesterday's were probably looking at an average between 46-49k across the weekend. Which is not what we'd all like to see but still well beyond what pretty much every other offering on Fox Sports outside of the big 3. And once again the A-League got $37m for next season for less than half of those ratings. Which suggests that 1)A TT competition is more popular and financially viable and 2) if they go with the simplest format being a 10-12 team home and away format then it should be worth at least as much likely more than the A-League deal.

Because Fox with that deal has set down a marker on value for a league that is performing well below our alternative offerings here.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just going through all of the ratings figures posted on this thread, and three of the top five rated matches posted have featured NZ teams, including two matches in the NZ timezone.........

Reds v Waratahs 69,000

Crusaders v Waratahs 66,000

Waratahs v Blues 61,000

Chiefs v Brumbies 56,000

Rebels v Waratahs 55,000

Brumbies v Reds 52,000

Brumbies v Rebels 49,000 (Round 2)

Brumbies v Rebels 49,000 (Round 1 reboot)

Reds v Sunwolves 49,000

Blues v Chiefs 43,000

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
The reason I find these numbers disappointing is twofold:
Firstly, Oz rugby fans are acutely aware due to political Shit fight that ended with Castle getting axed, and the players having pay cuts that the game is in absolute dire straits - this has all come about after the Super Rugby has its initial start -
Secondly, Oz rugby fans have (like other sports fans) been starved of live sport - and live rugby in particular. Fans from other sports responded to the return of games with huge ratings numbers.

It appears nothing can motivate the Australian rugby community to return to Watching the game - or at least paying to watch the game.

If the two biggest rugby states can only pull 69k after all that has happen... well I don’t think we can expect to see numbers above that any time soon.

I would have thought 100k would have been reasonable after all that has happened and considering how other sports fans have reacted.