• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Yes Jets I would say a least 5 Tigers will be in the Qld U20 squad - Placid(#15), Gunn (#7), Fatal (#4/#6), Deck (#9) and Wilkin (#7).

Of these I'd say that the first 3 would have got a start against Sydney Uni on 22/3/14.

But having said that I am sure Sydney Uni will also have a host of guys required for the U20 tournament in Canberra which runs 21-26 March.

TT

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Syd Uni will probably field at best a 2nd/3rd Grade side with a few senior players. A number are contracted or 'invited' players who will participate in the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) (Possible game day collisions ?)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I appreciate that the Sydney Uni 2013 GF side would have contained a number of players that will be required for S15, whereas the only Easts players that will be involved in S15 game day squads would be Ed Quirk (Reds), Aidan Toua (Reds) & Jarrad Butler(Brumbies).

And he no longer plays for Easts...........

Since signing with the Brumbies Jarrad Butler's club is now Tuggeranong Vikings.........

T

Tigers Tale

And he no longer plays for Easts.....

Since signing with the Brumbies Jarrad Butler's club is now Tuggeranong Vikings...

I am we'll aware of that I was just illustrating who would be missing from our 2013 finals squad. You can add Michael Stolberg to that list as he's also moved to Canberra to play for one of the clubs there it might be the Vikings.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
But having said that I am sure Sydney Uni will also have a host of guys required for the U20 tournament in Canberra which runs 21-26 March.

Easts shouldn't worry too much about losing players from their first grade team because Sydney Uni will have barely any of theirs.

I don't know who will be in their best first XV in 2014 but of the XV that ran-on in the 2013 Grand Final for Uni:

- 12 played Super Rugby last year (a majority of them as starters) including four Wallabies.

- 1 was in the Oz Sevens team

- 1 played in the Oz U/20s for two years and is now the Tahs' 2nd string hooker

- 1 played in a Tahs trial against the Crusaders

I'm not sure how many Under 20s, who would otherwise be available to replace these guys, won't be available because they haven't picked the NSW Colts team yet. But Uni would probably use 2nd Grade senior players as 2nd choice instead anyway.

T

Tigers Tale

Thanks Lee Grant - so it will be a tale of the unknown for both clubs then as to who runs out on the day.

It is a shame that both clubs won't be anywhere near full strength. But nice trip to Brisbane for your reggies.

One of the clubs will have to wear an alternate strip as they both wear blue and gold hoops. Easts wore an alternate strip when they last clashed in 2009 at Homebush.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
So Easts played in that game too? I saw it—I think it was a curtain-raiser before a Tahs v Crusaders match.

It was a good game of footie and Easts deserved their win.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thanks Lee Grant - so it will be a tale of the unknown for both club then as to who runs out on the day.

It is a shame that both clubs won't be anywhere near full strength. But nice trip to Brisbane for your reggies.

One of the clubs will have to wear an alternate strip as they both wear blue and gold hoops. Easts wore an alternate strip when they last clashed in 2009 at Homebush.

I'm not sure that LG would be too pleased about your implicit linking him with Sydney Uni, TT.

With regard to it being a "nice trip to Brisbane" for Uni, you can take it as read that the team irrespective of who is not available will be well-coached and well-conditioned and will treat the match as a very serious contest. And I would imagine, given the proud history of both clubs, there will be no post-match excuses from the loser.

T

Tigers Tale

LG that was indeed before the Tahs v Crusaders in 2009.

Andrew Walker (who was playing for Easts at the time) turned the game on its head in the second half.

Here is a link to some still photos of the contest.

http://www.seiserphotography.com/library/Sports%20Photography/Rugby%20Union/Club%20Rugby/Qld-ACT%20Comp/Easts(QLD)/

BR - I think Sydney Uni has probably got a longer history and more distinguished old boys list than the Tigers but it will be a willing contest at David Wilson Oval, Bottomley Park with hopefully a big crowd in attendance.

There will be no excuses but I think Sydney Uni would have to start favourites!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They certainly would have a longer history as they started in 1863.

If that last match was anything to go by it's going to be worth watching so I hope that they get a good crowd for the club's sake.

…… irrespective of who is not available will be well-coached and well-conditioned and will treat the match as a very serious contest.

Agree Bruce, they will take it very seriously and all the more this year.

The Shute Shield will end earlier in 2014 due to the commencement of the NRC in August, which means that the Super Rugby blow-ins who usually appear at the money end of the season will likely play fewer games.

I say "likely" because I haven't cross-checked with the Super Rugby draw—and a revised version of the Shute Shield draw won't be available for a while I expect, anyway.

On the face of it it looks like the players who would normally be Grand Final 2nd Graders will be playing the bulk of the season in the Ones.

Therefore the game against Brisbane Easts will take the form of a first grade trial and they will all have the motivation of wanting to run-on in Round One, then hold their spot.

That said, the 2nd Grade 2013 Grand Final Sydney Uni team, most of whom will be appearing against Brisbane Easts, had some good players.

Not too many club 1st Grade teams would have had a better front row of King, Wilan and Talakai during the 2013 Super season. Flanker Melrose and lock Heslop were handy players as were 12. McMahon and 15. Nathan Trist, who got on the park for the Waratahs last year.

They'll play some good rugby.

T

Tigers Tale

No one is ever ready for the changing room conditions at Tigerland.

Reg & Jets this thing about the sheds at Tigerland is a bit tough as I don't think they are the worst in the comp - the sheds at Brothers, Wests, GPS, Bond Uni, Norths, Souths, even Qld Uni are all that great either. Jets Sunnybank aren't like Twickenham either.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I just like a changing room that the entire team can fit in. I'm not saying they are the worst though.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Was in at Southbank today for Australia Day and saw a guy getting around in a West Sydney Rams shirt.

Interest in the third tier is building.

T

Tigers Tale

The King Re Brad Wilkin

Apparently Wilkin does have a shoulder injury which is going to keep him out for the first half of the season - so unfortunately for him and Easts he won't be able to step into Michael Gunn's shoes whilst he is tied up with the U20s.

Status
Not open for further replies.