• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Sounds like the North Sydney team will be referred to as 'North Harbour'. Gordon have a tie-in with UTS so assume they'll be involved to some degree.
I like how this is progressing with the Universities - very smart move. Seeing the news about Blake Ferguson and other mungo atrocities makes me think, the further we move away from that game the better.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
North Syd team will be referred to as North Harbour with the 4 clubs involved. Gordon has a tie-in with UTS so assume they will be involved.
I'm loving this university link - reading about Blake Feguson and other mungo atrocities means we need to play more and more to our strength and steer as far away from the mungos as possible. Their pre-season news reel has been disgusting reading this year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
North Syd team will be referred to as North Harbour with the 4 clubs involved. Gordon has a tie-in with UTS so assume they will be involved.
I'm loving this university link - reading about Blake Feguson and other mungo atrocities means we need to play more and more to our strength and steer as far away from the mungos as possible. Their pre-season news reel has been disgusting reading this year.

And guess what? The more atrocities, the higher the ratings.

We used to be purer than the driven snow, but fortunately we chose survival instead. In professional sport, no publicity is bad publicity.

Yes, we should build on our strengths, but frankly the paying audience is interested in being entertained, not uplifted.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Give it a rest.
The NRL have made a stand and not yet registered the guy you are complaining about.
There are plenty that have played for the Wallabies that are thankful for section 10's & other first offender programs.
What's so good about the University link? Do UTS even field any Rugby teams?
Macquarie Uni?
The giants of fourth division subbies?
UNSW second division subbies?

T

Train Without a Station

What is so good is the sports science/medicine infrastructure that the Universities can offer. Any uni with this program would have the infrastructure and staff in place to be a great asset to any professional sporting team.

I can't vouch for what programs/degrees/faculties any uni offer though. That may be a major point of difference. For instance, as far as I'm aware, Griffith do not offer the same in this regard as Bond Uni does on the GC.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
you guys seem to think its a link with the university rugby clubs. Its most definitely not so all around. Most of all its the universities as institutions themselves that are willing to support the franchises, though you couldn't have multiple pairings like Bruce suggests you would basically have to have exclusive commercial agreements in most cases. The two exceptions are USyd and UNSW

T

TOCC

Infrastructure is a major point, Bond Univeristy for example last year purchased the Gold Coast Titans Centre of Excellence and has been quite vocal about integrating sports into tertiary education. They have a redeveloped field and facilities located on campus and their sports science facilities have received an enormous increase in funding in the lead up to the Commonwealth Games.

Griffith historically have had little interest in territory sports and have been slower off the mark in this area, but they have taken over from Bond as a major sponsor of the Reds in 2014 so that might be an indicator of increased interest in that area.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Well 'I like to watch'. I would have thought that the benefits of linking with Unis are fairly obvious, even to you. Apart from offending the long standing subbies clubs who you mention, who would not really have anything to do with the NRC teams, the benefits would be...
The enourmous resources they have, viz training groundsm gyms, sports science...
The same very benefits that see most hate Sydney Uni such as academic scholarships, networks, alumni etc.
SO you think copying the NRL model is the right way to go? Mate there have been some pretty shocking atrocities in mungo land over the last couple of weeks. Which Wallabies are you referring to ( in say the last 10 years) have been convicted of sexual assault or going to jail after jumping on a blokes head?

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
yep and their website is crowing that they had 20 to training. massive club that gets zero exposure at the Uni.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Well 'I like to watch'. I would have thought that the benefits of linking with Unis are fairly obvious, even to you. Apart from offending the long standing subbies clubs who you mention, who would not really have anything to do with the NRC teams, the benefits would be.
The enourmous resources they have, viz training groundsm gyms, sports science.
The same very benefits that see most hate Sydney Uni such as academic scholarships, networks, alumni etc.
SO you think copying the NRL model is the right way to go? Mate there have been some pretty shocking atrocities in mungo land over the last couple of weeks. Which Wallabies are you referring to ( in say the last 10 years) have been convicted of sexual assault or going to jail after jumping on a blokes head?
I accept,my original reply was too curt,but we should both wind it back a peg.
I can't see how I have offended any clubs,I just stated what comp they are in.
The advantages you list,I see are as a result of strong networking from ex players/supporters.
The faculties supporting the Rugby,are based more on the personal,than corporate objectives.Where are the drivers for individual faculties and Colleges to get on board and invest their time,efforts and resources to assist some JV that the Uni may or may not have a genuine stake in?
I just don't see the playing fields,or gyms available through Universities are unique to them,or even superior than what is readily available.

I just don't see the tie in with League in this topic.
But I have zero tolerance for branding anyone with an association with the other code as inferior.
There are good and bad that play both codes.I prefer to base my judgements on actions rather than allegiances.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
OK - my point was that rugby needs to play to its strengths rather than try and take other codes on with their way of doing things, Rugby has its own unique attributes that can differentiate it and help grow the code. Using the vast infrastructure that Unis ( and private schools) have means less capital outlay for the code as a whole. Rugby doesn't have massive Leagues Clubs full of poker machines to help fund it so things like Foundations and the above are ways that rugby will compete.

djeff

Allen Oxlade (6)
lets not forget that last years federal budget included a slashing of the university funding. I wonder if that will affect things

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Any News on the Canberra Team, will it be a Joint Venture of John Dent Cup teams ? or will it be the Vikings ? Probably the closest Club to a professional club while not being one.

Does making them the NRC club then drive all players from other clubs to Vikings for a gig, and in turn make them unbeatable at JD level ? Do the Brumbies who are allocated out to different clubs then not get picked for the NRC because they play for the Eagles.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
lets not forget that last years federal budget included a slashing of the university funding. I wonder if that will affect things

Whilst uni top level budgets where cut, because of the uncapping of places, they shoved more money into marketing. There's alot more money being flung around by the uni's now because they have to compete for students. If there's any sport that you can use in marketing terms to "verify" a university if you will, its rugby. Most of the deals with the universities have probably already been finalised anyway.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Any News on the Canberra Team, will it be a Joint Venture of John Dent Cup teams ? or will it be the Vikings ? Probably the closest Club to a professional club while not being one.

I believe there were two submissions:

1. Brumbies stand alone
2. Brumbies and Vikings joint venture

Does making them the NRC club then drive all players from other clubs to Vikings for a gig, and in turn make them unbeatable at JD level ? Do the Brumbies who are allocated out to different clubs then not get picked for the NRC because they play for the Eagles.

No.

If the Vikings put in a successful bid their Canberra team would be a separate entity to the JID Tuggeranong Vikings, just like when Vikings were in the ARC and the Qld and NSW club competitions in the past.........

T

Train Without a Station

What is meant by separate entity though Slim? Would coaching/club staff possibly have roles at both?

I guess that's where the concern is that players will naturally gravitate towards these entities under the premise they feel they have a better chance of being selected out of JID Cup if they are there.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, I can't give you specifics (will have to leave that to someone more knowledgable), but if previous results are anything to go by the Vikings inclusion in the ARC, Shute Shield and Queensland Premier comp didn't translate into success for Tuggeranong in the John I Dent Cup during those years.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom