• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

In response to you Quick Hands:
"Like some others, you are confusing the aims of the BBL with the aims of rugby 3T. They aren't the same or even similar."

Absolutely they are different beasts for one the BBL is profitable and successful - the only parallel is that by allowing players to play for interstate sides means that you ensure that the best available players suited to the T20 game in Australia are playing and that for example the 2nd keeper in Tasmania can move to Adelaide and get a run rather than sitting on the bench in Hobart.

Don't we want the 8 next best #9, #10, #7 & #2 all getting a starting position in the NRC rather than having them all signed to the top 4 teams, and sharing game time. That way they also get to test themselves against the best in their position every week.

Whilst I am on sharing game time and yesterday reserves getting a run suggestion - what does a guy get from coming off the bench for 5 minutes like some teams seem to do in S15. I mean Sean Hardman played 100+ games for Queensland and 90 of them were off the bench - apologies to Sean but even he freely admits that a number off his caps were tokenism under the modern usage of reserves. Not like the good old days...

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
From Southern Districts website:

"Your Board has been represented at two meetings one with the Eastern Suburbs and Randwick Clubs and again with a Western Sydney Group of Clubs (namely West Harbour, Parramatta, Penrith and Eastwood) and have submitted preliminary expressions of interest along those lines. I am aware that there has been an expression of interest submitted by a Northern Sydney Sub-Regional Group (consisting of Northern Suburbs, Manly Warringah and Gordon). I am further advised that the Sydney University RUFC have submitted a stand-alone submission as has Randwick RUFC."

Waradog

Stan Wickham (3)
Has anyone thought of just finding out how the Kiwi's deal with this "3rd Tier" issue? Or maybe the Saffas? Surely the wheel has been invented in some respect and though their system may not be perfect, the dominance of Canterbury springs to mind pretty quickly, at least they have been running a system that we could use as a working example.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Granted the promo's for the latest version of Underbelly #23 or some Talent Show are tacky at least it has moved on from the 1980's.

Shute Shield on the ABC in 2014 will be broadcast exactly the same as it was circa 1984. One game a week at 3pm on a Saturday, same number of cameras, same graphics.

Few sports competitions could make that claim.

The only positive is that at least Tom Waterhouse is not on the broadcast.

I think that the ABC does an excellent and professional job of televising the Shute Shield. They certainly make the most of the limited resources they have available.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Certainly does have the class, polish, 4,000 camera angles & 9 special effects mics of a Super game, but I think it does alright. Let's face it the quality of the rugby is no where near Super either. (Cue howling)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Don't we want the 8 next best #9, #10, #7 & #2 all getting a starting position in the NRC rather than having them all signed to the top 4 teams, and sharing game time. That way they also get to test themselves against the best in their position every week.
I think you'll find that the best players will be getting a run. Assuming that there are 3 teams in Sydney for example, each of the Sydney teams would have 2 players for each position based on squads of 30. Is it seriously suggested that the 7th best player in Sydney should be sent to Melbourne or Perth instead of those sides using the best player from their own competition? How does sending the 7th best player from Sydney help provide a pathway for players in non-traditional rugby cities?

Cricket already have a vibrant club scene in every state, they don't need to use BBL to spread the game, it's purely entertainment - we need 3T to strengthen 2T and 4T, particularly in non-rugby states. We have to think long-term, 2024 not 2014.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Who says the 7th best in Sydney,will be in a position to, or have an interest in,terminating his lease,resigning his job and leaving any personal relationships he might have.
To move interstate for 3 or more months for the princely sum of $5-10k?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Certainly does have the class, polish, 4,000 camera angles & 9 special effects mics of a Super game, but I think it does alright. Let's face it the quality of the rugby is no where near Super either. (Cue howling)
It certainly doesn't have the intensity of a super match or even an ITM or Currie Cup match, but mostly the televised match is quite entertaining. It has something to do with the fact that less training means that the defences are less well organised, also that there aren't sheep stations riding on it and mostly the guys seem to be enjoying themselves. Scrums are also a contest for the ball, rather than a contest to obtain a penalty, which seems to be the case in provincial and test rugby.

It could be argued that during the dark days of Hickey/Foley that SS provided the best rugby on offer in NSW.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
I think that the ABC does an excellent and professional job of televising the Shute Shield. They certainly make the most of the limited resources they have available.

The criticism is not of the ABC but how Shute Shield has gone nowhere in the last thirty years as a sporting competition. The ABC are still in there, the commercial stations don't even flash the scores up on the screen on a Saturday Night news bulletin and the papers only give a short article to match of the round. In the eighties they gave a full page and covered all games.

The one attempt at expanding the competitions both in Sydney Shute Shield and Premier Rugby Brisbane involved the Canberra Vikings. Vikings are no longer part of either competition.

It is important for the clubs to be involved, (via affiliation agreements) for improved player pathways. The new third tier would be we'll advised to steer clear of a management that produces a competition that has not developed or evolved in 30 years.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Bruce, The QRU would have to pay the abc (as does the SRU)
for telecasting premier rugby and to do this the QRU would have to stop siphoning off the ARU Premier rugby funding to the Reds program. (Que howls of lies lies lies by QRU Ceo)

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's absurd, sfr. Isn't it available on iView? A major priority for the QRU/ARU should be to get the Brisbane Premiership back on TV.

I do record it & watch it at a more convienent time for me. But yes stil absurd. On both fronts. However I am a little lothe to complain to loudly............. the alternative is nothing at all.

edit - Even I don't hate the SS that much. ;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The criticism is not of the ABC but how Shute Shield has gone nowhere in the last thirty years as a sporting competition. The ABC are still in there, the commercial stations don't even flash the scores up on the screen on a Saturday Night news bulletin and the papers only give a short article to match of the round. In the eighties they gave a full page and covered all games.
Just another illustration of how far rugby has fallen in the biggest rugby city in the country. NSWRU are largely responisble for this situation as our sport has not followed the expansion of Sydney in the past 30-40 years.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting that some earlier posts have mentioned the BBL when discussing the NRC. The BBL is successful as it's a very different product to test or ODI cricket and probably attracts spectators who are not that interested in the longer forms of the game. Is this what Pulver is looking for with his suggested rule changes? I certainly hope not as that would defeat the purpose ie to develop players for S15 and Wallaby selection.

The other comment I'd make about the BBL v NRC is that the levels below the BBL (ie Sheffield Shield / club cricket) don't have anywhere near the tribal loyalties that club rugby has and so shifting players from one BBL franchise to another doesn't seem to confuse the fans as in most cases they probaby don't know which state or club the players play for anyway.

I'd also question whether the BBL has the objective of preparing players for the other forms of the game -- it's more a money spinner, although there have been some obvious exceptions eg Dave Warner.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I remember in the early 90's there was a report on each game in the Sunday paper.

T

Train Without a Station

The coach, I think you're overstating the tribal loyalties that club rugby has.

I say this mainly due to it's lack of progression and even slip from relevance over the years.

The reason News programs don't cover it at all and the papers give minimal coverage is because the vast majority of people don't seem give a shit. If enough people wanted to hear/read about it, there would be more coverage.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the tribalism in club rugby is more related to the clubs than the players.

I think people like having a team to fiercely support but I think the players playing for that team only have a very limited impact.

Unless it is a really divisive player, I don't think fans have much of a problem of adjusting to supporting a new player in their team.

B

BellyTwoBlues

I guess that's the problem with not having enough lawyers on the ARU Board:
View attachment 4357

Bring back the rule where you couldn't kick out on the full from your 22 and have a lineout where it went out. Stop that, the game changes. Bring back rucking if hands are on the ball or someone is lying all over it. With the fitness levels now at an all time high, those two rule changes will make our game exactly what it should be..................the number 1 winter sport world wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.