• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

4th Bledisloe in Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
From my shoes, Deans only has one gameplan and is very blinkered in selection and positioning of those selections.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Lawrence let them lie on our ball a LOT and come in from the side - the thing is, our blokes weren't smart enough to return the favour. There was one point where we're pressuring their line and Woodcock steps into the tackle area from the side, sticks his hands in the ruck, and yanks it out. At least two infringements there and Lawrence signals play on with a shrug. At least he had the balls to take the TMO out of the equation for Hynes' try.

Its worth pointint out that Lawrence wasn't nearly the issue: the ABs bombed at least two more tries and we were never in the game.

I'm disappointed with Elsom's captaincy. Dead rubber, down by 10. Go for posts??? Fark that shows no confidence in your set piece, not that he had much reason.

We lost both the lineout (heavily) and the scrum (marginally), though Lawrence penalised us once for wheeling when it looked like good scrummaging to me. Once again our ruck work wasn't good enough throughout the game (though brilliant at points) and we just let them dictate terms to us. Throw in our shitty discipline (again Elsom needs to aim up on this) and we can feel lucky we only lost by that margin.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And, as easily predicted, TSF is going mental with calls to sack everyone involved in Hynes' try :lmao:

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
NTA said:
Lawrence let them lie on our ball a LOT and come in from the side - the thing is, our blokes weren't smart enough to return the favour. There was one point where we're pressuring their line and Woodcock steps into the tackle area from the side, sticks his hands in the ruck, and yanks it out. At least two infringements there and Lawrence signals play on with a shrug. At least he had the balls to take the TMO out of the equation for Hynes' try.

I dreamt about that last night. It was because I went to sleep trying to figure out some labyrinthine logic for how it could possibly be illegal instead of a yellow card. Absolutely criminal!

NTA said:
Its worth pointint out that Lawrence wasn't nearly the issue: the ABs bombed at least two more tries and we were never in the game.

Absolutely.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Nah not many calling for Lawrence's head NTA although if we'd lost it'd be a bit different... As I said over there, it's not Lawrence's fault the Japs couldn't sort their shit out, and he called it as he saw it. Funnily enough we're all happily criticising the Jaapie twat for that non-try awarding bullshit call, but no-one is asking the real question:

WHERE THE FUCK WAS THE ASS REF IF NOT THERE TO SEE IF IT WAS SCORED?

The useless little fluffyBunny ;) clearly can't speak English or Japanese, or run a touch line. No place for someone like that near a NZ v Aus Test.

Fist, Skull, Brain.

J

junior

NTA said:
And, as easily predicted, TSF is going mental with calls to sack everyone involved in Hynes' try :lmao:

I wouldn't laugh too hard - have you not seen naza's thread about the AB coaches bribing refs?

I'm disappointed with Elsom's captaincy. Dead rubber, down by 10. Go for posts??? Fark that shows no confidence in your set piece, not that he had much reason.
Did you notice guys like Horwill and Fat Cat bitching at him quite a bit too? Thought he looked completely dejected after the game and not in "jeez I'm gutted we lost" kind of way. It was more a "fuck my team mates are muppets - what have I gotten myself into?" kind of way.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NTA, agree re the Elsom / kick call.

Junior, I remember Eales being a pretty crap captain for his first few tests.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Very subjective junior. He was probably dejected because he hates to lose. I don't think anyone honestly believes that the captain makes all the decisions - its about a leadership group at any level of rugby because the experience is what you need. But:

Noddy said:
NTA, agree re the Elsom / kick call.

The kick is always the skipper's call. If you're gonna lose, at least do it with a bit of style I say and try to get over the line. Even if you get done because you missed all your kicks, at least give your forwards a chance to maul it over when you get a penalty in the 22.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Elsom was pretty "direct" in the interview after the game. Basically said a bunch of shithouse midfield bombs cost us our chance of getting back into the game. Probably true, but we lost the breakdown and lineout again.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
our skipper dropping the ball in the first minute or two didn't exactly give us the start we wanted either.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
It was obviously that we would lose 5 seconds into the seconds half. The All Blacks have come from behind in the second half so many times against the Wallabies recently, and it is because the Wallabies come out flat and the All Blacks come out fired up.

Anyone else notice that the Wallabies were hitting rucks hard and in numbers for the first 30-odd minutes? It was as if they learnt their lesson. Then in the second half it was the same old crap.

Agree that J'OC should've been subbed after the Smith try - I would've brought on Mitchell. J'OC is too young/too small/too inexperienced for this level. Maybe if he was just 1 or 2 out of those 3 he might be OK, but he's not.

Oh, and not surprised by our lineout. It's been pretty poor all year.

Dean Mumm? He's a right idiot. No impact and stupid penalty.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jeez Ash, if you were using those two criteria then our whole team are idiots. That was a pretty silly penalty to give away, but the ref hadn't blown the whistle for the marginal offside so what is he supposed to do?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Ash said:
Oh, and not surprised by our lineout. It's been pretty poor all year.

Dean Mumm? He's a right idiot. No impact and stupid penalty.

The lineout was obviously going to be fucked and Deans was too slow to react. Mumm + Sharpe to fix it, with Jimmy learning from the bench. There's about a million lineouts a game - can't just hope for improvement.

C

chief

Deans need to have bought on attacking reserves when the Wallabies really needed a try. Attacking players like Cooper. Really could have kept them into the game. The ruck was constantly disrupted by the AB's cynical infringements and unnoticed infringements by Mark Lawrence. Really should have gone yellow in the first half.

I'm starting to think Robbie isn't bringing on reserves to save them from paying them that huge match fee.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
The bench "policy" seemed to be a very strange one. Admittedly it was after a hundred beers that I caught the end of the game but it didnt seem as though the bench had been used in a timely, effective, thoughtful and impactful way.

Thought the tone of the game was set very early on when So'oialo was offside in just about every NZ defensive ruck but got away with it. Then AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) gets pinged for coming in at the side on an Aus offensive ruck. WTF? And, as usual, plenty of occasions when Macaw was not the dominant tackler but comes in as the second tackler to make sure the tackle has been made and then blatantly stands the wrong side of the ruck claiming rights to the ball as the original tackler. Complete BS but amazing skill and deceit to keep on doing it and keep on getting away with it.

On another note, one wonders wow Mssrs Tuquiri and Waugh must be feeling at the moment......

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
TheRiddler said:
The bench "policy" seemed to be a very strange one. Admittedly it was after a hundred beers that I caught the end of the game but it didnt seem as though the bench had been used in a timely, effective, thoughtful and impactful way.

Thought the tone of the game was set very early on when So'oialo was offside in just about every NZ defensive ruck but got away with it. Then AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) gets pinged for coming in at the side on an Aus offensive ruck. WTF? And, as usual, plenty of occasions when Macaw was not the dominant tackler but comes in as the second tackler to make sure the tackle has been made and then blatantly stands the wrong side of the ruck claiming rights to the ball as the original tackler. Complete BS but amazing skill and deceit to keep on doing it and keep on getting away with it.

On another note, one wonders wow Mssrs Tuquiri and Waugh must be feeling at the moment......

I think Tuqiri would be pretty happy because if he were playing he'd be the scape goat no doubt.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
chief said:
I'm starting to think Robbie isn't bringing on reserves to save them from paying them that huge match fee.

the 22 get the match fee regardless of win or loss. 80 mins or none.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
We're no longer the intelligent team we were reknowned for. We're predictable and unable to adapt to any change in game plan. What happened to the deans mantra of "play what's infront you"? Is the gameplan they take into each game too specific? Buggers me but it pisses me off losing this much.

Our defense is rubbish and our backs seem rudderless. We are shithouse and all of the northern hemisphere teams will be licking there lips at the thought of belting us.

Status
Not open for further replies.