• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

6 Nations 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Ashton gives me the shits.

I want to punch the man. Took both of his tries like a complete wanker.

Sadly it was more headless chook stuff from Wales last night. Poor decision making is almost the defining aspect of their game lately.

I think Bradley Davies (Welsh number 4 lock) is becoming pretty handy however, saw shades of the good side of Bakkies Botha in him last night.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If anyone needs punching it's ESPN's poor attempt at trying to make the 6N coverage interesting. They should really just show the games. The studio mob is embarassing and a veiled excuse for punting their betting advertiser.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My thoughts after the first round of the 6N.

1. The refereeing of the breakdown appears to have changed again from what we saw on the EYOT. The tackled players have an eternity to place/release the ball.

2. The scrum is becoming a blight on the game. It is a lottery who will get the penality/free kick at scrum. In three games there were a multitude of scrums and only perhaps 5 or 6 completed. What a disaster. I want to see a return to the scrum being a true contest for possession not a contest between who gets the "hit" or who the ref gives the 50:50 call to, or the ref deciding to penalise a scrum when he has altered his timing of the calls. Furthermore int he Frog V Scot game it was so apparrent that a half time refereeing conference took place that basically caused a turn around from France being totally dominant to them giving away multiple penalties. There is an easy solution - remove the "hit". The laws make to reference to the hit in any event, just engagement. Ref to call the scrums together as in the old days, square and steady then feed ball INTO BLOODY CENTRE!!!! FFS just give us a true contest that the scrum is supposed to be.

3. The England Wales game was dire IMO. I have no idea what Gatland was thinking when he decided on a game plan that required his forwards to attempt to bash through the English. The Welsh line speed in defence was also poor allowing the Poms front foot position at most breakdowns, much the same as Australia did on the EOYT.

4. The Italy V Ireland game went as expected pretty much. Read point 2 again. The Italians have no real backline play at all, just a lighter variant of the forward two up drive into the line. This has been apparent for a few years now and I wonder if it isn't so much the relative lack of play makers or the coach. Malet played a very similar game with the Boks.

5. The Scot V France game was the highlight of the games. As I said regarding the Australian victory on the EOYT, too much was read into that result with the French fielding a very experimental team. Last night saw a line-up much closer to what could be expected at the RWC and it showed in both attack and defence. There are still a few holes in defence but the accuracy and flair in attack were there for all to see. It will be interesting to see them away from home. Again read points 1 and 2 again. It is interesting to note that Scotland with Parks at 10 attack more effectively with their backs than Italy even though IMO the quality of their roster is much the same, hence my thought that perhaps it is Mallet's style that is confining them to the forward & back barge style.

From the first game I would have to say my feelings about the result of the 6N is pretty close with France winning again, followed by England and Wales.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
From what I saw over the weekend I think France will win, England second and I hope Scotland finish third followed by Wales, Ireland and Italy.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
That Scottish scrum is a shambles. Their locks looked horrible in how they packed. Damn shame that they have made good improvements in other areas but a traditional strength in their scrum looks like shit.

The Scots used the short passing game well against the French and showed good endevour. They lack pace in the backs though. Good to see the Scots have a go as I must confess that I have a soft spot for them.

Reactions: DPK

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
That Scottish scrum is a shambles. Their locks looked horrible in how they packed. Damn shame that they have made good improvements in other areas but a traditional strength in their scrum looks like shit.

The Scots used the short passing game well against the French and showed good endevour. They lack pace in the backs though. Good to see the Scots have a go as I must confess that I have a soft spot for them.

The locks were to blame for Murray getting folded like an escargot.

The captain behind him had his arse in the air. Terrible technique at test level. I can't believe that's the same team that beat the boks a few months ago.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I had a massive issue with the second last scrum before the penalty try was awarded. Scotland had been penalised a number of times when at least one of them was the result of the surface slipping away. Then the French LHP takes the scrum down (trying to get the penalty try) and Barnes just gets them to repack. He should have penalised the French and the Scots should have kicked the ball down the other end.

In saying all of that they were torn a second one in every other scrum on the day.

I thought Richie Gray was great around the field.

M

macg101

feel sorry for Italy, was the best ive ever seen them play, i didnt think we were that bad even.. just poor finishing frankly...

I bloody miss when we used to be able to appreciate our rugby team for what they were and not get so bothered about our reputation! The abuse that great servants of Irish sport give in their twilight years is a shame

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
I was fortunate to be at the France Scotland game playing tour guide for our very own Scarfie.

On Gnostic's comment re the second half scrum, the ref's sympathies certainly appeared to go towards the Scots but rightly so on two occasions when Chabal put the shove on before the ball was rolled in. The frogs looked the goods on the night to take out the 6N and showed good depth with the reserves only adding to the pain inflicted. But they can switch off at times to let in relatively cheap tries and as has been said above, you just never know which French side will turn up on the night.

I thought Trinh-Duc had a top game and asked questions of the defense all night - check out his Harlem Globe Trotters trick pass in the lead up to the Hairy Donkey try. He also put on a crunching tackle to get the turnover for the first French try.

IMO, Dan Parks was ordinary and gets the cleanest jersey award. His second half replacement set up a try with almost his first touch by actually taking the ball to the line before offloading.

[video=youtube;ZQ8xsNG0m-4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ8xsNG0m-4[/video]

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I had already been in Paris for 2 days on a shopping death march when 3pm Saturday came around – time to meet Paris Tah at an Irish Pub to watch Ireland play Italy. My holiday had started at last.

After watching a feeble Ireland dribble over the line against Italy, it was time to head north on the RER Ligne B to St Denis-Stade de France. Given that it's a brand new stadium, I was surprised how far it was from the train station (about 25mins walk). Worse still, there's no beer in the Stade, but Paris Tah’s local knowledge paid off here by having a couple of excellent baguette-dogs and beers on the way.

The game was exciting, with lots of tries, and the inevitable French win. The French scrum was too powerful and the French backs too athletic for the “courageous” (i.e. shithouse) Scots to have much chance. Having said that, they were effective in the back row and probably got the better of their superstar opposition, especially Hardonadonkey, who might have looked great on TV, but at the game was generally on the opposite wing catching his breath. The crowd favourites were Parra (who really is much better than Yachvili) and of course the Caveman.

The crowd was fantastic and friendly, which is just as well, given the complete abortion of traffic management from the French. Imagine 78,000 people all trying to get through the same couple of holes. It took about half an hour just to get onto the street. The queues for the train were so long that we stopped for a couple of beers at the station. When we got back into the queue, they were still half an hour long, and just as we were going to get on the train, all transport came to a halt due to a suicide up the track. So, we had to walk to the other train station half an hour away. The queue there was just as bad so had ANOTHER couple of beers at THAT station. Got back to Paris at 11 or 12 and after failing to get into the OzCafe (which bizarrely turns into a nightclub after dark), had one last nightcap at a little bar.

But all up, an excellent night out. Cheers Paris Tah, cheers Paris.

P.S. Rougerie had the cleanest jersey, PT, as he always does.

Attachments

• PT and Scarf.JPG
    PT and Scarf.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 222

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Well represented fellas

Stade de France - beautiful stadium, shithouse access

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
If anyone needs punching it's ESPN's poor attempt at trying to make the 6N coverage interesting. They should really just show the games. The studio mob is embarassing and a veiled excuse for punting their betting advertiser.

Yeah... especially Russell Barwick who absolutely despises rugby.... its a disgrace that he is chairing it... spent the best part of his career bagging the game

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Really wanting Italy to put in consistent solid performances in this tournament, would be great to see them keep off the bottom of the ladder.

When they didn't finish last a few years back, managed to get 4th and scored a win against Wales it resulted in a lot more interest in the game in Italy. Now in 2011, about 5 years since then, it's time for the Italians to start posting some more wins as it doesn't seem like they have made much (if any) improvement since then just by their results.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Really wanting Italy to put in consistent solid performances in this tournament, would be great to see them keep off the bottom of the ladder.

With Italy's players finally playing a higher level of rugger consistently this WC probably came a year or two too soon.

Great to see them playing rugger that I generally enjoyed watching.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good reports Paris Tah and Scarfie.

On that form France will be favourites for 6N and will also be favourites to beat Ireland away next weekend, the way they played in Rome. You never know though: French form is so volatile. At least Lièvremont is getting his selections right. Harinordoquy had a blinder and should have never been dropped from the 22 against Oz on form. Medard, in for Pallison, should never have been dropped either and was the MOTM.

I thought the front rowers were the stars. Amongst other things, shortarsed LHP Domingo got under the heavier and taller Murray all night; Servat had a few runs like a young pup and threw well to the lineout, and the scrummaging and work rate of THP Mas was top notch. No wonder our lads had scrum trouble with those three in November until the LHP and hooker got replaced. If they aren't the best front row in world rugby, and not just for the scrum, I don't know who is.

It must have been great to see that Carlos Spencer pass between the legs by FTD to Harinordoquy to score and their conversion of Scot turnovers into tries, All Black like. France improved out of sight and having a real flyhalf in Trinh-Duc made a difference, though I have to say that Traille, the 10 against Oz, played OK at fullback.

The Scots played as well as they could I thought excepting for the costly turnovers. I mentioned 13. Ansbro before the game and his form for Northampton, and it looked like he was doing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) impersonations, so straight did he run. When you do that it has a wonderful knock-on effect for supporting players.

The star for the Scots though was lock Richie Gray, the young giant. I had seen him a lot for Glasgow this year and for Scotland in 2010, but this was the game he truly announced himself. If anybody is starting a 2013 Lions thread one of these days put this youngsters name on the list. He looks like John Eales at the same age, and that includes running down backs to save tries.

Scotland have a big pack and they won't have so much trouble next weekend against Wales who will still be missing Jenkins and A.Jones. At Murrayfield I pick the Scots to win this one.

12. Mermoz will be out for France and will struggle to get game time to prove himself for the RWC. It's a pity because he is talented and has a different look to his game than Jauzion, who will come back into the starting team in Dublin.

You never know though: knowing Lièvremont, he may pick Traille there.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Team of the Week - Six Nations
ESPNscrum Staff
February 6, 2011

There was a fair amount of ring rust evident across all three games but there were still plenty of stand-out performances. The question is who did enough to earn selection in our Team of the Week?

15. Luke McLean (Italy)

The Aussie-born fullback's try brought the Stadio Flamnio crowd to its feet and put the hosts on course for a famous victory over Ireland. They failed to hold on for the win but the score and McLean's industrious display should serve them well in the coming weeks.

14. Chris Ashton (England)

The England speedster underlined his class with two tries against Wales at the Millennium Stadium. His exemplary vision and support running is set to propel England to great things although he should probably tone down the over-elaborate swan dives.

13. Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland)

With Ireland struggling to dominate a fired-up Italy side it was O'Driscoll - who else? - who forced his way over to swing the game in his side's favour. The job was far from done and it was O'Driscoll's leadership, rather than the odd wayward pass, that helped rally a side taken to the brink by their hosts.

12. Jonathan Davies (Wales)

The 22-year-old's performance against England at the Millennium Stadium was one of the few positives for a Wales side otherwise short of ideas. He pounced on a rare lapse in the England defence to set up team-mate Morgan Stoddart for a try but his memory may yet be soured by a possible citing for a trip on Ashton.

11. Maxime Medard (France)

The fleet-footed Frenchman tormented Scotland with a dazzling display at the Stade de France littered with clean breaks, beaten defenders and tone-setting try in the second minute of the game.

10. Francois Trinh-Duc (France)

Trinh-Duc returned to the France No.10 shirt against Scotland and made it a night many will never forget with an eye-catching display and a sublime piece of skill - a pass between his legs - to help set up a try for team-mate Imanol Harinordoquy.

9. Morgan Parra (France)

A more than able cohort for Trinh-Duc, Parra helped set a lung-busting tempo at the Stade de France with a lively display with ball in hand. Like his half back partner, he benefited from a powerful pack but knew how to exploit that dominance.

1. Thomas Domingo (France)

The power-packed loose-head made veteran Scotland tight-head Euan Murray look like a novice at times at the Stade de France and can lay claim to playing a large part in securing a first half penalty try.

2. Dylan Hartley (England)

Wales tried to rattle Hartley with a verbal grenade or two in the build up to their clash but it was to no avail. The England hooker responded in the best way possible with an impeccable and controlled display.

3. Martin Castrogiovanni (Italy)

The grizzled tight-head was a thorn in Ireland's side in Rome where his contribution with ball in hand was only bettered by backs McLean and Andrea Masi and the super-human Sergio Parisse. As ever, he was a formidable force at scrum time whilst cutting down more than his fair share of Irish attackers.

4. Richie Gray (Scotland)

The 21-year-old was making only his fourth start for Scotland in Paris but looked very much at home in the heat of the Stade de France battle. His youthful exuberance and wide-ranging skill set laid the foundation for a lung-busting effort in defence and attack.

5. Tom Palmer (England)

A towering presence in the England lineout, the athletic Palmer also weighed in with his fair share of tackles during a bruising encounter in Cardiff. Set to be a conrerstone of England's World Cup campaign at this rate.

6. Tom Wood (England)

The England debutant thrived in the cauldron-like atmosphere of the Millennium Stadium where he left an impressive six defenders in his wake. His stats also boast a significant 48m with ball in hand, 13 tackles and the odd lineout win.

7. Julien Bonnaire (France)

A pivotal link-man in an all-action display from France against the Scots, Bonnaire made his presence felt throughout with a bone-crunching tackle count, three lineout claims and several charges into the heart of the Scotland defence.

8. Imanol Harinordoquy (France)

Back in the starting XV, the ever-influential Harinordoquy was a commanding presence in the loose, the scrum and the lineout while also grabbing a try that helped him edge out the likes of Italy's Sergio Parisse, Scotland's Kelly Brown, England's Nick Easter and Ireland's Sean O'Brien in an ultra-competitive battle for our No.8 berth.

http://www.espnscrum.com/sixnations2011/rugby/story/133919.html

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
As soon as Harinordoquy got the try, I thought "now everyone will say he played well." It's the Spin It Wide brigade, naza!

(Shit, now I'm appealing to naza for sense. Bad sign.)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I've got to promise you - I never saw that before I wrote what I did. I knew that Jauzion had been called in to the squad for Dublin but I imagined he would start. Traille is not too bad as a centre but there is no counterpoint between Traille and Rougerie in the midfield. They are the same player, more or less.

Still, the way Drico and D'Arcy played together in Rome, it should be a good enough pairing. Have never seen D'Arcy play a worse game and BOD's pass, that should have resulted in a try, just missed the Touch Judge's noggin.

Status
Not open for further replies.