• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

6 Nations 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
As tempting as it is to denounce the Welsh as cheating bastards who stole the game from under us yesterday thanks to Kraplan's incompetence, we only have ourselves to blame for losing that game

And as much as I hate to say ill of a man who has been a great servant to Ulster rugby, Paddy Wallace really did bugger the dog on that try scoring opportunity right at the death (it was a Kearney-esque mistake). You should always score the try first before worrying about how difficult the conversion will be for your kicker.

dougdew99

Allen Oxlade (6)
If that's the best England can do, we don't have much to fear... Johnny made an immediate difference when he came on... what a great player...

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Pretty average game from us a bit disappointing but Scotland are a good team and have a quality back row with the Three B's. Richie Gray isn't too shabby either, made a real impact since he has been included.

Saw Ben youngs in an academy tournament a few years back, I think it was 2005 ish. Anyway he was playing in a pretty solid Tigers team but he was the spark in the team, no-one else stood out like him. He has absolute pace as well.

Come on England!!! first Grand Slam since 2003 is on

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Kidney: We have to get over it

Ireland coach Declan Kidney has told his players to swallow their anger and move on from the frustration of Saturday's controversial 19-13 defeat to Wales.

Ireland's faint Six Nations title hopes were extinguished at the Millennium Stadium when a try by Mike Phillips was incorrectly allowed to stand, leaving a sour taste in Irish mouths.

The try, scored from a quick line-out, should have been disallowed for a variety of reasons, but touch judge Peter Allan failed to spot that the laws had been breached.

Ireland were infuriated by the decision, but Kidney insists his side must show their character by rallying in time for England's visit to Dublin on Saturday.

"Our job is to prepare for the next game. It's as simple and brutal as that," he said. "If we keep looking at the past we'll never get anywhere. If there's an hour or two of that, let's do it.

"But then we have to get on with it and then get ourselves ready for the next game. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, that's the test. This tests the team. I don't think it will be hard to get this calibre of player ready for England."

Phillips' 50th-minute touchdown proved to be the decisive score and hooker Rory Best left little doubt over the repercussions of Allan's blunder.

"There's no doubt it was a real momentum-swinger that got their tails up. It was a big change in everyone's mindset," he said. "Everyone has seen the footage and it speaks for itself. But we feel we had enough chances before and after the dubious decision that it shouldn't really have mattered."

Ireland will equal their worst Six Nations performance should they lose to England. In 2008 they lost two out of five games, resulting in the removal of coach Eddie O'Sullivan, who had presided over a dreadful World Cup the previous year.

Ireland will enter the climax of their tournament fired by an understandable sense of grievance and Best insists Grand Slam-chasing England offer a good opportunity to restore morale.

"England are the last game in the championship and our last competitive game before the World Cup," said Best. "England are on a great roll at the moment so it's a real opportunity to get back to winning ways and secure our first Six Nations win at the Aviva Stadium. Regardless of what happened against Scotland, it's a game that we desperately want to win."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd

This Six Nations has increasingly concived me that Irish Rugby should let the Golden Generation go following the RWC and begin to build a new team around younger players like the two Seans O'Brien and Cronin.

It feels like Ireland are living in the past (hence the text in bold) and increasingly relying on men like BOD, D'Arcy, Paulie, ROG, Strings and Wally (D not P!) to produce those old moments of magic to bring home the wins.

The problem is that most nations in international rugby long ago figured out each of these player's games and now know how to negate their impact on matches.

I have a horrible feeling 2011 New Zealand is going to play out like 2007 France MK. II. But as ever, nothing is certain in sport. Maybe we'll skin the Poms next week and I'll put these ruminations aside until the Wobs thrash us in the pool stages.

Kidney still needs to give P. Wallace the boot and put an outside back on the bench mind. Now.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
If that's the best England can do, we don't have much to fear... Johnny made an immediate difference when he came on... what a great player...

I will never say what you just have in a world cup year, too many lessons have been learnt.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The error of the touchie, Allan, was reprehensible but the Ireland players had no control over that. What they had control over was the execrable kick to touch out on the full by Sexton, which put the lineout closer to the Ireland goal line than it should have been. After a decent kick the Wales players would have been going back towards their own goal line to get to the lineout making a quick throw-in less likely.

Would I have been so detached if that happened to the Wallabies - hell no; I'd be raising hell.

Strangely, I don't blame Kaplan for this: it is the direct responsibility of the AR to keep his eye on the ball kicked out. The referee is scoping whether or not a lineout is forming and whether the attacking backs are back 10 and setting the mark of the mid line on the ground - the other AR lines up with, and checks, the defending backline.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Chris Aston

Ben Cohen said on total rugby that Aston is one of the best , probably THE BEST winger in the world ATM. Is this guy for real. Aston hasn't even earned the right too be in the top 5 wingers in the world. After the world cup people may be able to have that opinion.

Go the force!!!!

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Strangely, I don't blame Kaplan for this: it is the direct responsibility of the AR to keep his eye on the ball kicked out. The referee is scoping whether or not a lineout is forming and whether the attacking backs are back 10 - the other AR lines up with, and checks, the defending backline.

Secretly agree with you. Touchies don't want to be touchies any more. Too busy looking for crossing in midfield to see whether ball's in touch.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
That's made my weekend. Suck a fat one ENG. Grand slammed back into the ground where you belong.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Great win to the Irish 24 - 8 !!

England are the Waratahs of the North (well, okay, maybe not that bad).

D

daz

Brilliant Ireland! Never looked like losing from the first kick. The Poms looked like the occasion of a grand slam was a bit tight around the neck. Hopefully they will carry that into September...

Now let's see if the French decide to mutiny against Lievremont and hand Wales the 27 points they need to win the championship. I really, really hope so.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Fulltime 24-8 Ireland = one happy and soon to be celebrating Irishman. Steve Thompson scored a brillant intercept try too. Good times.

D

daz

Great win to the Irish 24 - 8 !!

England are the Waratahs of the North (well, okay, maybe not that bad).

The Poms are nothing like the Tahs. I actually like some of the Tahs players and occasionally barrack for them....

Under no circumstances would I barrack for the Poms. Ever.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Poms are nothing like the Tahs. I actually like some of the Tahs players and occasionally barrack for them....

Under no circumstances would I barrack for the Poms. Ever.

I'm with you.

Tahs deserved nothing on their performance, though. Realise that I have to care to type that.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
Despite the English loss today, I'm still worried about the Wallabies potentially playing England in a world cup semi final.
When this English side turn it on, they're seriously good, and they seem to rise to the occasion when they play us. I'm still traumatised by that game at Twickenham last year, we just seemed to wilt and we were lucky not to lose by more.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Despite the English loss today, I'm still worried about the Wallabies potentially playing England in a world cup semi final.
When this English side turn it on, they're seriously good, and they seem to rise to the occasion when they play us. I'm still traumatised by that game at Twickenham last year, we just seemed to wilt and we were lucky not to lose by more.

Agreed. Still really stoked for the Ireland win though.

Status
Not open for further replies.