• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

A honest question from a Kiwi about Richie and Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

codex156

Stan Wickham (3)
Hey all, I have been around these boards for a while and while not a mad writer as some here (yes hugh jarse I am looking at you lol) I have been a life long lover of rugby and in particular the great rivalry between the All Blacks and the Wallabies.

I remember as a child watching with absolute dismay as names like Campese and Farr-Jones were cried out as they crossed the line against us or watched a bone crunching tackle from George Smith turning over vital ruck ball that would be spun out to the most dangerous back line in the world. I remember attending my first live game in 1992 and watching those men in gold trotting out to do war with the old foe again.

But recently I have had a question that keeps buzzing around my head and I thought why not put myself firmly into it and ask the question here on a forum where I know I will get input from Aussies and Kiwis who are educated about the game and love it as much as I do.

The question is this: Why is Richie hated by alot of people in Australia in particular?

I mean he does infringe I do not deny this at all but Australia has David Pocock who is just as bad and George Smith who was regularly penalized at the break down, Phil Waugh was often pinged as well and there are no rabid protests over them. I have seen people blame him but the refs control the game and given his 112 match background and zero yellow card count surely this would count for something?

I am reminded of the Richard Hadlee saga where he was abused by Australian crowds for being one of the best there was in what he did. I have been told by aussie friends of mine that the more stick you are given the more aussies like you because if they didn't give a crap then they would not acknowledge you in the first place but it just leaves me confused. I understand not liking a player, there are many that I do not but it seems rather personal when it comes to Richie and I thought I would ask and see what the green and gold members here can do to help educated me.

Cheers all :)

codex

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It is a mark of some high regard that he is so discussed, signifying that he is such a key player for the All Blacks, as you state in your last paragraph. He is, and has been, a major thorn in our side over the last decade. Carter is very good, but playing at 10, he is not really at the edge of the laws where Richie thrives, as does any great loose forward. Hence he is more vanilla. If McCaw was as good as he is, at say 4 or 5, he would probably be much less talked about.
I don't think he is hated, in any true sense of the word. I don't recall him being collectively booed from match to match, for instance. ;)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is in the job description of a #7 to flaunt the laws.

Similarly a #9 must be a smart Alec cheating runt.

If Sir Richie GOAT was born in Sydney, I don't know what the fuss would have been about, although there may have been some grief coming from North of the Tweed river come State of the Union time.

codex156

Stan Wickham (3)
I was reading the Sydney Morning Herald and the article they had about Richie's book and his comments he made about Quade here it is for reference:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/mccaw-players-like-quade-get-sorted-20121009-27an6.html

It was reading the comments underneath that prompted me to ask this question mainly but it has been floating around for a while, listening to the channel nine commentry team as I get it from a friend of mine over there makes me wonder sometimes about Phil Kearns, he was no angel during his career lol

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
McCaw is not hated in Australia. The kiwi media like to play it up that way, and a lot of kiwis seem to think he is. But I couldn't name one person I know personally who really hates him with any sort of passion - and I mix with many rugby fans. He is widely respected.

I think there is a widespread belief and understanding that the all blacks have at times got away with things that other teams have or would not. Partly because they push the rules more, and party because everyone in the rugby world (including referees) is often fed a mythical narrative about the All Black jersey and those who wear it. McCaw is the personification of the All Black narrative, and as such when people seek to criticise it, much of the criticism is directed in some way at him personally.

Myself, I dont really hate* anyone I dont know personally. I dislike Ali Williams a lot, Andrew Hore also rubs me the wrong way for some reason; and Bryce Lawrence of course. But I have a lot of respect for McCaw, Smith, Read, Kaino, Nonu and Thorn.

*I make exceptions for certain waratahs players, and poms.

codex156

Stan Wickham (3)
HAHA I got to admit, the Poms make me cringe, I swear I may not be a Wallabie fan but I was wearing Green and Gold during the England v Australia final during the World Cup that you hosted, I was barracking all the way for you guys to pull out the win. If we have to lose at least let the Aussies win it.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It is a mark of some high regard that he is so discussed, signifying that he is such a key player for the All Blacks, as you state in your last paragraph. He is, and has been, a major thorn in our side over the last decade. Carter is very good, but playing at 10, he is not really at the edge of the laws where Richie thrives, as does any great loose forward. Hence he is more vanilla. If McCaw was as good as he is, at say 4 or 5, he would probably be much less talked about.
I don't think he is hated, in any true sense of the word. I don't recall him being collectively booed from match to match, for instance. ;)
I thought the ABs were the ones with the Thorn in their side?

I don't think he's really hated. I don't know any real rugby fan who doesn't have great respect for him as a player, it's just we all wish he didn't play on a team that beats us 10 times in a row.

J

Jay

Codex - McCaw has definitely been yellow carded. Only once though, I'm pretty sure.

Checked scrum.com - 2006 vs Wales.

codex156

Stan Wickham (3)
I was refering to test yellow cards, I have seen him carded at Super level, I should have been more clear

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I mean he does infringe I do not deny this at all but Australia has David Pocock who is just as bad and George Smith who was regularly penalized at the break down, Phil Waugh was often pinged as well and there are no rabid protests over them. I have seen people blame him but the refs control the game and given his 112 match background and zero yellow card count surely this would count for something?

I don't hate him. He strikes me as quite a decent bloke.

He seemed to get away with things that others did not - which is reasonably frustrating. That is not strictly his fault (as you say, the referees are in control), but there you go. There are others around the world that get away with almost as much though.

His running battle with Quade Cooper is pretty irritating as well. Anyone that says that QC (Quade Cooper) is solely to blame for all that crap has never been to a live match where those two have played (i.e. - the stuff that is not televised and occurs off the ball). McCaw knows how to push QC (Quade Cooper)'s buttons.

*edit* to play as long as he has at the level he has is quite clearly remarkable - and he is obviously extremely gifted and seems to work really hard to stay at the level as well. This must be inspirational to others as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.